Hot Rod Forum banner

New Hotrod shop name

20K views 44 replies 14 participants last post by  mud.man.rj 
#1 ·
I am starting a hotrod and bike shop and am looking for a original business name for quite some time now.. :confused:

Hope you guys have some good ideas for a cool hotrod shop name.:D

#2 ·
You want my opinion?

1. YOU come up with your name.
2. Don't try to be clever, you want people to have a quick understanding of what you do!
3. It should be easy to read without any crazy font, clearly telling people what you do.
4. Personally, this shop is YOU, I highly recommend your name in the title.

I had a shop with a clever name, people never "got it", I had to list it in the yellow pages three different ways because people just couldn't get it right. "Bobs HotRod shop" is pretty hard to beat. IF that is what you really plan on doing most.

I have done my fair share of studying marketing, just because I am a "student" of it, I just dig the science of marketing. And everything I have ever read all supports things told to me by a man who helped me with my first yellow page ad. He was a retired ad man and he told me the facts without wanting to make a sale, you know what I mean, he told me the truth.

One of the most important things is to not get caught up in the crazy notion that you WILL be known because of how great you are at what you do. Yes this is true, you will be, HOWEVER, at that point you don't even need a sign or a name! People will tell people how to get to you. You don't even need a sign on the building, the sign is for people who DON'T know you and what you do. This is why you need a name and sign that is very clear, simple font, no clever saying, BS, it should tell people what you DO in a glance. You are NOT the big boys who have a logo that doesn't even need words. A big yellow M (McDonalds) , a couple of round red circles (Target) you don't have the millions of dollars in marketing to make people see "TARGET" when they see that red circle.
It's like I always say, there is a reason why the street signs the state and city put up don't have cute and clever sayings, colors, art or font, BECAUSE THEY WANT PEOPLE TO BE ABLE TO READ THEM! :D

Just a few ideas. :D

Brian

#3 ·
I some what agree with Brian. Keep it simple but at the same time if you can come up with a clever name to incorporate an idea or location, do it. Keep in mind that any logos, names, etc will cost more to print for business use. I like the idea of using a location, if it hasn't been taken. Locals are going to use your business, not some guy 2000 miles away, for the most part. Chop Chop Cycles and Cars sticks in my little brain, I've seen it some where.

A couple of buddies that build cars have started billing in phases. Remove a body, sand blast the frame and powder coat, X amount of dollars. Bodywork on the front end, X amount of dollars. It takes away the shock of a high dollar amount all at once, it makes a fellow look at what has been done and the labor involved as a snapshot of what has been done, creating the concept of what is involved in building a car. The owner stays current on his bill, if he doesn't like the direction everything is going in, he can pull his car out and no one owes or is out a chunk of cash. These guys are charging around $60 an hour, anyone that hasn't been happy with results and charges soon realize they can't find anyone cheaper or better to do the job, these guys are honest in their billing and do nice work. That counts for a LOT! They don't get in over their heads with too many cars at one time, robbing Peter to pay Paul, keeping jobs at 3-4 vehicles at a time. Good luck with the venture.

#4 ·
Dan, you touched on something else, business. A very common mistake for people, they think that the "business" is building cars, and it isn't. Another common myth is that the automotive business is so different, it is not one bit different than any other business, a liquor store, a hamburger joint, a cat house, or a lemonade stand, they are all exactly the same, business is business, sales are sales, buy low sell high, they are exactly the same.

And without the business knowledge or someone you can hand that part of the shop over to and trust, like a good accountant, you will likely fail or at least work way too hard and too many hours for your meager take home pay.

Study business as much as building cars and bikes if you want to be a success in business. Create a new passion for the business just as you have for doing the work.

Ask me how I know. :drunk:

Brian

#5 ·
Thank you guys for the advice. I will tell you a little about my background.
I am from the Netherlands so excuse me if my English is not correct.

I have started in college studying business and got my Bachelor degree in commerce. Then I followed a Master in Marketing and got that degree as well.
I have worked as an marketing communication consultant for quite some time.

About 17 years ago I started to work on Cars and Bikes. I have had this hobby ever since. About 5 years ago this hobby got out of hand and I started to overhaul complete cars. Building cars and bikes took my mind of my stressfull and tiresome job.
Now that I realized that I find more joy in creating things with my hands I want to start up shop for real. I am pretty much a self taught mechanic. I can work on engines, bodywork paint, pretty much everything except for upholstery.

As for a shop name. I don't want to use a dutch name. The dutch hotrodders market is to small so I have to expand my business to Europe. My name is Sjoerd de Groen, not a particularly easy name... LOL.
I thought some input from other hotrodders won't hurt ar all.. That's why I posted this thread.. :D

#38 ·
Is this your work:

I ran across it trying to find how to pronounce your name, and I almost fell over! If it was a Panhead, the color was blue, and the seat a little different, that's my '64 all over again, at least looks-wise. Weird! Mine still had drum brakes and a nickle plated oil tank and a mousetrap, detail differences but overall, at a glance they look very similar.

