Hot Rod Forum banner

new harness

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  docvette 
#1 ·
hi guys i starting my new painless harness. i have a 1967 beaumont (its like a chevelle)and i have 1 wire for the right signal and 1 for the left and 1 wire for the park lights on my new harness . my old harness has 1 wire from the fuse box to the left then i have 2 wirescoming out 1 go back to the old fuse box the other is going to the right turn signal so is this my ground or my park light .the right signal wire goes back to the fuse box. thanks for any help.

#2 ·
Doc here, :pimp:

What is exactly your question? :confused:

The turnsignal system gets power from the Flash unit and the brake-lamp switch ONLY..

There are NO grounds coming from the TS switch OR the FUSE buss, the lamps Ground at the buckets.

The only harness going to the lamps is switched (through the column stock) Power to the left and right turn signals and their respective indicators, as well as the multiplexing for the brake lamps.

Doc :pimp:

#3 ·
i have one wire to the left front signal then 2 coming out 1 goes back to the fuse box the other goes to the right signal from there i have the other wire going back to the fuse box bthe signal light is also my park light my question is how do i hook up the new wires i have 1for the left light 1 for the right light and 1 wire for the park lights .

#4 ·

First off, NONE of the lamps should be wired directly to the fuses..that is wrong..cut that out and get rid of it.

Next Power comes from the Flash unit to the steering column, up that through the multiplexed switch, and back down the steering column to the plug at the bottom.

The Brake lamp switch will have one wire to a fuse, and the other goes to the plug at the bottom of the steering column plug.

BOTH systems work together. when the left or right signal is ON, the left or right brake lamp is disabled, this is done through the TS multiplexing of the switch. It provides isolation between the two systems so you don't have 4 ways every time you turn the signals on or step on the brakes.

At the column plug you will have a series of wires (new harness should be marked, and mate to it.) the wires marked left rear, right rear Signals goes back to the rear lamps on THE BRIGHTEST filaments. (the dimmer ones are for tail lights.)

The front wires marked Left front and Right Front go to the front signal lamps. Along with these, will be a parallel set of wires marked dash indicators..these go to the dash lamps left and right.

The park lamps (unless Part of the signal system in the front, most aren't) will go to the headlamp switch on the terminal reserved for "Park Lamps".

#5 ·
The attached diagram is a typical GM turn signal schematic. The GM color codes are likely the same as Painless.
The Painless instruction book 90501 for your harness does not appear to have this diagram.
All connections to the turn-signal switch are at the connector at the base of the steering column.
Each wire in the Painless harness is marked with it's purpose. Such as right rear turn-signal, left front turn-signal etc.
Use the chart in the manual to determine which point in the steering column connector each wire is inserted.

vicrod

Attachments

#6 ·
In addition to what Doc and Vic said, there is a diagram (labeled 'Table 7-1' in section 7.4.5) in the 90501 manual that indicates which wire in the Painless Harness goes to each position on the column harness plug. Your painless kit should have the other side of that plug that you can use to terminate that portion of the harness which will plug into the column connector. If your manual doesn't have the diagram, you can check the Painless site for the most recent version and download it free, or I can scan it and post it here for you. I have used the Painless products before and if you stick with their scheme, it is very straightforward. The Painless harness I used had the GM wire color scheme. Good luck to you.

#7 ·

The STOCK wire colors (at the harness plug on the bottom of the column) are as follows:

TURN-SIGNALS:
  • BLACK/LIGHT BLUE = Left front Directional lamp AND dash indicator.

• BLACK = Horn Relay.

• BLACK/WHITE = Stop Lamp Switch.

• BLUE = Right Front Directional lamp AND Dash indicator.

• BROWN = Hazard Flasher.

• PURPLE = Turnsignal flasher.

• BLACK/YELLOW = Left rear directional lamp.

• GREEN = Right Rear Directional lamp.

HEADLAMP SWITCH:
  • PURPLE = Park lamps.

• BLACK/LIGHT BLUE = Hi/low beam switch.

• BROWN = Tail lights.

• BLACK/ORANGE = Back up lamp switch.

• GREEN = Instrument Lamp Fuse.

• RED = To Battery.

• BLACK/WHITE = To the dome lamp switches and lamp.

Just match color Vs Function from the switches to your painless harness and it should work fine!

#8 ·
Would these colors apply to the 67 (assuming he has the original column)
I'm not sure when GM went to that flat pigtail on TS switch.
But I think up to at least 64--it was a 6-pin connector on a lower column mounted bowden cable activated switch.

Have not yet looked at my 66 to check, so I am not sure.

I guess I better acquire the all the books on this as I now have 2 of these
'66 Chevelle type trucks.

Bryan

#10 ·

That is direct copy out of the manual for a 67 Chevelle..So it's what GM Say's it was..

It Does also show Blank (unused Pins) for that year on that connector..

The 1966 Shows 9 wires on an 11 pin connector (the same as above) so I guess it was some time after the change..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.