New Guy - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2004, 02:36 PM
Ferguson Coachbuilding

Last journal entry: '41 Chevy sedan
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

New Guy

Hi Folks,
I'm new to hotrodders.com. I made a couple posts in the exterior-body forum, but have taken Kevin's advice to send an intro. My name is Randy Ferguson, I'm 33, married, with two children, 12 and 7. I've been into hot rodding for nearly 20 years now. My first car was a '68 Chevy II, which I still own.... Probably always will. Straight out of high school I opened my own body shop and did that for a few years, got burned out, swore I would never touch another car again, became a plumber, got the itch to build cars again, then took on the position of painter in a local collision shop. I also work on hot rods and kustoms in my spare time in my own shop and am having the time of my life. I've had an interest in metalshaping for a long time, but really got heavily involved in it about 4 years ago. I now host the largest metalshaping event in the world. The Inernational MetalMeet is a gathering of metalshapers from around the world to get together for a full week of hands on panel beating, art work, coachbuilding, etc. This year will be our largest event to date, with 250 metalshaping professionals and enthusiasts in attendence.
If interested, you can check us out on the web at www.metalmeet.com
I'm in the process of going full time in the metalshaping profession and get away from the collision work entirely. Banging metal and kustom painting is so much more relaxing! I hope it's OK to post pictures here of some of my past projects. I have very little time to work on my own hot rod, which is undergoing a near entire re-body, but it's a '37 Olds coupe, which will have a whole new look when finished, as I'm scratch building most of the car, including a radical new roof line. I had it nearly completed once in the traditional fashion, but went nuts about two years ago and sliced the roof back off after a 3" chop and started on the transformation. I am so busy with custom work though that I have to watch it get covered in dust most of the time. Here is a look at a couple of the projects I've worked on in the past 2-3 years. The purple '50 Caddy is one of the most fun cars I've had the pleasure to work on. The '41 Chevy is a little wild for my taste, but it gets lots of attention. It was featured on ESPN2 Mother's Car Show Series last year, following Street Rod Nationals South in Knoxville, TN. Also attached is a picture of me lounging around on my benchtop model english wheel during MetalMeet2003. I didn't think I had a current picture of my Olds, but I managed to find one. It's in a ugly stage right now, but it should come around soon. The last picture is of a '39 Ford rear fender I just repaired. The lower six inches of it had to be replaced, due to a botched previous repair job.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2004, 02:50 PM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last journal entry: Running boards (part DUEX)
Last photo:

Welcome, Rany... er Randy. Looks like you do some nice work. Now you just have to work on your rod on your breaks and at dinner to get something done on it.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:07 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

All I have to say Is those are some damn nice rides. Welcome aboard and hope to see and hear more from you. You will be an asset to the community with those talents. Enjoy and have fun.

Kevin
Old 03-07-2004, 06:48 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

Welcome to Hotrodders.com

nice to meet you. make yourself at home.

benchtop???? i'd hate to see the floor model
Old 03-07-2004, 10:43 PM
Ferguson Coachbuilding

Last photo:

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the big welcome and all the compliments. Y'all have a great forum here. Sure can't read it all in an evening though. My english wheel, as far as I know is the largest manually operated wheel in the world! The column is 19"sq. x 8' tall. the base plate is 44" sq and the throat depth is 61" It big enough to handle anything I care to put through it. I hate limitations. Kick wheel adjusters and shallow throat depths drive me nuts! The canted lower arm and compact hydraulic adjustment allows panels with lots of curl to be worked in the wheel, without banging into the lower adjustment arm. By working a panel "out of arrangement" or rolling it into a tight radius, the crown in the panel flattens and a wider contact area lower anvil can be used, producing perfectly smooth panels. My upper wheel is 11"x6" and lower anvils are 5.5"x 5.5" approximately. Having a wide upper wheel adds greatly to the stability of the panel. Since it cannot tip easily enough for the top wheel to dig in on the edges, one man can make a much larger panel without having to search for help.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:43 AM

Last photo:

Is it Rany or Randy? I'm cornfuzzed?

Anyway, glad to have you aboard. That's some really impressive metal work you do there. I dig the dropped chevy.

Real nice.

MoocH
Old 03-08-2004, 11:48 AM

Last photo:

Yes, WELCOME! I joined your site. good stuff!
Old 03-08-2004, 05:14 PM
Distracted by shiny objects

Last photo:

Cool

Wow, Randy, awesome cars. Didn't they used to call those lead sleds?
Anyway, welcome. Here....have a beer. If you don't drink there should be some fresh coffee on the hotplate.....

Chickie.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:48 PM
Ferguson Coachbuilding

Last photo:

Hi All,
Thanks again. The name's Randy. I goofed when I registered bu not proof reading before hitting the submit button. On other lists I'm on, you can change the user name, but not this one. It's kinda drivin' me nuts.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:44 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

maybe Jon could intervene?

tell us more about your english wheel.

did you make the frame ?

or maybe better yet, how would you advise someone on how to make their own wheel?

reason i ask, is i want to make a bucket from scratch. just don't know how to get the beautiful curves unless it would be with a wheel.... time and money......

edit.... hold that thought, let me read the metal forum and then we'll see what questions i have.....

see you in a week.

