new gears - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2006, 12:08 PM
Drive Fast, Take Chances!!

Wiki Edits: 0

new gears

i recently put new gears in my 86 GMC k1500. now since i changed the gears my speedometer is off. i know i have to change a gear in the transfer case but going from 3.08 to 3.73. how do i change this gear and is there more than one gear that i need to change?

Also i put a whole rearend in the rear. it is a 3.73 posi out of a 1988 blazer,
i pulled the cover off and the setup is a bar across the spider gears with springs and like a little flipper thing. when ever i spin it spins one wheel then sometimes catches both wheels. is there a way i can tighten this up so they both spin right away?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2006, 08:42 PM

Remove the speedometer cable where it attaches to the transfer case (speedo adapter). Remove the bolt and bracket that hold the speedo adapter into the transfer case. The gear that is in the speedo adapter is calibrated for the 3.08 gears. You made a 21% change to the diff gears, make a 21% change to the speedo gear. Multiply the number of teeth on the speedo gear by 21%. That number represents the new number of teeth needed for the speedo gear.

The diff you installed is called a "Gov lock" posi. It is intended to run open when there is little or no wheel spin and gradually apply pressure when the centrifical force opens the "flipper thing". This diff is notorious for failing under hard driving. If you intend to do burnouts, buy a performance posi BEFORE you explode the one in the diff now.....
Old 12-07-2006, 10:25 AM
Drive Fast, Take Chances!!

speedo gear

Last night i went to my friends house and we pulled two transfer cases apart one for 3.08 and one for 3.73, the 3.08 was out of a rig so it was easy to get to, to get the mechanism out we had to pull the tailshaft off, which was easy. it had a blue inner gear and a black outer gear. we pulled the 3.73 one out with out pulling the tailshaft off. it had a white inner gear and an light blue outer gear.

Do I have to pull the inner gear out or are they the same for all gear ratios? I would rather not pull the tailshaft off of my transfer case even though it is an easy job

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.