Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - new guy - help with paint screw ups!!
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 04:04 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

new guy - help with paint screw ups!!

hello. first off i am by no means a professional. i have painted 6 vehicles over the last 15 years for myself or family. all single color jobs. on my most recent project (1992 ford crewcab dually with a cummins swap) i wanted to get alittle creative. so i designed a 3 color paint scheme. im using Kustom Shop paint from tcpglobal.com. what i am doing is base coating entire truck black. then a solid silver stripe down the middle. on the top side of the truck i layed down a really wet coat of silver and wrinkled it with a plastic sheet. then candy apple red over that, followed by clearing the whole thing. i am having alot of trouble with subsequent coats lifting the previous coat and making a wrinled mess. i dont know if the dry time is my problem or what. when i first did it on the outer surfaces of the truck it went fantastic (thank God). and that was a long setup time to tape off all my graphics. scuffed the whole truck maroon scotchbrite before doing the silver parts. moving on to the doorjambs the black had been setup for a week. i scuffed it with a maroon scotchbrite before shooting the second black base in the doorjambs. dry time was probably too short on that maybe half hour. as soon as i hit it with the silver it lifted the 2nd coat of black. i had to fix the back of the cab. so i wetsanded 320 grit and shot my black base. 2 hours later a light coat of clear thinking maybe that would held. 24 hours later i scuffed the clear and masked off for a silver stripe. soon as i shot the silver on the scuffed clear a very big portion of it lifted. thats where it sits. thank you very much for helping me diagnose this. i know this doesnt qualify as a hotrod but from researching on here i know there are ALOT of very knowledgable painters that can help me out. i am completely self-taught in bodywork and paint so theres alot of potential for errors. thanks again.