New guy... Ideas for Cars? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2004, 03:50 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

New guy... Ideas for Cars?

Hey guys! This is really cool. A forum where everyone knows about hotrods!

Well, I am a 21 year old kid with absolutely no experience in hot rods. I only know the other generation of cars. The *gasp* new ones. I have a 1996 Nissan 240sx which I am currently putting together a custom Turbo kit for. Im sure you guys dont like that sort of thing, but dont hate me for it.

Anyways, I have recently become obsessed with learning about hotrodding and have decided to try and put together some money to buy a car to start working on. My heart is set on a Mercury coupe from the 49-51 years. However, I realize that those are so hard to come by these days that they are really expensive. So, I will probably not get one of those. My question to you is what other kinds of cars have that same sort of look that the Mercs from those years have? Ive seen some really nice Chevy's, but maybe you guys could give me some insight?

Looking forward to learning a lot here. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2004, 04:27 PM
'58 Longbox Fleetside

Last photo:

Hey there,

Good to see another fresh hot rodder. I'm same age as you, and I'm working with my father on my first project, a '58 chev truck.

I've found though that the more I read, the great appreciation I have for many different body styles and engines. I'm already thinking in the back of my head, what other project cars I'd like to work on.

As for the merc, those a pretty rare, especially in my area. ND. but I kind of think that a chrysler or caddy of the same years you mentioned would look pretty slick with some work. They'd be classy as a mostly stock resto, and would be sweet with a chopped top and rodded up.

my two cents anyway...
Old 02-04-2004, 07:24 PM

Hey, I'm 20 also. Good to see younger kids getting away from those imports.. They have potential but i can't stand the sound. That and the sticker upgrades.. I mean cmon haha. But I guess its something to do.
Anyway trying my hand at hotrodding also, I have an idea of other things i want but my first really old car will be a 49 chevy. Very similar to the merc. I don't like the style as much but it's kind of grown on me. I've had it for a few months now but I got my hands on a 69 camaro and decided to do first. I've worked on a few muscle cars before so its a little easier to get into. Anyway, Others cars I like and would like to have one day is 55 to 57 chevy belair or similar body style or maybe some kind of truck. Also like some of the 30's style cars. Money is always a big factor too specially when you do the college thing
Anyway, good luck in your search and let us know whatcha find
Old 02-04-2004, 08:16 PM

Yeah, sticker upgrades are the worst. Especially all of the fools that think adding an intake to their car adds 20hp. Im not that kind of import owner at all. My car is all go, no show. Plus, the custom turbo setup is going to make it a pretty mean sleeper.

It seems like there are a few younger guys around here. Its cool to see that. It means that the tradition will live on... it is just our duty to make sure the cars do the same.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:00 AM
Custer had it Comin'!!!

Last photo:

Welcome yung wun...

I kinda like the old 50's years Ford Vics. They are not real common, so you might be able to find something more reasonable than a '50 Merc. They dress up real nice too...below a 1953...

Old 02-06-2004, 09:28 AM
Tazz

Last photo:

Anything is available for some $$$$. The more that needs done the les $$$$ you will need to pay out. Save up some $$$$ and start shopping around till you fine something to make a bid on. You would be supprised how some people will drop their price for some cash $$$$. Don't be crazy and make a fool of your self, a $15,000 car won't sell for $1500 but might sell for $13,000. Like I said save up some cash and go shopping.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 02-06-2004, 02:10 PM

Thanks Gearhead and Tazz...

I actually found a pretty nice Vic on dealsonwheels.com for around 3,900 that runs and looks pretty good. It has a rebuilt motor and is in primer.

I also found a sweeet chopped Merc in primer on there. It was 12,000 though. It is amazing how much more expensive those cars are than most. I cant come close to affording 12,000 but the ford is more affordable. I suppose will just continue to dream about owning a Merc.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:00 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

offtheline,

No need to apologize for the 240SX. People on this forum have hot rodded virtually every vehicle ever made at one time or another. The important thing is you are in there getting your knuckles busted and your hands full of grease. It's great to see the younger generation getting involved in the sport.

The only advice I would offer to someone getting started is to not get in over your head with your initial investment only to discover you can't complete the car due to lack of funds. Most of us started building hot rods out of whatever we had around or whatever we could get our hands on very very cheap. For most guys that first, second or third car was probably never their "dream" car. But it was something they could afford and something they could learn on. The last thing you want is to have a half finished rod gathering dust in the garage because you've got no more funds to continue the work.

And welcome to the forum. I'm new here as well and have found it to be a very helpful group.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cboy
offtheline,

No need to apologize for the 240SX. People on this forum have hot rodded virtually every vehicle ever made at one time or another. The important thing is you are in there getting your knuckles busted and your hands full of grease. It's great to see the younger generation getting involved in the sport.
Thanks! I really agree that its all about gettin your hands dirty and learning.

Quote:

The only advice I would offer to someone getting started is to not get in over your head with your initial investment only to discover you can't complete the car due to lack of funds. Most of us started building hot rods out of whatever we had around or whatever we could get our hands on very very cheap. For most guys that first, second or third car was probably never their "dream" car. But it was something they could afford and something they could learn on. The last thing you want is to have a half finished rod gathering dust in the garage because you've got no more funds to continue the work.
Thats good advice. Hardly nobody gets their dream car for the first one... its something you have to work up to I guess. It makes it all the sweeter in the end when you finally have a beautiful finished dream car.
Old 02-08-2004, 09:55 AM

Last journal entry: 52 truck
Last photo:

Theres a fella in my area that has a 38 Chevy Coupe he is selling. Has a spare body for parts to. Asking like 3800 bucks. HG
Old 02-12-2004, 10:51 PM

Last photo:

Hey guys. I'm around the same age too. I'm 21. That's awesome to see that other younger guys are into this stuff too. I've been into hot rods and harleys my whole life and none of my friends are really into it. They are mostly into Honda Civics and crotch rockets. It's hard to sit here at college and drool over all these hot rods and realize that you have no money. But we all have to start somewhere I guess. I think that's the best way to start in my opinion because when you have no money to buy stuff with, you make it yourself and you learn a hell of a lot. I have a 94 mustang GT and I fab'd up some some dual side exhaust. My next plan is to make a welder using a gas motor and a car alternator. Anyways, I'm just incredibly glad that there is a site like this on hot rods.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:18 PM
RatRod B4 RatRods were Cool

Last photo:

hi man. I just joined not too long ago myself.
I've been on a few Yahoo groups, and most of them are full of
spammers, flamers and trolls. this site is far better.

I would say finish the turbo setup on your Nissan and have fun with it. when and if you get tired of it, sell it and then go and get
yourself a project car.

The bigest problem I have is I will have 2 project cars/trucks plus
dirt bikes, go karts and lawnmower repair all at the same time, so
nothing I have is ever finished.
the moral: spend your money/time on one thing.

Shane.
Old 02-14-2004, 03:57 PM

Heh, yeah I definitely understand what you are saying. Its better to have one finished project and one really unfinished project than two really unfinished projects.

Problem is, I love cars too much. Plain and simple. Its nice to drool over turbocharged sleepers.... but I also love to drool over mean chopped cruisers. Eh, oh well.

Im too poor for this hobby!

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.