new to here, and strange question. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2006, 12:02 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

new to here, and strange question.

Hello, all. I'm new to here, I don't have a hot rod, but I have a '99 Crown Vic police interceptor. Anyway, I had a somewhat strange question:

I was thinking a cool budget hot rod would be an S10 blazer frame with a t-bucket style body, SBC, and T-10. My question is, if I got the blazer with a title, what are the limits of modifications? Does the title go with the body, which has the tag? If so, how do you title a homebuilt car, especially if I make my own body. Any ideas?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2006, 01:41 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

It depends heavily on the state, but basically your vehicle's VIN is whatever VIN came on the part that the plate attaches to.

Its kind of a weird setup. Technically, most current American cars have the VIN on a plate that attaches to the dashboard sheetmetal. So, let's say you have a totalled Monte Carlo and you replace all the body panels with Olds Cutlass panels. The car is still a Monte Carlo for registration purposes. But, lets say you need to replace the dashboard sheetmetal. If you put a dashboard in from a Cutlass, you should (logically) retain the VIN from the Monte Carlo, but technically speaking you're not allowed to do that. Removing a VIN plate is illegal unless you're authorized to do it.

The truth usually falls somewhere in between. Its kind of a common sense setup. If you actually did replace the dashboard sheetmetal you would retain your original VIN and no one would ask questions. Its a semantics game and you retain the common sense VIN.

in your case, If you own both vehicles and are combining the two, its a matter of semantics. Are you modifying a T bucket to accept an S10 frame, or are you modifying an S10 to carry a T bucket body? In that case, I would select the VIN from the T. When you take the car to the DMV/DOT for registration, they aren't going to look at the frame and recognize it, but they will recognize the body style. If they see a Model T with a Chevy VIN, they'll start asking questions.

Each state has pretty straightforward laws about this so make sure you know what your state requires. Then hit up some car shows in your state and ask fellow customizers what they've done. There is paper law, then there is actual practiced law. Knowing which ones are enforced is your key to success.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:01 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

This "idea" has been discussed here before...
frames?
S10 frames make for a VERY ugly chassis under one of the early Ford bodies... Too wide, too long and too many contours...
You would be better off to put a V8 in the S10 and hotrod that...
Mark
Old 11-16-2006, 07:19 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

The s-10 frame is too wide for a T-bucket. A T- bucket frame is not that expensive to buy and they are easy to make. As far as the titleing question....you should check with your state DMV as each state is different.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:17 PM

Last photo:

Well, I was more asking if I fabricated a body myself that had no tags. I'm not all that worried about how it looks, per se, because I just want it to be cheap.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:20 AM

If you only want something that's cheap, just work with the body that's on the S-10 Blazer.

You could cut off the top and make it a convertible (probably with a roll bar to replace the body stiffness of the top). Then trim back the front fenders, or remove them and fabricate some other type of fender that will support the hood. If you made the right body alterations, you could end up with a big CJ-like vehicle. It might not be pretty, but it would be unique.

You don't even need to have a hood if you waterproof the ignition and other electrical accessories under the hood.

These mods to an existing body might make the truck look like a bad jigsaw puzzle gone wrong, but it doesn't sound like you care about looks.

Bruce
Old 11-18-2006, 04:05 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

For the type of car? you want to build take a look at wishnevsky's Journal:

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ge=1&reverse=1
Old 12-11-2006, 01:14 PM

Last journal entry: Painting
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis73
It depends heavily on the state, but basically your vehicle's VIN is whatever VIN came on the part that the plate attaches to.

Its kind of a weird setup. Technically, most current American cars have the VIN on a plate that attaches to the dashboard sheet metal. So, let's say you have a totaled Monte Carlo and you replace all the body panels with Olds Cutlass panels. The car is still a Monte Carlo for registration purposes. But, lets say you need to replace the dashboard sheet metal. If you put a dashboard in from a Cutlass, you should (logically) retain the VIN from the Monte Carlo, but technically speaking you're not allowed to do that. Removing a VIN plate is illegal unless you're authorized to do it.

