New Holley Carb Replacement - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2011, 10:58 AM
64Joker

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

New Holley Carb Replacement

-I may need to replace my current carb with a new one, my question is will the newer replacement carbs fit the old configuration (purchased at least 10 years ago)?

-What about new aluminum carbs versus zinc?

-Any other parts on the old configuration that I should consider upgrading while I'm in there changing the carb?

Engine: 327ci Tran: Auto 350 Intake: Eldelbrock

Current Carb: Holley 600 CFM Vacuum Secondary - Square Flange
Model 4160

New Carb: Holley 0-80457S Model 4160 Street Performance 600 CFM
Square Flange 4-Barrel Vacuum Secondary Electric Choke.

Link to New Carb: http://holley.com/0-80457SA.asp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carb.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	446.2 KB
ID:	53671   Click image for larger version

Name:	carb side.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	523.5 KB
ID:	53672  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2011, 01:18 PM

Last photo:

If you get a new carb that is the same one as yours everything should bolt up the same. The only change was holley took the big 3/8 manifold vacuum port from the passenger side on the base plate and moved it too the back so if your using it you might need a longer or shorter hose depending what you got hooked up to it.

As far as zinc vs aluminum honestly the only difference is the weight factor and aluminum is easier to polish and will hold it longer but that's about it to me anyways. I have the same carb currently on my engine but its the 1850 model which came with a manual choke but I switched over to electric choke setup like yours.

I once had the holley street avenger 670 aluminum version but it was very horrible out of the box. There was some kind of a manufacturing defect in the fuel metering and spent countless hours checking for other things only to find out the carb was at fault.

I replaced it with a zinc holley street avenger and it ran fine with no problems. I just happened to get a bad carb that leaked through quality control. That does not mean that will happen to you if you get one of the 80457sa holleys. Either one will be good.
Eric
Old 03-19-2011, 05:30 PM
64Joker

Last photo:

Follow-up on Intake and Spacer

My current Holley 600 CFM carb is sitting on a "Moroso 64930" spacer which appears to have had it's better days.

The spacer sits on top of a Edelbrock "Performer" aluminum intake, is there
an intake identification number on this Edelbrock, the intake is at least
7 or 8 years old. I looked for an intake model number, but I didn't see one!
(see attachments pics for intake pic).

Do you recommend replacing the spacer if I replace the carb with a new one (same model).

Any specific spacer brands I should go with?
Old 03-19-2011, 06:11 PM

Last photo:

If your not having any problems with your carburetor and it runs well with no issues then you shouldn't have to replace it but if you decide too check out your spacer and see if its warped or not.

As far as spacers go I use a 4 hole 1 inch aluminum spacer for some clearance issues and it seems to make things run nice on my 350. If you do get a new carb check out holley's ebay store. You can get refurbished carburetors like the 600cfm model for about 200 bucks and these carbs are like brand new.

I got a spare one last year and checking everything over it is like brand new. Your carburetor does not seem to look very bad in the pictures. My brother has the same carb as yours but with a manual choke and I rebuilt his for him a few months back and his is a little more worse looking wise then yours but it runs just fine with no issues. My carb does not look brand new anymore after a year's worth of use but they never do keep there new look but it still works just fine minus a few hick ups here and there.

Right now holley has for about $280 shipped you can get a holley 670 street avenger with electric choke which is a little nicer then the one you and I currently have on our engines as it has vacuum quick change secondary's and a secondary metering block instead of metering plate and center hung fuel bowls. The holley 670 street avenger is basically the same carb as the holley 600 except a few different parts and flows 70 cfm more.
Eric

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.