Hot Rod Forum banner

New..have question about panel rust repair

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  baddbob 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am new to body repair, but have done a bit of mechanical automotive work before. I have a 62 Austin Healey that was my dads. The rockers, pillars, fenders, and floorboards need to be replaced. I have the replacement panels, but don't really know/understand the process of what to do. I have to do things little by little just do to my time. How do I go about cutting out all of the rust and preserving that piece until I can weld in the patch? One thing I have gotten from these boards is to spray an epoxy primer to keep metal from rusting up until you put on your primer/basecoat. Can you weld on top of this epoxy primer? I would assume not since you want metal to metal. Any general help or guidance in how the process works would be a great help now as I try to plan this out.

- Drew

#2 ·
As a general rule, when welding 2 panels together, you need to clean the metal at the mating areas, and apply "weld thru primer" where they meet. That should protect the metal in those areas, as long as it isn't out in the weather. That being said, I would figure that if you put on epoxy primer, you would need to remove it in the weld areas and put on the weld thru primer, before welding. After the panels are welded together, you should get some spray in corrosion protection to apply inside the closed in areas that you cannot paint.

JMO

Aaron

#3 ·
Could I apply the weld-through primer to edges of body panels I have cut/ground to accept a patch panel(instead of using the epoxy primer)? I know I won't always have the ability to weld as soon as I get a panel ready to accept a panel. I need to preserve the ground/cut panel until I'm ready to weld. I'd like to not have to re-strip or grind the panel when it does come time to weld. If this is possible with a weld-through primer, can someone recommend a decent brand that won't cost me an arm and a leg?

Thanks

#4 ·
3M's newer weld through coating II in the purple labeled aresol can is about the best I've used. Shake it up really good, two light coats, let it dry for about 20 minutes and weld. Wash off or sand off any remaining on the exterior, it's designed for areas between two lapped prices steel and shouldn't be used under any exterior paint. About $20 a can. Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.