New to the hot rod world! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2013, 04:36 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

New to the hot rod world!

Hey guys my names ryan, Im 18 and from NC! im very very new to hot rods and v8's or anything more than a turbo 4 cylinder haha. Im into import cars, i currently have a mistubishi evolution 8, many of you may or may not know what that is but thats besides the point, i joined this forum because i need a little help, My girl totaled her GMC sierra, the frame is completely done, nothing is worth salvaging besides the motor and trans, They work great, just drove the truck around the yard and 4x4 and everything works, my question is what is the easiest thing to swap this motor and transmission into? The truck is a 1993 GMC SIERRA 1500. Im no technician by any means, neither have i did a motor swap of any kind, But i think i could pull off a rather simple swap of some kind. But i dont want to have to Buy any other transmission or anything i want something straight bolt up pretty much. Just to give me something to do in my spare time, Plus i wouldnt mind haveing the growl of a v8 every once in a while. thanks!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 05:20 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Welcome Ryan,

I hope you don't take my bluntness for rudeness. I'm sure driving an EVO around, you understand what a relatively quick car is, so know first that the TBI V8s found in the late 80's- early 90's passenger cars and pick-ups need a bit of work to be performers. Even then, TBI has it's limitations.

As far as what the engine will fit into easily, just about any Chevrolet or GMC pick-up or SUV made from 1960 to now will be a "bolt-in" affair. The vehicle will have had to be a 4wd model to begin with. You will likely have to modify the crossmember for the transmission and get new driveshafts made if it's expected to go into anything other than an identical model.

You will also need the ECM, gauge assembly, and wiring harness, but to be safe I would keep the whole wrecked vehicle if possible. If you get halfway through your swap and discover you need a part that you could have gotten for free off the "donor" truck, it'll save you a lot of time and money.

If this is your first go at this stuff (which it sounds like it is) expect a few bumps and for it to cost more than you expect out of pocket.

Personally I'd sell the engine and trans (especially if it's a running 350) and use that to fund a future project, or perhaps modify your existing car.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:50 PM

thanks Valkyrie for the reply!! And no im not really looking for performance out of this motor, just simply to have a little project to do, considering the truck is just sitting and rotting. but if I were to sell the motor and trans how much do you think I could get? the trans is 4x4. the motor has about 200k on it. thanks!!
Old 04-29-2013, 08:22 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Value depends on area and demand. If it's a good running 350 and you find the right buyer (one that's looking for a 4wd EFI V8 for a swap into a older truck) you could get a lot more than if you just part them out separately. I'd check your local craigslist to see what the going rate is on a 4l60e and on a 350 chevy and go from there. If what you've got in your truck is a 305, then value is generally out the window.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:16 PM
Bubbles is the girl next door

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

Don't take this the wrong way...You said you were bored in your, spare time.
Your 18 and you have a evo ( some type of fast expensive turbo 4 right?)

See how much you can get...Ask your parents to buy you a house, in this market the buyer has a lot of leverage. Think how happy your girl and future girls will be when you have a residence! Let the woman domesticate you. No more spare boredom. If your parents are iffy on it , tell them buying a house is cheaper than a college education. They are guarantying a roof over your head for your lifetime, and that is more than college can promise.

How about a business franchise. See if your parents will front 80 grand to start a sonic drive thru or white castle type franchise. A small business owner gets tons of chicks.

A friend of mine with silver spoons got their parents to buy them a recording studio in California. Too bad there is no more music being made(except by people like jeff lynne). It was a good idea at the time, or something. I believe he then was acquiring land to build a golf coarse.

Last edited by spinn; 04-30-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:30 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,004 Times in 844 Posts
Valkyrie makes sense, Spinn makes way too much sense and thinks like I do, always looking for a business opportunity.

If I were going to do a fun swap though, I think I'd begin with a 4x4 S10 pickup and follow these instructions......
JTR Chevrolet S-10 Truck V-8 Conversion
Old 04-30-2013, 01:57 PM
Bubbles is the girl next door

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

Please, pardon my moment of clearity.

I got my vortec heads off a motor vehice accident in town. The truck was T boned, totaled out . I set a deal up with the guy to buy it back for the parts needed. After I took what I needed he salvaged the rest for glass and whatelse. Made his money back and then some.

If you had something to put it in that was special, okay. However now you need to buy a chassis for it . Work on that. Then you need to have tools and ability to do it all. To add to the stack this is your first time.

By the way, welcome to hot rodding.

Sell it . Spend the money on your girlfriend , or one of the other girls she hangs with...because she talks about you with them, and you probably have a good chance.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:16 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,004 Times in 844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
or one of the other girls she hangs with...
CAUTION, bangin' your girlfriend's girlfriend can get you hurt real bad....

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.