New Hotrod shop name - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 09:06 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

It should tell "WHAT YOU DO"...

Should be "EASY TO REMEMBER"... so they can recall it six months after they hear the name...

and in a time of the internet (and people who learn to spell from their friend's "texting language") ... "MUST BE EASY TO SPELL"!

If they can't connect the name to your services... or remember and spell the business name... it really doesn't matter what you choose.

As an example... the name I chose is "hotrodpaint.biz". Simple... easy to remember... and to spell.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 09:16 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
All I am saying guys is to respect the business side of it. Yes I ran my shop making money for all it's 13 years, I bought a house with a large down payment all with what I made from that shop, but it didn't have to be so hard, it didn't have to end, I could have made much more, I could have done much more with it, if I had understood business more.

I see a lot of guys struggle like made because they don't look at the business side of it, and I know of a number of them that do wonderful and retire without a problem because they did take the business side of it serious. That is all I am saying, take it serious, it is the life blood of the business more so than what the average guy (me) thinks when he opens.

And when you are put in charge of things like your own taxes (not being taken out of your check book every check) you can get into real trouble, which was my mistake. I am not saying everyone will do this, I am not saying this to anyone personally saying they are dumb or something, this is a general statement and should be taken as such.

I can't imagine how it can be a bad thing for someone to suggest to study business when opening a business.

Brian
Old 01-26-2013, 09:37 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
All I am saying guys is to respect the business side of it. Yes I ran my shop making money for all it's 13 years, I bought a house with a large down payment all with what I made from that shop, but it didn't have to be so hard, it didn't have to end, I could have made much more, I could have done much more with it, if I had understood business more.

I see a lot of guys struggle like made because they don't look at the business side of it, and I know of a number of them that do wonderful and retire without a problem because they did take the business side of it serious. That is all I am saying, take it serious, it is the life blood of the business more so than what the average guy (me) thinks when he opens.

And when you are put in charge of things like your own taxes (not being taken out of your check book every check) you can get into real trouble, which was my mistake. I am not saying everyone will do this, I am not saying this to anyone personally saying they are dumb or something, this is a general statement and should be taken as such.

I can't imagine how it can be a bad thing for someone to suggest to study business when opening a business.

Brian
I think that's a great idea. If I ever decide to venture out I will probably do that. There's too much I don't know about in those regards to knock it, but everything has it's time and place, and to me, I think up front should be the hustle, the making your mark, and barely breaking even. As the demand comes so should the eagerness in business type stuff, but no doubt right off the bat you should have some ideas from a business stand point. I just feel at the beginning it will always be about winging it and busting your arse to put out good work, then later if it's meant than it gets more complicated. Bottom line, you know more about it than I do, but I do have plenty of experience in other trades in which I saw a lot of companies come and go.
Heck, the place I'm at now was sold to a business oriented guy and it makes more money now.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:43 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonJay View Post
It should tell "WHAT YOU DO"...

Should be "EASY TO REMEMBER"... so they can recall it six months after they hear the name...

and in a time of the internet (and people who learn to spell from their friend's "texting language") ... "MUST BE EASY TO SPELL"!

If they can't connect the name to your services... or remember and spell the business name... it really doesn't matter what you choose.

As an example... the name I chose is "hotrodpaint.biz". Simple... easy to remember... and to spell.
You are correct easy to spell and easy to remember. That is my point, when we are artists, we get to artsy and forget the most important part about the name and the sign, WHAT DO YOU DO? You want everything in your business to be as easy as possible for your customer to come and give you money. That is what a business is all about, you open it up so people can come and give you money. You don't want them to have to jump thru hoops to do it. This comes all the way down to how easy the front door is to find and how easy it is to park (is there some employees car parked across too places?) you want it as easy as possible for people to come and give you money, that is the point.

I know a guy who is one of the most spectacular custom painters ever. He really does some spectacular work as you do. He had a very artsy name and "logo" he used that you couldn't even read! I am not kidding, I knew what he did and had no idea what the logo meant. After a few good years in business he was struggling when the economy hit the skids a in the early 2000's he was struggling but got hooked up with a company that helped him get straightened out. The first thing they did was to get rid of the goofy font and logo, they followed the basic rule that I had learned (this isn't out of my head, but make sense) and suggested he make the sign easy to read and forget the logo. His "logo" IS his name! It is very easy to read and catchy (slightly unusual) and it includes "custom paint". That help he got (more than just the name) with marketing has worked pretty well I have to assume he is still around years later and shows up at events with a display of his beautiful work to gather up business.

He has made it easier for people to come and give him money.

Hotrod1979, I am sorry you are getting these posts on business, such as in any discussion at a party or garage full of guys you are going to get different opinions and issues around the basic topic. I personally can't imagine never having been in Europe what would be a good name for a hotrod shop and have to assume things could be very different there and getting ideas from a dude in Kentucky or California may not be the best idea for you. But Dinger did offer up some great ideas from our side of the pond.

I still think that "Sjoerd's Customs" would do it if that is an understood (pronunciation wise) .

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 01-26-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:48 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
I think that's a great idea. If I ever decide to venture out I will probably do that. There's too much I don't know about in those regards to knock it, but everything has it's time and place, and to me, I think up front should be the hustle, the making your mark, and barely breaking even. As the demand comes so should the eagerness in business type stuff, but no doubt right off the bat you should have some ideas from a business stand point. I just feel at the beginning it will always be about winging it and busting your arse to put out good work, then later if it's meant than it gets more complicated. Bottom line, you know more about it than I do, but I do have plenty of experience in other trades in which I saw a lot of companies come and go.
Heck, the place I'm at now was sold to a business oriented guy and it makes more money now.
My thing is I have gotten to respect those guys I hated so much who "didn't do the work". They do a different kind of "work", the business side of it is just as much an "art" if you will, playing every note perfect on the instrument is just as important as the dude that made the instrument.

