New Guy, First Engine Build - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2011, 09:51 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

New Guy, First Engine Build

Hey everyone, I am a new member and this is my first post. I purchased a '67 Mustang with the original 289 bored to 302. It is an okay engine but, I want to build a 2nd engine that is a little hotter but still intended for street only, a daily driver that will be dependable.

I have found an original Ford 302 roller block for very cheap that could be the foundation of my build. I also want to mate it to a 5-speed tranny and a highway geared rear-end, I am looking for good mpg, lower highway rpms but still have respectable torque (if this is possible).

I would appreciate any input and gotcha's to look out for, from you guys. Specific information would be appreciated (brand names, models, etc.).

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2011, 07:42 AM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisInTexas
Hey everyone, I am a new member and this is my first post. I purchased a '67 Mustang with the original 289 bored to 302. It is an okay engine but, I want to build a 2nd engine that is a little hotter but still intended for street only, a daily driver that will be dependable.

I have found an original Ford 302 roller block for very cheap that could be the foundation of my build. I also want to mate it to a 5-speed tranny and a highway geared rear-end, I am looking for good mpg, lower highway rpms but still have respectable torque (if this is possible).

I would appreciate any input and gotcha's to look out for, from you guys. Specific information would be appreciated (brand names, models, etc.).
That's a really good set-up you are going with. Is this a bare block? You will need to take the block to your machine shop and have it checked out, Before you start gathering up parts IMHO Along with the swap you will need to buy or fab a new crossmember for the trans not a big deal though, and the drive shaft might have to be changed also. I would go with at least a E-303 cam with a set of GT 40s or some decent aluminum heads JMO and if it's a bare block go with some forged flat-tops JMO Performer rpm intake with at-least a 600 Holley carb maybe even a 3310 750 but the 600 should be ok IMHO
Then you will need to get a set of full length header's with like 2 1/2 inch exhaust no problem on the 67 and some good mufflers i like flow-masters but now there are some others out there as good or even better.
and a set of 3:50 gears a good street gear or maybe 3:91
others will come along with their input also and probably better suggestions.

Cole
Old 03-19-2011, 02:38 PM
Get out the ducktape...

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: Front brakes
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Eloc's right definitely get it checked before you build and eat the guy up with any and all questions about the block if he looks like he'll answer. As far as streetablility and better rpm/mpg on the highway I would look at an overdrive for that tranny, like something from gear vendors. Some of your mainstream companies like edelbrock for instance have complete top end kits already matched up for what your lookin for. You can call one of their techs and tell him whatcha got and he'll go through the list for ya and set up a kit that is almost bolt on. I would also call somebody like clevite, they do the same kit idea but with internals.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:31 PM

inspection first

I learned a valuable lesson on my first big build. I was young and dumb. I bought the motor for my project, disassembled and cleaned it. I bought a piston, ring and bearing kit. Saved some more money. Bought the cam and springs kit. Saved for the machine work. When I took it to the machine shop I was floored. The crank needed to be turned more than the bearing size I bought. One of the heads was damaged beyond repair. I had matched my piston selection to the head. Now I had to find another set of heads exactly like the first set. I had to return/exchange the bearings. It was a nightmare. Had I of just taken the engine to the machine shop first and found exactly what I had to work with, I could have still saved and purchased components as could afford them. As it turned out I spent more time and money than I could have ever budgeted for. My "killer" build was really a "killer" build! DO ALL OF THE MACHINE WORK AND INSPECTION FIRST!!!
Old 03-19-2011, 05:41 PM

Advice

My best advice is to build a good, strong base(short block). Buy the best parts and machine work that you can afford! This will be a good foundation for all your future components. Your head and cam selection will serve as accents for the solid core of your power plant! Future changes will be easier to implement because you started with a good foundation. Money spent early and wisely is really money saved!

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.