#6 ·
You are a sharp man and you will do well. :thumbup:

You don't think "Sjoerd's hotrods" will work huh? What's funny is around here it wouldn't but somewhere else in the world like yours it still may be a good way to go. But if you want to spread out yes that may be hard. Honestly the simpler the better, wanting to get it around Europe all the better. Something that can be understood in different areas of Europe makes all the more sense. Of course unless we were there it's pretty hard.

Right on the discussion here is always good, your info is interesting and I hope to see other ideas.

Brian

#14 ·
Just tossing the idea of billing in phases, it's working for a lot of the guys I know.

Give it an American twist, RockinRollin Rides. Cruzin Unlimited. Kar Kreations. Kool Kustom Kars. Dream Rides. Hot Rod House. House of Wheels. Kool Daddy Kustoms. The Road House. Throw your name into the beginning of the name so there's some recognition going on as time goes by. Good Luck.

Reactions: Hotrod1979
#12 ·
Advice thrown out there should always be valued. If you know it all, it still is ok to nod your head with agreement, it makes you a bigger man.

We all have different ideals and understanding of things. We all have something to offer, it doesn't mean it is the only way, but that advice thrown out there by someone may be of use.

Brian

#15 ·
just my 2 cents

I've always thought a pitbull mascot would look super cool in conjuction with a hot rod logo. Maybe like flexing a muscle holding a wrench or something, or standing against a hotrod. I don't know. Or maybe a piston man or something. Something catchy that you can eventually incorporate into lots of things like shirts sweaters stickers, etc. Then I'd go to all the shows and put them on cars I did and on anyone's car who will let me. I'd also give away many shirts and business cards. I'd also restore my own car so people will be guaranteed to see a car you've done at each show. I'm talking very local shows where people are just chatting and appreciating each others cars. With that obviously a tricked out website. Just an idea.

As far as having a business degree, I say be the prideful tech you are, it's hotrod stuff, not pushing stuff out the door. I see good success with a guy that will stay in the shop all night to get something done right and have a wife who's behind him crunching the numbers and reminding him it's a business. I see that scenario working a lot in shops. When they hire outside sources to crunch the numbers seems like a lot of the numbers are to pay for the guy to crunch the numbers. I dunno. Baby steps first then you can bring in the nerd, but if the wife is good at it, why not?

#16 ·
It should tell "WHAT YOU DO"...

Should be "EASY TO REMEMBER"... so they can recall it six months after they hear the name...

and in a time of the internet (and people who learn to spell from their friend's "texting language") ... "MUST BE EASY TO SPELL"!

If they can't connect the name to your services... or remember and spell the business name... it really doesn't matter what you choose.

As an example... the name I chose is "hotrodpaint.biz". Simple... easy to remember... and to spell.

#19 · (Edited)
You are correct easy to spell and easy to remember. That is my point, when we are artists, we get to artsy and forget the most important part about the name and the sign, WHAT DO YOU DO? You want everything in your business to be as easy as possible for your customer to come and give you money. That is what a business is all about, you open it up so people can come and give you money. You don't want them to have to jump thru hoops to do it. This comes all the way down to how easy the front door is to find and how easy it is to park (is there some employees car parked across too places?) you want it as easy as possible for people to come and give you money, that is the point.

I know a guy who is one of the most spectacular custom painters ever. He really does some spectacular work as you do. He had a very artsy name and "logo" he used that you couldn't even read! I am not kidding, I knew what he did and had no idea what the logo meant. After a few good years in business he was struggling when the economy hit the skids a in the early 2000's he was struggling but got hooked up with a company that helped him get straightened out. The first thing they did was to get rid of the goofy font and logo, they followed the basic rule that I had learned (this isn't out of my head, but make sense) and suggested he make the sign easy to read and forget the logo. His "logo" IS his name! It is very easy to read and catchy (slightly unusual) and it includes "custom paint". That help he got (more than just the name) with marketing has worked pretty well I have to assume he is still around years later and shows up at events with a display of his beautiful work to gather up business.

He has made it easier for people to come and give him money. :D

Hotrod1979, I am sorry you are getting these posts on business, such as in any discussion at a party or garage full of guys you are going to get different opinions and issues around the basic topic. I personally can't imagine never having been in Europe what would be a good name for a hotrod shop and have to assume things could be very different there and getting ideas from a dude in Kentucky or California may not be the best idea for you. But Dinger did offer up some great ideas from our side of the pond.

I still think that "Sjoerd's Customs" would do it if that is an understood (pronunciation wise) . :D

Brian

#17 ·
All I am saying guys is to respect the business side of it. Yes I ran my shop making money for all it's 13 years, I bought a house with a large down payment all with what I made from that shop, but it didn't have to be so hard, it didn't have to end, I could have made much more, I could have done much more with it, if I had understood business more.

