New GM ZZ383 Stroker Oil Consumption - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 05:10 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I may have found my problem with smoking on start up. I'm using a breather on the right side valve cover that came off of a 1970 Chevy truck the hose goes to a stack that fits under the air cleaner. On the left side a pcv valve in a aluminum cover that looks like a push in breather. The inside of the right side breather has fins in the piece that pushes in the valve cover. This was gunked up and would not vent. After cleaning the breather and changing over to a AC Delco pcv valve I no longer have oil smoke on start up. I kept my first oil filter I cut open and noticed no metal in it. Where is the serial number on this block? I think my engine was made in Sept or Oct. of 2012

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 07:19 PM

No metal in the filter is good to hear

I am using all GM components to be safe. Right down the the PVC valve. My PVC is on the passengers side rear and my breather is on the drivers side front. As far as the serial number. I will have to look at the motor to see where it is. I got the number off the crate that the motor came in. I believe the motor was built in May of 2012. My car is in winter storage now. GM wants me to put more miles on the motor since the rocker arm studs were sealed. I used more than half a quart after the studs were sealed in 600 miles, wich was an improvment, but still more than I think it should. They will not talk until the motor has 4000 miles on it. I have ~2500 now and given that it is stored for the winter, who know when I will get closure on this issue.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:13 AM

hey guys I was doing a search on zz383 oil consumption; when I happened to stumble upon this page, so I registered.

My zz383 which was purchased this year is having the same issue as many of you are having (It also has a summer 2012 build date). I have around 4,000 to 5,000 miles on it; and its eating about 1 quart per 400-500 miles. I'm not getting any smoke on startup/idle. but it is smoking on deceleration.

I spoke to GM they are doing a compression test/leak down test on it now at the dealership. It looks like GM really dropped the ball on this engine! I'm really upset; to make matters worse GM is trying everything to not pay up/fix the issue it seems.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:16 PM

ZZ383 Bad new continues I guess...

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your ZZ383 similar to mine. If I was a betting man I would say that they forgot to seal the intake studs, and the oil is getting sucked into the intake chambers. If you read all my post you will see what I have learned. The ZZ383 Stroked pulls a ton of vacuum. And given that you are seeing smoke on decel, that is when the motor is drawing the most. Keep me posted. One would think that if we could get enough folks together who purchased problematic ZZ383's in 2012 that GM owes us something.....
Old 01-08-2013, 09:57 PM

Hello. Years ago i bought 300hp crate motor and it had a oil leak. The warr. said any chevy dealer across the nation could work on it. Do you have a chevy dealer near you to take it to. That will eliminate the middle man (your installer). I had to take mine back 4 times at no cost to me. Gm is jerking you around so maybe you will get better help from a dealer with a good service dept. and let them work with gm's BS.

Good luck

Don
Old 01-09-2013, 07:00 PM

Talking Directly with GM

I am now communicating directly with GM So ??? The installer has been very helpful. And GM warranty folks have been OK. I am just tired of having to monitor everything I do. I think the correct move on their part if customer service was of concern would have been to send me another motor that was inspected prior to shipment.

My time is not their concern. The waiting continues until spring..........
Old 04-10-2013, 07:46 AM

zz383 oil consumption

I have my truck with the zz383 in it at the dealership now and they are going to put valve seals on it today.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:22 AM

Last photo:

WOW, GM sure has had a lot of issues with the 383 engines. When they 1st came out years ago, GM had to redesign the pistons slightly oversize pistons(4.005) to help to quiet them down.

These 383's have been out for over 11 years now(since 2002), you'd think GM would have them down pat by now.

GMPP doesnt seem to be having the same issues with the HT383 (340hp) or the HT383-E (direct replacement for 96-99 GMT400 Vortec 350 trucks/SUV's).
The Fastburn headed ZZ383(425hp) and the HT383 and HT383-E all share the exact same longblocks(crank/rods/block/pistons) only differnce is the cam and heads. ZZ383 uses the 220║/230║ duration @0.050" lift and lift of 509"/.528" lift(p/n 12370846) and the HT383/HT383-E runs the same cam as the Ramjet 350 crate and teh GM marine engines with 196║/206║ duration@0.050" lift and lift of 0.431"/0.451" witha 109║LSA(p/n-14097395).

The reason the engine pull so much vacuum isnt necessarily because of its stroke, its because of the discplacement itself.
The ZZ383/HY383/HT38/383-E) all use a 4.00 bore and 3.80 stroke which equals 383cid. You could have the exact same displacement engine built differently like 5.52" bore and 2" stroke for 382.9 cid. Both are 383 engines.

1 thing for sure, I would not be babying this engine around. The redline is 6000rpm, and I for sure would have had this engine there several times by now. The rods in the GM 383 engines are certified to 500hp.

The limited production ZZ430.430hp 350 crate, ZZ385-350cid crate, and the ZZ383-425hp/383 all use the same 210cc Fastburn heads. I wonder if GMPP has had issues with those engines as well?

I had a buddy install a ZZ383 in his 57 Chev, I'll have to check with him to see how its working.

good luck with your GMPP engines. I would love to have a ZZ383 engine, but for around the same money, a 525hp GEN 4 crate can be had. Or go grab a junkyard 6.2(376), drop in a cam and enjoy 500+hp.

peace
Hog
Old 04-11-2013, 09:02 AM

i returned my zz383 and got my money back. what a horrible piece of workmanship.

gm basically told me to pound sand and would not offer any help/warranty, the worst customer service i have ever experienced. i hope many people read this post and decide not to go with a GMPP engine. i was given the run around for 6 months.

never buying a GMPP ever again. horrible quality.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:45 AM

i dont mean to be bitter about my previous post. but i was absolutely shocked and still AM shocked at how GM treats a customer who pays $5000 for an engine. No wonder why other companies are taking over the American market. wake up gm. the customer is always right!
Old 04-11-2013, 10:39 AM

Getting a bad felling

I am just bringing my car out of winter hibernation. I have been instructed by GM to put more miles on the motor (4000) before they will reevaluate my oil issue. I have another 1200 to go. Does not look good so far.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:48 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by airsmith View Post
I am just bringing my car out of winter hibernation. I have been instructed by GM to put more miles on the motor (4000) before they will reevaluate my oil issue. I have another 1200 to go. Does not look good so far.
Please let up know how it turns out.

Good luck!

peace
Hog
Old 04-17-2013, 03:24 PM

The dealship replaced my valve seals and the engine still smokes. They pulled the right head and it was loaded with oil. GM instructs the dealer to now take out the rocker studs and seal them, replace the valve seals with umbrella type seals, and replace the Edelbrock intake gasket with a GM gasket. Before I carried the truck to the dealer I measured the vacuum in each valve cover with a inches of WC gauge with the pcv system unhooked. I noticed no vacuum on the gauge after a extended idle so I'd say the intake gasket didn't leak.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:50 PM

Looks like the intake gasket was my problem. The bottom side of gasket did not crush and oil was pulled from the lifter valley to Number 2 and 4. The engine does not smoke now when starting it or after an extended period of idling. I'll drive it for a few days and watch the oil level.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:24 PM

I have all GM gaskets of my motor. That was the first question the asked my installer. As if there parts are the best. lol... But given the way they they try to wear us down, that will probably be next for me... As mentioned earlier, this is not my daily driver and GM wants miles on the motor before they will investigate futher. So I am working on that and so for the consumption is better since they sealed the stems, but still under 1000/Qt.

Tags
gmpp 383 stroker, new 383 crate, new zz383, zz383 break in, zz383 oil

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.