New Hi-perf Chevy block?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2011, 07:36 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

New Hi-perf Chevy block??

Late this afternoon, a customer dropped of a new aftermkt SBC block. This thing is beautiful. The casting and machine work is top of the line. Far better than the DART blocks we get in.

I asked the customer what it was and he said he got it from ProComp.. He thought that it was an australlian casting.

Has anyone had experience with these blocks??

When I get to the shop tomorrow I will do some research.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2011, 07:56 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

I always here bad things about procomp. Maybe they've stepped up their game.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:32 PM

Don't know if it's true but I once read on the CorvetteForum that Pro Comp stuff is made in China and often distributed thru Australia. When they first started importing heads, there was much negative feedback. I have heard that the quality of their new generation of heads is much improved. I have no personal experience but I'm sure if you Google the company, you will get lots of opinions.
Terry
Old 02-14-2011, 08:55 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi
There's some talk about the blocks over at http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh....php?p=2639016

&

http://www.nmradigital.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=94252

Like the rest of there products not much good said about them.
Rich
Old 02-14-2011, 09:41 PM

Last photo:

Now. I read these posts on yellowbullet etc. Most are a year or two old and most are posted by armchair experts, wise azzes and China haters..(Wake up people!. Your political reps, taxes and tree huggers have made it way too expensive to manufacture in the US. I'm sad to say).

Only actual complaint was soft material in blocks.. I'm sure that has been remedied.

It was too late in the day for me to actually measure the block. But I know what to look for after building SBC's since 1965. I know quality castings/machine work. This block looks like no other I've seen, as a factory fresh block..
Old 02-14-2011, 09:57 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Can you test the hardness?
Old 02-14-2011, 10:57 PM
Last photo:

Post some pics Bob. The Chinese can do some superb work if you pay them for it. When Super Tigre R/C engines which were formally made in Italy sold to a Chinese firm I was bummed out . I have used Super Tigre glow engines ever since I can remember. I have since bought several Chinese Super Tigre glow engines and they exhibit excellent metallurgy and run just as strong as the Italian versions.

Vince
Old 02-16-2011, 05:29 PM

Last photo:

Sorry, I've never been able to down load photos on this site..

Today I was busier than a cat coverin crap. But, I did check the mains/line hone on this block. Right on the money. This thing takes the Aftermkt/Dart style cam bearings etc.

Honed to spec for the pistons with a few strokes of the CK 10. Nice round cylinders. Deck is perfect finish. NOT rough like a Dart block.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:33 PM

Last photo:

I talked to the distributor for ProComp in this area. The block is 100% done in Australia. Then shipped to China where it is marked made in China. Then shipped to the USA. Something about they save 8% by doing it this way..

Checked all the specs and the thing is right on the money. I swear it weighs as much as a big block.

Any ways the block went to it's owner today. Going to have a 4" arm, the Auto Tech pistons and two stage 750 hp. nitrous system.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:27 PM
World Famous VF-14

Last journal entry: Cleaned it up...
Last photo:

I think pro comp is blowing smoke up your ***. They will never see a dime of my American money.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:40 PM

Last photo:

You will be missing a lot. ProComp plans on being a major player in the high performance game. Besides most of the automotive parts now days are imported. No matter what brand name is on it.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:54 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com
You will be missing a lot. ProComp plans on being a major player in the high performance game. Besides most of the automotive parts now days are imported. No matter what brand name is on it.
Absolutlely, why pay for an American part made in China when you can buy a Chinese part made in China for 1/2 the price?

I've noticed ProComp has been doing a lot of advertising lately, Sponsorships also.
Probably is cheaper doing the Aussie deal, most all China Steel is imported, $$.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:15 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Lets say I use to work for a company that made gear couplings. I ran a Okuma LC30 CNC Lathe. My job was to take the coupling and bore the hole in it and get the bore size to .0005 within tolerance. Big deal mcneil.
Anyways. Since the company starts getting some of these couplings from another one of our plants, which was in China, it wasn`t made of the same steel we had here in the states which I seen was always on quality wise, especially the harder red steel. The China pieces I used to have quite a laugh with. It only meant I`d be changing the insert alot more often due to one coupling would be so soft, the metal would sling off like globs of butter so the part came out oversized without a acceptable wall finish as well as bore taper. The next would be so hard it would kill the insert half way through the part meaning you were going to have to do it over plus get the size right with a new insert. Those things made for fun all night long. When the drill and tap guys got ahold of the parts that made it to them, the soft ones had threads that wouldn`t hold up to the thread checker, the hard ones were so hard a regular drill bit wouldn`t bore through them so they had to use carbide tip bits. I was happy when we finally stopped running those couplings and stuck to running our own. On the ones with the bigger bores, when clapped in the jaws the pressure had to be lowered to keep from knocking the part out of round. While this thread has nothing to do with the block Bob got, it sure showed me what china metal was like. This was years ago, but for some to be so soft it was like butter, and others to be so hard it killed inserts was plenty of lesson for me. The real kicker was, I wondered what the plant`s customers thought of those soft couplings when the run out was so great they likely failed the first time they were used over 2000 RPM. That was the first time I ever seen steel that was like rubber. Sure made me scared of china pieces after that.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:39 AM

Last photo:

It is common knowledge that these companies in China that turned out bad products and caused embarassment had CEO's that were executed,here in the states a CEO can screw up a company and walk away with millions in severance pay.Pro-Comp quality should be improving as I am sure they are keeping tabs on what we think of their products.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:32 AM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

You don't alwyas go by looks.

Here is copy and paste on the make believe Dart blocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC BLOCKS View Post
I did a lot of research on those chinese blocks, I have a free one if you want it just pay the freight and its yours.

Here are some good links to look over.

Again here are some links to look over on the last ProComp I tested and it was junk and alot of others agreed it was junk.

If you look at the pan rail the blocks are all done on a track system as there using dowels to locate the block like the chinese Dart look alike block[/b]

Here are some links on the last chinese block marketed as a High nickel or high density blocks which was not true.http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic...er=asc&start=0

Here is a good link check out who was promoting this POS.

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic...er=asc&start=0

Here is one on material make up which is interesting

Material make up of the Chinese Dart look alike block • Speed Talk

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.