new girl on the block... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2005, 07:55 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

new girl on the block...

Okay, I need some guidance. I have decided to change my long term career of mural painting to custom car painting. I know how to paint and I know how to airbrush. I hang out with a bunch of race car drivers who are MORE than willing to let me practice on their cars.

Here's what I don't know. I don't know how to get started. I don't know what is the best paint to use or where to get it. I don't know how to figure out what to charge. I don't know what kind of gun and power supply will be best.

If anyone has good solid information for me that can help me learn and help me break into this business, I would be forever greatful. I love beautiful and fast cars, I love men that have a passion for cars, and I love the way a great paint job looks on a car. I want to develop a career that I can enjoy, not just make money at (although that helps too)

Please contact me with any assistance you would be willing to give.

Ciao!

Tracy

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2005, 08:06 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

painting

The best place to pick up customers is at car shows. I dont know much about painting but I am sure the airbrush supply vendors could give you some good info. You may also want to get some business cards to local body shops and interior shops. Hotrodders spend a lot of time and money at these and are always looking for references to get custom paint work done.

Good Luck
Old 08-23-2005, 11:03 AM

Last journal entry: metal finish

Go to an autobody supply store.. they can direct u. i think house of kolor paints are what most people use to airbrush cars and bikes etc.. some people use auto air colors from createx but i personally dont like how they spray since they are water based... house of kolor is solvent based and atomizes better. if you want check out www.autobodydepot.com they have alot of stuff for airbrushing.. paints, templates even airbrushes and equiptment. good prices as well.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:16 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Airbrush of choice is an Iwata top feed.Different models for different need's.
Most ANY top line urethane paint will work, Most of the top painter's prefer House of Kolor due to it's rich pigment/vivid color's.
For "schooling" Get any of Craig Fraisers vid's.
Mike Lavale's vid's/DVD are excellent as well.

Your WORK will speak for itself if your GOOD,You'll have NO problem getting job's.

Pay is dependant on what your worth. $40.00 -200.00 an hour.

www.airbrush.com is a well known site with good info.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:01 PM

start like this

Figure that whatever you spray will be clearcoated....so use reduced basecoats. Body shops like mine have lots of little cans of paint left over from jobs. Take as many of the little jars you have down to your local body shop..Give the owner your charm and intentions, and unless he is busy or an ******* you can probly get many diff colors. In the begining I would suggest basic shades, untill you find the colors and chariters of each paint. IE some are more translucent, others cover in 1 coat. I have had airbrush artists come to my shop and paint over my base and then I clear over their work. Stunning results. Of course it would be smart to shake the paint well and write down the code so you could duplicate it later. You could even go directly to the paint supplier that has a mixing station and get a little of each primary color, and the formulas to make any color....thats a lot of color!
Old 08-23-2005, 01:12 PM

Last journal entry: Harley/Fire
Last photo:

I use House of Kolor, One-Shot enamels and typical MS base colors under a clear compatible for them. Test compatibility as I had a problem with the base solvent lifting a low-tack stencil once. As said above- Read a lot, experiment more! Some color blends that work well with standard airbrush inks like Badger,etc. when done with automotive colors will muddy up a bit. Test before spray is what I say... any more specific questions I'm sure we'll be glad to help! DJ
Old 08-23-2005, 05:24 PM

Last journal entry: 99 soft tail standard I painted
Last photo:

I bought a Iwata HC air brush,it came with a kit that included a small compressor.It just plugs right into the wall.The kit comes with everything you need to start spraying.I think it was about 375$.Don't even wast your money with one of those cheap ones.All it will do is disappoint you!Also ...I would recommend a Sata mini jet for large cover work.Good luck and happy hunting!
Old 08-23-2005, 08:54 PM

Last photo:

Not trying to steal your thread but I just purchased a Badger 3155. I really got this for my wife to play do art work with ie automotive, pictures whatever... and me to learn on. What do you guys think about this airbrush for starting out?
Old 08-23-2005, 09:27 PM

Last photo:

Tracy, Charge by the hour and increase your rate as your skill level improves. Use automotive basecoat colors, this way your artwork will be compatible with the automotive urethane clears that are usually applied over the work. I've seen HOK offers an assortment of airbrush colors or you can do what I did and buy a selection of colors from an automotive paint distributor. If you go with an economy line like PPG Omni, Dupont Nason, or Akzo Nobel Utech it'll save you quite a few coins. My PPG supplier helped me out with about a dozen pint sized colors for about $80 which have lasted for quite awhile. That's the great thing about this kind of work materials are minimal. You'll also need some intercoat clear or regular mixing binder to weaken colors and also seal previous work for tapeouts, etc. I by no means have any amount of airbrush talent worth mentioning but if you are good you can make a good living out of this work. There's a guy up the road from me that always has a full schedual, master airbrush and pinstiping guru, his rate is $150 per hour and he picks and chooses his jobs. Good luck with it! If you have any questions related to automotive paint use you can be sure the members here will be able to answer them. Watch your health using these paints, a respirator is required. Bob
Old 08-24-2005, 05:53 AM

Last photo:

do yourself a favor and subscribe to airbrush action magazine. they also have a hugh line of videos. these will really help out and tell you everything from different paint systems, prep, and finish.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:42 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

You may want to check out Ebay for airbrush paints,
there's some good assortment kits there too.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.