New Guy with a 37 or 38 ??? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 07:57 PM

Last journal entry: New neon sign for the garage
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I'm seeing a chop here, somewhere between 2 1/2 and 3". Lots of work, but well worth it imho.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 08:37 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

I hate chopped tops. Everybody does it, so there's nothing new and unusual about it. Monkey see, monkey do.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:44 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacytracy View Post
I'm seeing a chop here, somewhere between 2 1/2 and 3". Lots of work, but well worth it imho.
X2 I think it would look good!
Old 01-31-2013, 06:14 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
I hate chopped tops. Everybody does it, so there's nothing new and unusual about it. Monkey see, monkey do.
who cares what you like when you pick everything apart down to a molecular level . LOL...post something useful ...

The main reason there are so many chopped tops is because they look great. chopping a top can be one of the best changes that can be made when well thought out and takes a lot of talent to pull off ,yours seems to be working as far as looking right but may be some trouble finishing for you later on...
I'd say its a biz coupe (The most sought after) to check just look and see if there's any room for a back seat,a biz coupe has none...
Do you have any of the front sheetmetal?show pics of what you have and the dash would be nice too then one of the rear end so we can tell if the deck gaps are rounded or squared off...All I can say for sure is its pre 46 ...
what you have here are the beginnings of a super nice street rod ...dont listen to these inspector types, they're full of themselves.and occasionally stray from their desk...Stick around and post some more pics I have Plymouth biz coupe also...and actually do metalwork,body & paint for a living so maybe I can help
Old 01-31-2013, 06:21 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,085 Times in 968 Posts
Like any modification, is it being done to be "different" or is it being done to make the car look better? In this particular place, I am thinking the stock top is so beautiful and it looks chopped already! It's a very difficult shop taking a lot of time to do nice. Those two factors would lead me to leave it as is, and I love chopped tops.

Many different opinions on something like that. I feel that car was so damn good looking right out of the factory it doesn't need much.

Brian
Old 01-31-2013, 09:24 AM

chrome axle

sell the chrome rather then paint it. most would prefer the chrome over paint, easy sell
Old 01-31-2013, 01:16 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
who cares what you like when you pick everything apart down to a molecular level . LOL...post something useful ...
Yeah, like I've never posted anything useful!!!! You like chops, I don't. Is that a reason to attack me? And yes, I pick everything apart to help those who don't know, so they can understand that there is more to this hobby than buying a bunch of parts and throwing them together and hoping for the best. There actually is some math and science involved and that's what I try to teach.

Quote:
...dont listen to these inspector types, they're full of themselves.and occasionally stray from their desk...
Facts, just stick to the facts. Venemous attacks like this show your ignorance and total lack of understanding.

Quote:
The main reason there are so many chopped tops is because they look great.
This is one person's opinion, not fact. You think they look great, I think they look stupid. So what?
Old 01-31-2013, 01:22 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I feel that car was so damn good looking right out of the factory it doesn't need much.
Brian
I agree.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:43 PM

FWIW, I gotta agree with Brian and tech. The car has a fairly low roofline already. I think it looks great as-is.

PatM
The Following User Says Thank You to PatM For This Useful Post:
37hemidodge (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 03:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:

The main reason there are so many chopped tops is because they look great. chopping a top can be one of the best changes that can be made when well thought out and takes a lot of talent to pull off ,yours seems to be working as far as looking right but may be some trouble finishing for you later on...
I'd say its a biz coupe (The most sought after) to check just look and see if there's any room for a back seat,a biz coupe has none...
Do you have any of the front sheetmetal?show pics of what you have and the dash would be nice too then one of the rear end so we can tell if the deck gaps are rounded or squared off...All I can say for sure is its pre 46 ...
what you have here are the beginnings of a super nice street rod ...dont listen to these inspector types, they're full of themselves.and occasionally stray from their desk...Stick around and post some more pics I have Plymouth biz coupe also...and actually do metalwork,body & paint for a living so maybe I can help
Omg lmao to funny ! I truly like its look with out the chop though ! I my self am not a metal guy I am a Electrician . This will be my 3rd build in five years with out a doubt the favorite . My brother is a welder and I have a few friend that weld also one of my good customers has a large body shop 2 minutes away . The car came as the pic's show no nose at all or int.or dash. The deck lid is Mia as well . I will post more pic's soon . Thanks
Old 01-31-2013, 03:24 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbie View Post
sell the chrome rather then paint it. most would prefer the chrome over paint, easy sell
I'm not sure what direction I am going with the front end yet but the Crome is a little rusted from sitting I guest it's all new never completed the install so just need to look at the options
Old 01-31-2013, 03:52 PM

Last photo:

This car as a straight axle gasser without a chopped top would certainly be welcome in my garage.
The Following User Says Thank You to oldsguy For This Useful Post:
37hemidodge (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 08:48 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

I know three guys building '35-'38 Mopar coupes as gassers right now. You've got a great basis for a gasser, and since so much is missing you're not going to hurt a nice complete resto car.
Here's one of them on another Autoguide site:
My 38 Plymouth project

Old 02-01-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post

Facts, just stick to the facts. Venemous attacks like this show your ignorance and total lack of understanding.

This is one person's opinion, not fact. You think they look great, I think they look stupid. So what?
Like I said who cares what your opinion is especially when its stated like it was.
LOL,why is that these types always say something totally stupid ,like chopped tops look stupid, ON A HOTROD SITE......then call it a venomus attack when someone sits them back down....Then continues by calling that person names. like a child...and I'm the ignorant one???
You want facts ....The OP wanted to know more about the car like the year not your solitary opinions, so why dont you sit down at that computor and help us narrow it down...it should be easy for YOU...
Back to the task at hand...
Without pics of the front sheetmetal we'll need some of the dash and the trunk gaps...
I have a plymouth biz coupe ,mine are 46 and a 48,pretty much identical.. yours is older...one of the give aways is the top of the door jamb at the rear ,its rounded ,that'll tell you something about it...and the small 1/4 glass makes me think its a biz coupe.
heres a site that'll help stop by and give us a shout..http://mopar.pairserver.com/p15d24ph...age/index.html

Last edited by deadbodyman; 02-01-2013 at 06:51 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:04 AM

This looks like the car

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.