Last edited by crazy larry; 03-08-2004 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:57 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

That sure looks like God's own English wheel! Welcome to HR.com.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:06 AM
Ferguson Coachbuilding

Last photo:

more on the english wheel

Hi guys,
To answer some of Larry's questions, I can go into a much or little detail as you guys want. There is a lot of info at www.metalmeet.com If you look through the over 130 forums, you will find one specifically for english wheels. We have it sorted in such a way that you can find what you're searching for easily, without having to dig through all the archives. The search feature is a good one too. The phpBB setup is pretty nice, much like this forum is, and the gallery is identical. PhotoPost, I think it is.
Anyway, back on topic here. Yes, Larry, I did build the frame. I live in a rural farming community in east central IL. so you never know what the local farmer will have lying around!
A friend of mine is a dairy farmer and he had a stack of 9'x19"x5/16" steel sections from an A.O. Smith silo. They were free for the takin', so I thought, what the heck, they'll make a nice column for the e-wheel. What you don't see is that there is a 3"x1/4" pipe, triangulated braced, inner structure inside the flat side panels. The pipe too was free. In asking around for a piece of thick plate for the base, I asked another friend, who is a boilermaker if he knew of anything. Turns out he had just what I needed. A cut-off of 3/4" plate measuring 44" square. Perfect for the base plate. Another freebie, no less!! The arms are also made from the silo material and are beefed up with an inner structure constructed of oilfield sucker rod. A common scrap yard find here. More free stuff!! For the upper wheel, my metalshaping mentor from Sturbridge, MA., Wray , had just what I needed in his scrap pile. It measures out at about 65Rc hardness and was shipper to Decatur, IN., to CNC Solutions to be hard cut with ceramics. It turned out perfect , and the price was right. Yep, you guessed it. FREE!! While looking for other goodies in the scrap yard one day, I spotted a good sized chunk of 1" plate steel. Perfect for the boltplate to mate the arms to the column. It weighed 200+ pounds, but I was able to wrestle it into my pick-up and get it too the scales. This one really cost me. A whoppin' $68.00 In my search for lower anvil stock, I stopped by a local oil producers shop to see if he had any 6" drill stem, which is high quality DOM tubing. He of course wanted to know hat the heck I was gonna do with it, so I explained to him that I was getting pieces gathered up the build an english wheel, and this stuff would make great lower anvils. Thinking the guy would have no clue what I was talking about, I was prepared to explain what an english wheel was. As it turns out, his son is a sprint car driver and they are big Nascar fans, so he knew right off what I was building. He asked how much I needed, I said 5' will do if you have any. His response was, "If I can play with your wheel when you get it built, you can take all you need" Hmm. more freebies!! Not having a lathe, I went quite a while waiting for a friend to make my lower anvils. Months went by and no progress. MetalMeet2003 was upon us and I didn't have my english wheel finished. A group of guys who had come from all over the country pitched in to help finish it up. My old buddy Wray knew I didn't have the lower anvils ready for MetalMeet, so he brought his along to use in my wheel once we got it assembled. The guys at CNC Solutions, then offered to cut my lower anvils, they hauled the cut pieces of drill stem back with then 4 hours away to cut them for me. Again, they did me a huge favor and would not take a penny for their efforts. A fellow who attended a regional MetalMeet at my shop in January lived just up the road from CNC Solutions and picked the anvils up for me to save shipping.
The lower adjuster is hydraulic and was built by another good friend, Tom Lipton, who flew from his home in CA., to Wray's place in MA., three days prior to MetalMeet to get this thing built. It's a work of art in itself, as Tom is an excellent machinist. Again, more free labor and accessories. I have a 24" section of bolt plate to install yet, which I had not been able to come across any, BUT again, another great metalman came through who works in a shipyard and I'll be seeing that piece in April. It's not so much that I'm cheap. I'm just fortunate to find good deals, I guess!!
The wheel works great!! It has no noticeable flex in any direction and runs extremely smooth. Right now the tooling heads are just temporarily welded on, but will eventually be bolt on units for quick change tooling. I will also eventually have at least three sets of wheels, 4", 5" and 6" widths, as well as several specialized wheels. A special wheel for tipping flanges and one for producing simple radius bends is in the works too. An english wheels is a very versatile tool if you think beyond just stretching the metal between two hard wheels. The possibilities are almost endless. A bead roller is limited by throat depth and will basically only do flat work, but what if you mount roller dies in an e-wheel?? There are several more examples, but that'll have to wait. I'm tired!!!
Here is a picture of my other wheel. This one was a freebie too!!!
Wray designed it. Kerry Pinkerton built it. CNC Solutions donated the upper wheel and I only had to grind the welds, smooth it up and paint it. It's painted with House of Kolor Lapis Blue Shimrin.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.