Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - New heads and strange coolant leak
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2004, 09:29 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

New heads and strange coolant leak

Introduction out of the way in that section now on to the issue at hand!

Subject: 85 Chevy 1/2 ton, GM Goodwrench 350 4 bolt, aproximately 8000 miles. Performer Intake, Edelbrock carb, Headman headers, Erson cam, roller rockers, new Dart Iron Eagle heads.

Son and I just compelted a head swap on the engine.
We replaced the stock heads with Dart Iron Eagle's and all seemed to go well. Old heads off, cleaned deck surfaces thouroughly, installed Fel-Pro head gastkets dry as per directions, used new ARP head bolts with sealer on threads, torqued in sequence and double checked twice to make sure every bolt was indeed torqued correct. Put everything back together and fired it up....sounded great, set timing, idle mixture watched water level in radiator, when thermostat opened added water as needed. Checked heads for leaks in visible and obvious places still all seemed good.
After about 10 minutes of run time noticed what looked like coolant leak dripping low off the bottom of the engine on passenger side. Crawled under truck and sure enough clean water with a little left over antifreeze dripping from the pan gasket flange in between where the starter is bolted on and the pan. It looks as though it is comming from the pan itself but this makes no sense to me becuase it is clear, no oil contamination. Dropped the oil to see if there was water in the oil and there were no bubbles or milky signs to the oil. I have checked the back of the heads and there doesn't seem to be any leakage on the back of the block area.
Any help would be appreciated I am stumped!