The truth usually falls somewhere in between. Its kind of a common sense setup. If you actually did replace the dashboard sheet metal you would retain your original VIN and no one would ask questions. Its a semantics game and you retain the common sense VIN.

in your case, If you own both vehicles and are combining the two, its a matter of semantics. Are you modifying a T bucket to accept an S10 frame, or are you modifying an S10 to carry a T bucket body? In that case, I would select the VIN from the T. When you take the car to the DMV/DOT for registration, they aren't going to look at the frame and recognize it, but they will recognize the body style. If they see a Model T with a Chevy VIN, they'll start asking questions.

Each state has pretty straightforward laws about this so make sure you know what your state requires. Then hit up some car shows in your state and ask fellow customizers what they've done. There is paper law, then there is actual practiced law. Knowing which ones are enforced is your key to success.
Actually, most states are moving towards the engine and chassis years on these hybrid builds. Since there really is no for sure way to trace these old bodies and modified drivers, they will take the engine codes and license the hybrid driver to the chassis and engine. Mainly due to the EPA regulations.
If you have the actual paper work for your old tin, hats off to you, because then they have to go by the title to the tin, and you have all kinds of variable freedoms with this situation.

Now back to the Monte Carlo and Cutlass deal, since your original title was to the Monte, and you had to replace the dash, then you should actually pull the vin from your damaged Monte Carlo dash board and re-install it to the new donor dash. Theoretically, you are not doing a major chassis, engine, etc....swap on the original car. You are repairing the car. It is legal to do this swap, to keep the original car same same.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:38 PM

Last journal entry: Kinda showing off
Last photo:

Unless your planning to manufacture the swap kit for the V8 to S-10, you can build a T frame cheaper bout $100.00 for material. Time you dropped the spindles and the rear end its even more.I liked the earlier suggestion to use what you have and make something of that. And I know you said you don't care what it looks like but at least make it attractive to you.

My 2 cents
Randall
Old 12-11-2006, 04:57 PM

Last photo:

Cool, I had no idea a T-frame would be that cheap to make. What kind of welder would work best?
Old 12-11-2006, 06:53 PM

Last journal entry: Kinda showing off
Last photo:

I use 1 1/2 x 3 tubing. You can weld with either tig or mig or even with an arc welder, but you may need to do so serious grinding (I know I would) if you go the arc welding route. One 20 foot stick is enough to make the frame. If you TIG be sure to chamfer the joints if you use the 3/16 wall tubing. Alot of people use .093 to .125 wall which will work as well. My son and I are building two of these now, mine is getting pretty expensive while my son hopes to have his on the road for around 4 grand, so it is never cheap no matter what you can do your self.

Let us know how it goes for you

Randall
Old 12-11-2006, 08:09 PM
User

Last photo:

Or you could just use a older VW-Bug. Straight Axle up front, small, available parts, not too complex, and its got a small rear mounted engine. You could even re-use the Bug's body if you done the right cutting on it. And, their not really that hard to find. Or you could always find some aborted Dune buggy Project.

Budget built (Rat) Rod from scratch

Read this thread also.

Straight-Axles are not that hard to find actually, I think i have access to about 3 right now. Look into 50's and early 60's pick-ups, as their the most avaible.

I guess it just depends on what your looking to build though
Old 12-13-2006, 09:05 AM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fresh
Well, I was more asking if I fabricated a body myself that had no tags. I'm not all that worried about how it looks, per se, because I just want it to be cheap.
You can have cheap and cool with a little forethought and planning. The S-10 makes a good base for certain kinds of rods, but generally not fenderless ones. Use the S-10 frame and find say a 48-54 Chevy pickup body. They are still plentiful and cheap in many areas. If you are going to make an investment of your time why built an ugly piece of crap nobody will want when you tire of it?
Old 12-13-2006, 04:44 PM
User

Last photo:

Or any kind of cast off truck cab, like 60's Internationals have an interesting look to them. Or you could always just buy a late 40s-Late 50's car body and use your S-10 as a decent chassis for it.

Seems to work pretty well in most cases.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:29 PM
30 Ford 5 Window

Last photo:

Pretty sure in Massachusetts here they make you go by what the vehicle most resembles for registration and title purposes. If your body ends up being home-made or a "kit" that you buy. You will then need to go for a NEW manufacture title.

Kinda stinks having a 23' T-Bucket with a title saying it's a 2007

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.