Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   New Guy with a 37 or 38 ??? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/new-guy-37-38-a-228928.html)

37hemidodge 01-28-2013 08:30 PM

New Guy with a 37 or 38 ???
 
Hello all looking for some help finding out what I have bought it two days ago guy I got it from said he thought it was a 38 but wasn't to sure I looked on the passenger door pillar and there is no # the # on the cowl is 29341 with a 3d above it is this anything helpful ?:mwink:

BOBCRMAN@aol.com 01-29-2013 05:37 AM

A picture would help..

MARTINSR 01-29-2013 07:37 AM

A make would also help, Chevy, Ford, Studebaker?

Brian

techinspector1 01-29-2013 11:55 AM

A look at his screen name suggests that he has visions of sugar plum fairies and a '37 Dodge with a Hemi in it.

37hemidodge 01-29-2013 02:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 70936thanks for the replies thought these loaded the 1st time . And as for pipe dreams thanks not my 1st build just my 1st post here you forum is a little different from the forums I'm use to . So I am told buy the seller it is a 38 dodge but he did not sound confident in saying that .

37hemidodge 01-29-2013 02:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 70937. Just can't upload all the picks at one time I guess also not a computer geek !

37hemidodge 01-29-2013 02:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by techinspector1 (Post 1640138)
A look at his screen name suggests that he has visions of sugar plum fairies and a '37 Dodge with a Hemi in it.

Yea that's it fairies
Attachment 70938

MARTINSR 01-29-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by techinspector1 (Post 1640138)
A look at his screen name suggests that he has visions of sugar plum fairies and a '37 Dodge with a Hemi in it.

I have seen so often where that isn't the case so I asked to be sure. :drunk:

Brian

MARTINSR 01-29-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 37hemidodge (Post 1640187)
Yea that's it fairies
Attachment 70938

Cool car, what are your plans for it?

Brian

1Gary 01-30-2013 04:39 AM

Overall it looks like a good foundation to start with.How's the floors and all the rest??. You a metal fabricator?. A good site for solely that is:
All MetalShaping - Powered by vBulletin

Hope you hangout and fill in some of the blanks.

DeeW 01-30-2013 09:10 AM

New Guy with a 37 or 38???
 
I did a 39 Plymouth (Canadian cousin to the US Dodge) and it turned out really nice. It was a one year only car, but the fenders were interchangable for 37,38 and 39. The coupe body also is the same. Mostly front and trim mods. There seemed to be lots of parts out there for these cars. Good luck and send pics.

33Willys77 01-30-2013 02:04 PM

My guess... 37, 38, or 39 Plymouth or 37-38 Dodge. I think the bodies where the same and just had different front ends - the dashes might be different. Is there a dash in this car? If so, post a picture.

37hemidodge 01-30-2013 03:24 PM

Thanks to all that replied I have a line on a old 392 just need to plan it out . As I truly happened on this. Long story short guy put it outside the day I drove by (been inside his shop for ten or twelve ) I stopped looked at it went in and bought it two days later its in my garage ! Floors are great no patch needed but will need to cut them up any way to fit some sort of power plant and 727 auto trans none GM !! Doors are a little crispy on the bottom but no big deal . Previous owner removed the body to blast frame & body painted frame installed Crome leaf springs Crome axle and associated hardware prob remove all Crome & powder coat black . I am just trying to get a plan to gather at this point . I am sure it's a mopar 37-38-39 just wish there was a frame plate or some other marking that would seal the deal ill post more pics after the weekend !

techinspector1 01-30-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 37hemidodge (Post 1640568)
installed Crome leaf springs Crome axle and associated hardware prob remove all Crome & powder coat black

Please read up on hydrogen embrittlement. This occurs in metals when they are electrolytically plated and manifests itself as free hydrogen atoms being introduced into the parent metal while the plating process is being done. The presence of these atoms in the grain structure can effect destruction of the parent metal at any time and without warning. Baking the parent metal immediately after plating will draw out these hydrogen atoms and make the parent metal serviceable. Problem is, when you come into posession of a plated part, you have no idea whether or not the part was baked. Not sure about removing plating, but I would think the hydrogen atoms will still be in the structure of the metal, even after the chrome is removed. Proceed with caution, your life and the lives of others hang in the balance.

37hemidodge 01-30-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by techinspector1 (Post 1640618)
Please read up on hydrogen embrittlement. This occurs in metals when they are electrolytically plated and manifests itself as free hydrogen atoms being introduced into the parent metal while the plating process is being done. The presence of these atoms in the grain structure can effect destruction of the parent metal at any time and without warning. Baking the parent metal immediately after plating will draw out these hydrogen atoms and make the parent metal serviceable. Problem is, when you come into posession of a plated part, you have no idea whether or not the part was baked. Not sure about removing plating, but I would think the hydrogen atoms will still be in the structure of the metal, even after the chrome is removed. Proceed with caution, your life and the lives of others hang in the balance.

I do believe the Crome was purchased not just plated by some fly by night operation but who knows . I may just rip it out I would prefer the gasser strait front axle but just getting a game plan 1st . But thanks for the input


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.