So what about some names Henry, you have been around a lot in your skate boarding career do you have any ideas to throw out there?

Brian
Old 01-26-2013, 12:48 PM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Its not some catchy name that is going to bring in the business, its YOUR REPERTATION for Quality work, and good referals, thats the best advertising you can have,, word of mouth,, happy past customers,,
knowing how to run that business is as important as knowing the job at hand, which you appairently have,,
but with out some quality work to show that prospective customer, you are dead in the water,, before you ever get off the ground,,,
strive for perfection, thats what brings in the customers,,
I named my shop,, Big Boys Tinker Toys

Last edited by Bad Rat; 01-26-2013 at 01:01 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bad Rat For This Useful Post:
NEW INTERIORS (01-26-2013)
Old 01-26-2013, 01:06 PM

Last photo:

And here we are talking about business again. Along with the best work you can put out, don't give it away to get business! Get paid well for what you are doing. That speaks volumes too.

Back you your locally scheduled discussion on shop names.

Brian
Old 01-26-2013, 01:21 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Using a few letters from your first name, I might call it JOE'S HOT RODS & BIKES. Is there anyone on the planet who can't remember JOE?
Old 01-26-2013, 01:57 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

I agree with much of the above info. When I named my website/media outlet I modified an approach that I learned from Frank Zappa. He would say that in the context of a song if a part can be spoken instead of sang, then the spoken word would always win to get the point across. It's just like Brian has been saying: the simpler and clearer the better.

My website/media outlet has a rather lengthy name but it incorporates two car terms that are used very frequently and we have a logo that is very, very straight forward and uses colors that one would associate with the state of Arizona. I did not design the logo, my business partner did, but like I said, the name was my idea.

I learned all this the hard way though. My dad has a decently successful local business that he started in 1990 and tried to give me tips years ago, but I never listened. At the time, my current business partner and I had owned a recording studio and it floundered because of our lack of business sense and sole focus on the art and aesthetic. Now I'm trying again, and doing it exactly as my dad (and many here) have said and things are lot more easy-going and consistent. Just my personal experience.

I'm going to attach a shot of our logo, but if it violates any current "advertising" rules, let me apologize in advance to the mods.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newgenhotoppic.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	70862  
Old 01-26-2013, 10:48 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
My thing is I have gotten to respect those guys I hated so much who "didn't do the work". They do a different kind of "work", the business side of it is just as much an "art" if you will, playing every note perfect on the instrument is just as important as the dude that made the instrument.

So what about some names Henry, you have been around a lot in your skate boarding career do you have any ideas to throw out there?

Brian
This took me all but about 3 minutes to come up with these. I like Rods N Pistons but with a name that good I'm sure it's been used. Can't find it on google though but do see a website. If I venture I'd check availability on that name. Could have two pistons crossed as part of the logo. Tell me that's not sick?

Cali Classics
Rods n Pistons
Hot Rod Heavens
The Rodder Club
Old 01-27-2013, 05:04 AM

Last photo:

business title

I will refrain from offering business advice. You will make it work...or you wont. My input for names..."Steel Dreams"
The Following User Says Thank You to snakebit68 For This Useful Post:
tech69 (01-27-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 07:58 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebit68 View Post
I will refrain from offering business advice. You will make it work...or you wont. My input for names..."Steel Dreams"
That goes against the advice of making it clear what you do, but DAMN that's a good name! Damn I like that name.

The one good thing about using your name is no one else is likely going to use it. "Steel Dreams" is so damn cool it's the kinda thing some guy over in the next county (or in Sjoerd's case, the next country) may use!

Now that sucked in my case. I was specializing in the collision repair of import cars. So I named the shop "Auto World body repair". First off no one could remember the name, "World autobody", Brian's World bodyshop, etc. I had to list it a number of ways in the phone book (remember those ) and the worse part, two other shops in the area were named something similar AFTER I had been using it for years. One of them I called up when they first opened and discussed the idea of them changing the name being it will be a head ache for both of us, he basically told me to go to hell and that was that. About a year later I was getting phone calls and visits on a regular basis from creditors that he owed money to, even an ex-girl friend! LOL, the dude was a total flake and now I had to deal with that!

Yep, "Sjoerd's Steel Dreams" gets my vote. Or "Steel Dreams by Sjoerd",

Brian
Old 01-27-2013, 09:46 AM

Last photo:

business names

Thats the ticket! That stinks that you got pursued by the other guys creditors. Sadly, the world is full of halfwits that want to ride the coattails of someone else's success...i.e. naming their business the same as yours in hopes of picking off your customers....but his ex-girlfriend coming after you. They must have made a beautiful couple. Hope she didnt hit you up for his child support...lol.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:49 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Just remember there's aways two sides to every story..
Old 01-27-2013, 10:01 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Martin talks a big ball game about the "business" side of things yet forgot to trademark his name. There's no rules that apply to that unless you draw the line in the sand yourself by trademarking your name and image. If I named a company Rods n Pistons I can look at Rodandpiston website and I know right off the bat it's worth looking into cause it's different and there's not a conflict of interest. they are not selling services and are not located near where I would be. I would be able to have that name and never have any issues in regards to who's entitled to the name.
The Following User Says Thank You to tech69 For This Useful Post:
NEW INTERIORS (01-27-2013)

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.