Hot Rod Forum banner

New Guy with a 37 or 38 ???

9K views 62 replies 17 participants last post by  deadbodyman 
#1 ·
Hello all looking for some help finding out what I have bought it two days ago guy I got it from said he thought it was a 38 but wasn't to sure I looked on the passenger door pillar and there is no # the # on the cowl is 29341 with a 3d above it is this anything helpful ?:mwink:

#5 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Transport Automotive exterior
thanks for the replies thought these loaded the 1st time . And as for pipe dreams thanks not my 1st build just my 1st post here you forum is a little different from the forums I'm use to . So I am told buy the seller it is a 38 dodge but he did not sound confident in saying that .

#49 ·
View attachment 70936 thanks for the replies thought these loaded the 1st time . And as for pipe dreams thanks not my 1st build just my 1st post here you forum is a little different from the forums I'm use to . So I am told buy the seller it is a 38 dodge but he did not sound confident in saying that .
To tell you the truth I saw the rust lines in the roof and the pillar and thought someone had chopped and streched it a little bit but I guess it was from something else,but regaurdless it looks great even if it wasnt chopped also I was thinking I wanted to chop mine but decided against it it looks great as is,its already pretty low and all I could do is screw it up ,so I didnt do it (maybe I'll chop the other one just for the heck of it just to see what it looks like,its just a hulk ,parts car anyway)....I always wanted a biz coupe, it didnt really matter what make because I also thought they all looked alike but they all looked cool. much better than a sedan but I got a ride home from a bar in a 40 ford and thought THATS the coolest car I ever been in.....,so is yours a biz coupe ? I'd be surprized if it wasn't It has the biz coupe look and its really cool ,the short 1/4 glass,longer deck lid,etc...but basicly they all do look similar, you have to really look close to see the differances between the makes,my mechanic friend always asks : hows that willies coming,I wish (thats my all time favorite ,especially a gasser ,what a car to have....I'm sure there are those that think that a willies gasser looks stupid too,I'm just not one of them any gasser looks cool IMO....A willies gasser just happens to be my # 1 choice, if I could have any car I wanted....since I'm poor I got the first biz coupe I found when I found, it was the only... untouched, (rotted out POS)that I could afford....but I really wanted one...
Its not done but I've insured it and drove it a little (less than 20 miles) now I'm gearing up to take it all back apart and finish it up,painting everything as I go...The hard part is getting started again, I love the fact that I can start it up and go,its come so far....
Anyways if you ever need inspiration just look at what I started with ,you just have to keep at it ,a little at a time....like my good friend Brian (martin Sr), says ...5 min a day is all it takes ,dont let it sit ,just do something every day on it.....heres some pics of my 48 biz coupe (my wife called it a chicken coupe for quite a while)....
having trouble posting pics ,sorry ..
.I will get them on for you and help you in any way I can with your build ....not that you'll need any,but I do have some contacts that'll be a big help for parts and such....some of this stuff is hard to find....

#11 ·
New Guy with a 37 or 38???

I did a 39 Plymouth (Canadian cousin to the US Dodge) and it turned out really nice. It was a one year only car, but the fenders were interchangable for 37,38 and 39. The coupe body also is the same. Mostly front and trim mods. There seemed to be lots of parts out there for these cars. Good luck and send pics.

#13 ·
Thanks to all that replied I have a line on a old 392 just need to plan it out . As I truly happened on this. Long story short guy put it outside the day I drove by (been inside his shop for ten or twelve ) I stopped looked at it went in and bought it two days later its in my garage ! Floors are great no patch needed but will need to cut them up any way to fit some sort of power plant and 727 auto trans none GM !! Doors are a little crispy on the bottom but no big deal . Previous owner removed the body to blast frame & body painted frame installed Crome leaf springs Crome axle and associated hardware prob remove all Crome & powder coat black . I am just trying to get a plan to gather at this point . I am sure it's a mopar 37-38-39 just wish there was a frame plate or some other marking that would seal the deal ill post more pics after the weekend !

