new heads - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2002, 04:54 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post new heads

I have a 74 350 2barrel nova. I am putting a new carb, intake manifold, cam, headers, and maybe 2.5 inch duals to replace the 2 inch duals. I read in a sbc book that the heads used in my car-I checked the numbers- are not so good. They are designed for economy and have a lump that restricts exhaust flow and have a tendancy to crack. I might be interested in swapping some heads off of an earlier nova 350 '69 maybe? is this a good idea? are there better options? I dont want to spend much money on this, how much would junkyard heads cost? oh I want the engine to run well on midgrade.
thanks
ps the casting # of the heads is 333882

[ December 12, 2002: Message edited by: CombatWombat ]

[ December 12, 2002: Message edited by: CombatWombat ]</p>

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2002, 06:30 PM

882 are 74 to 79 smog heads you will have very little luck in finding a good set of head at a junk yard they don't call it junk for nothing. i would suggest you save your money and at least buy some dart 2 heads from summit you can get the pair complet with vavle for under 500 new and you can port them later if you want even more power.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:21 PM

those heads have a thin casting and are very crack prone. if u want factory cast iron heads anything up to 1971 is your best bet unless u have money to burn. also check those casting #'s if u want a specific type chamber as well.
Old 12-18-2002, 11:32 AM

you could look on ebay and find a good set of heads for cheap or just need valves ect. :p
Old 12-18-2002, 04:07 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

Any head with double humps is good.Good large chamber castings are 993,441,487,487x.These are also better castings than 882s crack wise too. I just did a set of 993s for my car cost me $300 for 3 angle job,guides,springs,seals,resurface and magnaflux.
When looking down the intake ports you can visually see were the others have a larger port,the 882s are crapp heads.I compared side by side 461double humps 993s 882s and 305 4bbl heads.The 882s intake ports were visually no bigger than the 305 heads.
Look on Ebay for heads.I did the junkyard humting game a few months ago.I didn't find a single decent set anywere.Also try your local swap sheet.

Personaly I wouldn't blow my wad on after market heads if its a street car.Double humps(if you can find a set)should handle 400hp and decent large chambers are all you'll need for a mild street car.
If you can tolerate the funky valve covers,don't mind buying the special intake and rockers the Vortec heads flow really good.I think they also require a spring ugrade when changing cams and need the guides cut down for over approx .480 lift.
Good Luck and Happy hunting
Old 12-18-2002, 04:14 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

Another cheap option would be to put 305 heads on.They have crappy ports and small valves but do increase compression to approx 9.5-9.8:1 depending on gasket thickness.They'll make a nice low-lower mid torque machine.I had 305 1.84 valvers on a stock 350 w/ a mild 214/224@00 cam and it was an impresive cheap motor.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.