Hot Rod Forum banner

New Heap!

754 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  akm 
#1 ·
Yeah, I needed another car like I need a hole in my head, but I just couldn't
walk away from this one.

It's a 54 Ford Mainline sedan OHV Y block V8 (239?)
It is 100% complete, all the trim, interior, hubcaps and even the jack! It was stored in a garage since around 68?, but the garage leaked and held moisture,
rusting the bottom D.S. of the car very badly, the center door pillar has rusted away from the floor, and there are spots all over the car that are rusted through.
So far the engine is still seized up, but I think it will break free.

All the glass is good, the wiring seems to be fine, the frame and drive train
looks to be in tact. If I got it running and the brakes fixed it would be drivable
if it wasn't for the side of the car about to fall off. :pain:

I don't know how common this car is, to find parts for, or if I can patch it
up enough to make a rat rod out of it, or just part it out.
I don't know anything about the engine, only that it's a Y block.

I knew it was too much work when I saw the rust, but I just couldn't resist. :drool:
I don't have much in it, I traded a John Deere 111 rider and an old weed-eater for it.
I'll post some pics when I can barrow a camera.

See less See more
#2 ·
FASTCHEVY remember that life is like a jar of peppers... It may not be that bad. I believe from your post that his is a four door. With a bunch of searching I would think that you will be able to find a gutted out donor car for a few dollars. It will probably have the rusted out pieces that you need or you could take all of the good stuff from your 100% complete car and transfer them to the donor car if you find the body is too much work. Good luck with your new project.

#3 ·
Thanks. It is a 4 door.

I've got the title to it, so if I get a parts car and put the new cab on the old frame, can I put the vin plate off the old cab on the new cab?
Or am I stuck with cutting out the panels it needs?

I remember the guys at CarCraft mag found an old Firebird conv that was rotted to nothing, and they made a floor out of crushed beer cans and fiberglass/resin. It was far from perfect, but it's better than driving like
Fred Flintstone, or crushing the car. :pain:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.