New here. Question about my 99 Jimmy - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2014, 06:17 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

New here. Question about my 99 Jimmy

hey guys i'm new here. been reading over your alls forum for a while now and it seems you all really know your stuff compared to other boards I read.

Got a question about a 1999 Gmc Jimmy 4x4 4.3 with a 4l60E I bought about 6 months ago. got it for $600 here in ky from a lot. it was a trade in and the dealership just wanted it off their lot cause it has a salvage title.

While I was checking it out I noticed it had a few issues. The intake gasket was blowed and the spider injector needed some work. It was jumping rpms pretty bad, so I figured it was from the intake issues and the spider. Bought it, brought it home, got the intake parts and the part for the spider and everything went together just fine. replaced the plugs, wires, and thermo. flushed the coolant, replaced vacuum lines and changed the oil and the motor is purring like a kitten. no leaks, no vacuum leaks. nothing.

After getting the motor in good shape, the rpm jump is still there. sluggish take off, 1st and 2nd hit hard and 4th seems not to exist. reverse lags. so, checked tranny fluid, kinda darkish red but at level. dropped the tranny pan and it was good. nothing on the magnet. changed the tranny fluid with new filter and problem is still there. Than I started to notice this clicking in the kick panel on the passenger side. it was the tccm. unhooked it and the tranny is working 90% perfect. reverse still lags alittle and take off is kinda sluggish but the rpms isnt jumping anymore. its shifting smoothly into all 4 gears. 4x4 isnt working but im ok with that.

I guess the tccm is bad giving the wrong info to the trans? and now im getting the p1870 code. detecting slippage. 5 months into driving it without the tccm, its done great. now im hearing this whirling sound in tune with the rpms. doesnt do it in netural or park. only in gear and it sounds like its coming from the torque converter.

mileage? i really dont know. I don't believe its the orginal motor or trans. 3000 miles into driving it and the oil is still at level and clean and the coolant hasnt leaked a drop. doesnt burn a drop and tranny fluid is still at level and red. speedo says 175k but it runs like its just alittle over 100k.

so any input on this p1870 and tccm would be great. been looking at the transgo kit and few other things but figured id get some more opinions.

Thanks guys!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.