Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - New here from Texas
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 03:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have 4 other project cars out back so a rotisserie is part of the investment, both in ease and safety.

I have some serios rust problem at the rocker extension and just inside the rear doors at the bottom. Cannot find these pieces so I may have to hammer it out of sheet metal. ALso some serious rust issue in the lip inside trunk. Don't really know how I am going to deal with that part yet. Don't want to just bondo like I have seen others done.

54 has 235 six cylinder with std trans. I am considering looking for a period powerglide and installing it, but not sure. Also thought about adding power brakes but all the ones I found are too big to fit up, and considered a Heidt's front suspension but have not figured out how to do the steering box as the Heidts includes rack and pinion steering. I am not solid on these items as I am also considering rebuilding it to original. But updated steering and brakes would make it a better driver.

I thought I would sontinue strippping and get paint and body work done and decide on the other as I go. I know that is opposite from others advice I have seen here, but the frame and suspension look good, engine was supposedly rebuilt several years ago and barely driven (pulled valve cover and it looks clean). So I am confident that it is mechanically sound.

This is only my second paint and body project. I spent the winter and spring rebuilding a Dodge Ram from transmission, engine, and suspension and the summer on paint and body.

I am hoping to learn everything I can here, and possibly get some great ideas for future projects as well.