Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - New GM ZZ383 Stroker Oil Consumption
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 05:57 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Interesting thought on the dipstick. The spec is a 5 Quart oil pan with filter. Hard to think the installer would have added more than 5. I will be talking with him tomorrow. As far as smoke... I set the idle mixture screws last week and got 17" at 750 RPM's. The motor running smooth as can be. I have a vacuum gauge temp mounted and have been monitoring it. The motor draws 21" criusing down the hiway at 70 MPH. 27"+ on deceleration. With that said when I rev it up in the driveway no smoke! BUT.. Last night it was cold up here in MA and I drove down to CT in the dark. I was keeping up with the traffic 70 - 75 (~3500 RPM) and noticed looking in my rearview mirror that when I hit the gas I saw smoke?? Could not tell what color it was??? That was a 50 mile criuse. On the way home at midnight I decided to back it down. Cruised at 65 for about 15 min, then 57 for about 35 min, and 50 for the final 10 min. When I got home and pulled into the garage I noticed that my idle was down to 650 form 750 and I was only drawing 14.5" down from 17", and it smelled rich. Hmm. I have more but I think I am getting a bit wordy....