Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - New HF gas engine
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011, 10:27 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts37chev
or are they just cheap and kinda ok?
i would rather pay more $$ if the quality is alot better

If you can find a store that still has some of the Greyhound engines in stock I think the 6.5 HP is only about $79 right now but that is because they are discontinuing them and clearing out the inventory, the new Predator engine is supposed to be in stock soon. It sounds like a winner BUT we have to remember this is Harbor Freight!

If you read my first post that about sums up what I have seen myself with mine and heard from others, they are powerful, they seem to be reliable and fairly tough for the major components but small parts tend to fall off. The bottom line is they seem to last as far as the engine itself but be prepared to repair external brackets and such, mine is over three years old, has been run for untold numbers of hours powering a log splitter that is used by myself and all my neighbors. It almost always starts on the first or second pull, does not leak or blow oil and has not lost power from wear, I would not hesitate to buy another one, STILL most people would be seriously annoyed by the shoddy way brackets and such are attached and I can certainly understand. This new engine sounds like it may be a lot better but until they become avaliable, which they should shortly, we just won't know for sure.