Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - New Guy with a 37 or 38 ???
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 07:33 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
Please read up on hydrogen embrittlement. This occurs in metals when they are electrolytically plated and manifests itself as free hydrogen atoms being introduced into the parent metal while the plating process is being done. The presence of these atoms in the grain structure can effect destruction of the parent metal at any time and without warning. Baking the parent metal immediately after plating will draw out these hydrogen atoms and make the parent metal serviceable. Problem is, when you come into posession of a plated part, you have no idea whether or not the part was baked. Not sure about removing plating, but I would think the hydrogen atoms will still be in the structure of the metal, even after the chrome is removed. Proceed with caution, your life and the lives of others hang in the balance.
I do believe the Crome was purchased not just plated by some fly by night operation but who knows . I may just rip it out I would prefer the gasser strait front axle but just getting a game plan 1st . But thanks for the input