New here, big fan of the forum, need a little help from the experts and vets please!! - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2013, 10:05 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

In a K5 with 33" tires and 3.08 gears and a overdrive transmission. The absolute best mod you could do would be to regear. With that cam and heads and a 700R4 you would be so far below the good part of the torque curve of that engine it would cost you in many ways. 4.11's or even 4.56's would be a way better combo to start with. With the gearing you say you have now and those tires. You wouldn't even need to hit a hill. All you would have to do is whisper the word hill and you would have to down shift 2 gears. I know in the OP you said you were going to address this issue. But if you want this truck to run halfway decent you should think about regearing before you put that engine in it. I'm not trying to be smart here it's just that I have seen this done so many times. The next step for alot of guys that do this is to come back to this or other forums and complain how they cannot get their truck to run worth crap and how it's not responding to tuning. I really mean no harm by this I am really just trying to help. And it maybe that you have already thought of this and have a plan to address it. If that's the case then disregard this post. Thanks Bill

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironpony For This Useful Post:
NCmike (03-11-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 12:55 AM

Last photo:

Yes, that cam is smaller then I'd have preferred, but you have improved those numbers a tad with the Erson 1.6 rockers. Cams are important, but nowhere near the importance of your heads. Honestly, if you simply install Summits Sealed Power flat top pistons with 6cc valve reliefs, you'll boost that CR up to about 9.8. On my desktop dyno, with a few fabricated flow numbers from your heads, you'll be around 365 ft lbs of torque and 315 hp at 3800 RPMs. Theres no shame in those numbers at all. If you go that route it will cost you about $250.00 more, but also gives you all new gaskets and bearings. Engine shop will hang your pistons and rods for you for $100.00. Small price to pay to get to your goal. Going into your truck the torque numbers are ideal and gives you alot of room to grow.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebit68 View Post
Yes, that cam is smaller then I'd have preferred, but you have improved those numbers a tad with the Erson 1.6 rockers. Cams are important, but nowhere near the importance of your heads. Honestly, if you simply install Summits Sealed Power flat top pistons with 6cc valve reliefs, you'll boost that CR up to about 9.8. On my desktop dyno, with a few fabricated flow numbers from your heads, you'll be around 365 ft lbs of torque and 315 hp at 3800 RPMs. Theres no shame in those numbers at all. If you go that route it will cost you about $250.00 more, but also gives you all new gaskets and bearings. Engine shop will hang your pistons and rods for you for $100.00. Small price to pay to get to your goal. Going into your truck the torque numbers are ideal and gives you alot of room to grow.

Ok so as of now instead of doing the pistons which the machine shop quoted me way more than 300 including getting the Pistons, new rings, cam bearings, polishing the crank etc etc it was over 1k. They are one of the most reputable and honest shops around so I trust them but that was getting to expensive for what I can do right now.

So I am having the heads milled from 74cc to 69cc, also running thinner gaskets we did the math and my compression came out right at 9.5:1 which is ideal for what I was looking for and I also ordered a whole different cam.

Old cam specs...212/218 @.050 256/268 duration .447/.454 lift

New cam is a 4x4 extreme cam...218/226 @ .050 262/270 duration .462/.48 lift

So What do you think now?

Thanks!

Oh and 4:11 gears are next in the truck!
Old 03-12-2013, 04:31 PM

before you buy 4.11 gears,use a gear speed calculator.
Gear Ratio Speed Calculator
double check end results desired
The Following User Says Thank You to vinniekq2 For This Useful Post:
NCmike (03-12-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 10:48 AM

Ok will do! Thanks so much for your help Snakebit

btw I also got an Air gap intake now as well instead of a performer. So more compression, 69cc heads as opposed to 74 and a bigger cam. I should be close to 350HP and 380ft lb torque or more by now I believe, what do you think??
Old 03-13-2013, 11:18 AM

Check out this link and look at the second Test and the numbers it put out on the Dyno. My heads are better than the 882's ported and I have 1.6 rockers as well. I'm thinking I'm going to be close to these numbers.

350 Engine - Packaged Performance - Super Chevy Magazine

Tags
350 sbc build

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.