Hot Rod Forum banner

New gun purchase today

998 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Quadzilla(EFI) 
#1 ·
I was doing some prepratory shopping today in anticipation of painting a 1958 Anglia and ran accross an Iwata LPH-400 LV4. I promptly purchased it for $59.00 + tax. Anyway, after a thorough search for a manual, I haven't been able to find anything other than a sales circular listing the specs. I'm not sure as to fluid tip(think it's probably a 1.4, due to the LV4 part of the number). From reading some info on this gun, it appears it's a good gun for clears, and that's exactly what I bought it for, but if it is a 1.4 I'm thinking I need to get a new needle/cap for a 1.3. Am I on the right track on this line of thinking?

D.

#2 ·
If you can buy any more at that price scoop them up while you still can!!!! I use a 1.3 in mine but the gun also works really good with a 1.4 so try it. It's a different animal so be prepared. Set your pressure at about 20psi with the gun at a half trigger pull and tune from there. Try two turns out on the fluid as a baseline. It's an atomizing machine IMO. Bob

#3 ·
The nozzle should have it's size stamped on it. Pull the air cap off and look at it.
Run the FAN knob wide open and adjust the FLUID knob for you pattern.
Like Bob said,run at LEAST 20 at the gun regulator with the trigger FULLY pulled.I like around 22-25 depending on the clear.
This gun will drop about 10# from "air" to "full" so adjust it with the trigger fully pulled.
Get CLOSE in with the gun.Painting 5-6" off the panel is NORMAL.Not that you can't paint 8-10" out but THIS is what it's DESIGNED to paint at. Yeah,I know,but IT is DIFFERENT. This gun will AMAZE you at HOW it paints and I would recommend,no,EMPHASIZE that you PRACTICE with it BEFORE getting close to the car with it.

It IS a different animal and once you learn IT,You won't clear with anything else.

Musta been an "ex" wife deal. Thats unbelievable considering they go from 350-400.00. :thumbup:

#4 ·
Thanks for the information. After looking very closely at the tip, I found 1.4 stamped on one of the flats. On another question, I was really wanting to know which knob/control was for what. I'm fairly familiar with the fluid control, and fan control, but not sure what the added control down by the air connection, just to the front of the attachment point. None of my cheapy guns have this adjustment on them. Also, the front of the fluid tip has 4 little "V-shaped" notches in it, I've never seen a gun with this type of tip before. It appears to be a good gun.

I must have lucked out when I found this one. The guy almost knocked $10 off the price as it was, but his boss said no at the most inopportune time.

D.

#5 ·
The adjustment down by the air line is just a built in air regulator, many guns have them. Adjust it wide open and use a quality air regulator at the air inlet with a guage. Everyone sprays a little different, so try the gun at Bee4me's settings and adjust from there, I shoot a little higher pressure than him and about 7 inches from the surface. Different products also require a little different setup, generally thicker paints need more air to break them up, etc. Test it out! Bob

#9 ·
The knock off would be obvious as it "should" have IWATA on the handle if it's real.
IF you need a good gun regulator for it.Harbor has an HVLP regulator for like $10.00 that is a nice piece. It will flow plenty of air for that gun.
I have shot clear at 30# but I really like the low overspray shooting at the lower PSI. I'm color sanding anyway,and even at this psi,the peel is almost nonexistant.
That "cross" design tip is the secret to it's atomization and product output.
It still amazes me that I can get an 8-9" pattern at 5-6" off the panel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.