Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - New HF gas engine
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011, 09:02 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

New HF gas engine

I see Harbor Freight has replaced it's line of small gas engines with the new "Predator" brand which replaces the "Greyhound" line, it remains to be seen if they are an increase in quality or even cheaper built than the old models. I have a 6.5 HP (It is as powerful as I have seen with that rating) "Greyhound" on my log splitter and it's kind of mixed as to whether it could be called good or bad. On the plus side it is powerful, it will run with any 6.5 HP rated engine out there, it starts easily, usually on the second pull, it has a lot of hard hours on it now and it does not leak oil nor is it showing signs of losing power from wear plus (the best part ) I got the darn thing for only a little over $80 while it was on sale and with a 20% off coupon. The negatives are it is constantly having parts fall off! The entire throttle linkage bracket and all fell off several times until I made a new bracket and the gas cap was a bad joke, it leaked profusely for a while and then the clip on the bottom that holds it to the tank fell off, the spot welds that were supposed to hold it on were little more than heat stains! With just a little bit of extra attention those little engines would have been really good but while the major components seem to be reliable enough it seems small items are just half done. Let's hope these are better.

http://www.harborfreight.com/predato...tm_source=1003

Last edited by oldred; 06-02-2011 at 09:24 AM.