Hot Rod Forum banner

New HF gas engine

11K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  matt167 
#1 · (Edited)
I see Harbor Freight has replaced it's line of small gas engines with the new "Predator" brand which replaces the "Greyhound" line, it remains to be seen if they are an increase in quality or even cheaper built than the old models. I have a 6.5 HP (It is as powerful as I have seen with that rating) "Greyhound" on my log splitter and it's kind of mixed as to whether it could be called good or bad. On the plus side it is powerful, it will run with any 6.5 HP rated engine out there, it starts easily, usually on the second pull, it has a lot of hard hours on it now and it does not leak oil nor is it showing signs of losing power from wear plus (the best part :) ) I got the darn thing for only a little over $80 while it was on sale and with a 20% off coupon. The negatives are it is constantly having parts fall off! The entire throttle linkage bracket and all fell off several times until I made a new bracket and the gas cap was a bad joke, it leaked profusely for a while and then the clip on the bottom that holds it to the tank fell off, the spot welds that were supposed to hold it on were little more than heat stains! With just a little bit of extra attention those little engines would have been really good but while the major components seem to be reliable enough it seems small items are just half done. Let's hope these are better.

http://www.harborfreight.com/predat...m_medium=email&utm_campaign=a&utm_source=1003

#3 ·
I don't think it is an Aluminum bore.

8.8 ft. lbs. @ 2500 RPM
Precision machined aluminum alloy crankcase with heavy duty cast iron cylinder
Ball bearing support shaft for long life
Fuel shut off for safe transport
Recoil start

It says cast iron cylinder but looking at the pics I think that must mean a cast iron liner. The HF E-mail description actually says it has a forged steel crankshaft and commercial grade ball bearings but I would have to actually see that before I believe it!

The description I quoted above from the HF website says a cast iron cylinder but the link below seems to indicate an Aluminum cylinder. :confused:

Maybe that is an Aluminum cylinder with an iron bore?

http://widgets.harborfreight.com/ws...11a_direct.html&cust=00087336456&keycode=1003

#4 · (Edited)
The following is in the latest flier from HF that gets mailed out. Says "Durable HFX1 Aluminum die-cast cylinders for minimum weight and maximum performance."

I suppose that could mean an aluminum cylinder w/liner, but I'd have expected them to have included that info as a "plus". :confused:

EDIT- My browser just decided to let me see the link above- that's the same info as the flier.

#8 ·
matts37chev said:
or are they just cheap and kinda ok?
i would rather pay more $$ if the quality is alot better

If you can find a store that still has some of the Greyhound engines in stock I think the 6.5 HP is only about $79 right now but that is because they are discontinuing them and clearing out the inventory, the new Predator engine is supposed to be in stock soon. It sounds like a winner BUT we have to remember this is Harbor Freight!

If you read my first post that about sums up what I have seen myself with mine and heard from others, they are powerful, they seem to be reliable and fairly tough for the major components but small parts tend to fall off. The bottom line is they seem to last as far as the engine itself but be prepared to repair external brackets and such, mine is over three years old, has been run for untold numbers of hours powering a log splitter that is used by myself and all my neighbors. It almost always starts on the first or second pull, does not leak or blow oil and has not lost power from wear, I would not hesitate to buy another one, STILL most people would be seriously annoyed by the shoddy way brackets and such are attached and I can certainly understand. This new engine sounds like it may be a lot better but until they become avaliable, which they should shortly, we just won't know for sure.

#9 ·
I think it was common knowladge that the Greyhounds were Lifan Honda clone engines.. 1 thing that I have noticed is that push mowers this year are now mostly powered by Briggs and Stratton, where as last year, most were Lifan powered ( all were self branded ). It also may have somthing to do with the over rated engine lawsuits, as the new Predators are now marked only by the displacement.. They look like they are still the same engine, with some diffrent covers in place

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.