#14 ·
installed Crome leaf springs Crome axle and associated hardware prob remove all Crome & powder coat black
Please read up on hydrogen embrittlement. This occurs in metals when they are electrolytically plated and manifests itself as free hydrogen atoms being introduced into the parent metal while the plating process is being done. The presence of these atoms in the grain structure can effect destruction of the parent metal at any time and without warning. Baking the parent metal immediately after plating will draw out these hydrogen atoms and make the parent metal serviceable. Problem is, when you come into posession of a plated part, you have no idea whether or not the part was baked. Not sure about removing plating, but I would think the hydrogen atoms will still be in the structure of the metal, even after the chrome is removed. Proceed with caution, your life and the lives of others hang in the balance.

#19 ·
who cares what you like when you pick everything apart down to a molecular level . LOL...post something useful ...

The main reason there are so many chopped tops is because they look great. chopping a top can be one of the best changes that can be made when well thought out and takes a lot of talent to pull off ,yours seems to be working as far as looking right but may be some trouble finishing for you later on...
I'd say its a biz coupe (The most sought after) to check just look and see if there's any room for a back seat,a biz coupe has none...
Do you have any of the front sheetmetal?show pics of what you have and the dash would be nice too then one of the rear end so we can tell if the deck gaps are rounded or squared off...All I can say for sure is its pre 46 ...
what you have here are the beginnings of a super nice street rod ...dont listen to these inspector types, they're full of themselves.and occasionally stray from their desk...Stick around and post some more pics I have Plymouth biz coupe also...and actually do metalwork,body & paint for a living so maybe I can help

#20 ·
Like any modification, is it being done to be "different" or is it being done to make the car look better? In this particular place, I am thinking the stock top is so beautiful and it looks chopped already! It's a very difficult shop taking a lot of time to do nice. Those two factors would lead me to leave it as is, and I love chopped tops. :D

Many different opinions on something like that. I feel that car was so damn good looking right out of the factory it doesn't need much.

Brian

#35 ·
The little curve to the straight axle appears much like the stock axle on mid 30's Mopar vehicles. Looks like the one my neighbor pulled out of his '35 Plymouth.
Still a great start for a project car!
We have something in common! I retired as an electrician 2 yrs. ago, after 35 years in the trade!

#36 ·
nice should have been a plumber :) not !!! I'm on like 28 years now I run a small shop with a few great guys . Did 6 years with automotive when I was a young gun and said not for a living . Cars have always been my true hobby but had to raise a family of kid first ! Can't wait to drive that coupe always loved them !!!! Looked at three Willys 41's. each 10 g + looking like the dodge I have now (Willys rule ) have loved them since the movie hot rod back on the late 70s ??? 69 cutlass vers 41 Willys .

#38 ·
Ok techinspector. I Was going to bow out, but since you feel the need to to add insult to injury....you're the one that called me a monkey for my suggestion that he chop the top. I think you need to go back and read your posts and think long and hard about your comments directed at me and others. You call others out for for offending you, but imho you started all the crap that has been flying. All I did was suggest that in my humble opinion a chop would look good on his coupe. He voiced that chops don't do it for him. I respect that. Afterall its his project, but you are the one to throw out insults toward me. Get a life will you. Respect is earned, not commanded.

#40 ·
You guys are unbelievable. I never called you a monkey. I said monkey see, monkey do. It means that whatever you see someone else do, you think you have to do yourself. You've seen chopped tops before and so you suggested to the OP that his car needed chopping. I was simply voicing my opinion about chops. You like 'em. Bodyman likes 'em. I hate 'em. Again, SO WHAT!!!!! This is like dealing with grade school kids. Now, don't say that I called you a grade school kid or anything else. I simply can't believe all the stink over making what I meant as an opinion. You're allowed to have an opinion. Bodyman is allowed to have an opinion. I am not allowed to have an opinion if it conflicts with your opinion??????

#45 ·
37hemidodge every one of these forums have some bickering once in a while, don't let this stop you from posting, there are a LOT of very good discussions and knowledge shared here.

I want to see that project underway, it's a damn cool one and I want to see it personally.

Brian

Reactions: 37hemidodge
#47 ·
New Guy with a 37 or 38???

If you all want to ruin a really good informative web site keep up the bull****! You sound like a bunch of little girls. Nobody gains anything from being chastised in public. From my point of view, this is a site dedicated to helping each other through a brotherhood of common interests, HOTRODDING!!! In my humble opinion, no question is a stupid question or a redundant question or a question not worth answering. You do nothing to encourage or promote this site by your behavior . If you don't like what I have just said, go ahead, tell me and I'll sign out for good and find a more respectfull forum .

Dennis Weir. Member

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.