I see a lot of guys struggle like made because they don't look at the business side of it, and I know of a number of them that do wonderful and retire without a problem because they did take the business side of it serious. That is all I am saying, take it serious, it is the life blood of the business more so than what the average guy (me) thinks when he opens.

And when you are put in charge of things like your own taxes (not being taken out of your check book every check) you can get into real trouble, which was my mistake. I am not saying everyone will do this, I am not saying this to anyone personally saying they are dumb or something, this is a general statement and should be taken as such.

I can't imagine how it can be a bad thing for someone to suggest to study business when opening a business. :rolleyes:

Brian

#18 ·
I think that's a great idea. If I ever decide to venture out I will probably do that. There's too much I don't know about in those regards to knock it, but everything has it's time and place, and to me, I think up front should be the hustle, the making your mark, and barely breaking even. As the demand comes so should the eagerness in business type stuff, but no doubt right off the bat you should have some ideas from a business stand point. I just feel at the beginning it will always be about winging it and busting your arse to put out good work, then later if it's meant than it gets more complicated. Bottom line, you know more about it than I do, but I do have plenty of experience in other trades in which I saw a lot of companies come and go.
Heck, the place I'm at now was sold to a business oriented guy and it makes more money now.

#21 · (Edited)
Its not some catchy name that is going to bring in the business, its YOUR REPERTATION for Quality work, and good referals, thats the best advertising you can have,, word of mouth,, happy past customers,,
knowing how to run that business is as important as knowing the job at hand, which you appairently have,,
but with out some quality work to show that prospective customer, you are dead in the water,, before you ever get off the ground,,,
strive for perfection, thats what brings in the customers,,
I named my shop,, Big Boys Tinker Toys

#36 · (Edited)
Bad Rat said all you need to know about a Name.....:thumbup: You can call it Misfit custom's if you want too..... If your repertation is a good one.. That sign out front don't mean *******..... Now on the other side of the coin.. You can have the best sign, Best Hot rod name ever used... And a bad repertation and your boat will sink faster then you can bail it out... Start out small build your name and you don't even need a flashy name after that..Believe me... People will find you...:mwink:

One more thing about being in business,, NEVER worry about the next guy down the street from you.. Do your own thing and forget about everyone else..And things will fall in place,, Where MOST people fail in Business is when THEY START WORRYING about the other guy down the street and what he's doing..Seen this happen so many times..

#22 ·
And here we are talking about business again. :D Along with the best work you can put out, don't give it away to get business! Get paid well for what you are doing. That speaks volumes too.

Back you your locally scheduled discussion on shop names. :D

Brian

#24 ·
I agree with much of the above info. When I named my website/media outlet I modified an approach that I learned from Frank Zappa. He would say that in the context of a song if a part can be spoken instead of sang, then the spoken word would always win to get the point across. It's just like Brian has been saying: the simpler and clearer the better.

My website/media outlet has a rather lengthy name but it incorporates two car terms that are used very frequently and we have a logo that is very, very straight forward and uses colors that one would associate with the state of Arizona. I did not design the logo, my business partner did, but like I said, the name was my idea.

I learned all this the hard way though. My dad has a decently successful local business that he started in 1990 and tried to give me tips years ago, but I never listened. At the time, my current business partner and I had owned a recording studio and it floundered because of our lack of business sense and sole focus on the art and aesthetic. Now I'm trying again, and doing it exactly as my dad (and many here) have said and things are lot more easy-going and consistent. Just my personal experience.

I'm going to attach a shot of our logo, but if it violates any current "advertising" rules, let me apologize in advance to the mods.

Attachments

#27 ·
I will refrain from offering business advice. You will make it work...or you wont. My input for names..."Steel Dreams"
That goes against the advice of making it clear what you do, but DAMN that's a good name! Damn I like that name.

The one good thing about using your name is no one else is likely going to use it. "Steel Dreams" is so damn cool it's the kinda thing some guy over in the next county (or in Sjoerd's case, the next country) may use!

Now that sucked in my case. I was specializing in the collision repair of import cars. So I named the shop "Auto World body repair". First off no one could remember the name, "World autobody", Brian's World bodyshop, etc. I had to list it a number of ways in the phone book (remember those :drunk:) and the worse part, two other shops in the area were named something similar AFTER I had been using it for years. One of them I called up when they first opened and discussed the idea of them changing the name being it will be a head ache for both of us, he basically told me to go to hell and that was that. About a year later I was getting phone calls and visits on a regular basis from creditors that he owed money to, even an ex-girl friend! LOL, the dude was a total flake and now I had to deal with that!

Yep, "Sjoerd's Steel Dreams" gets my vote. :D Or "Steel Dreams by Sjoerd", :D

Brian

#28 ·
business names

Thats the ticket! That stinks that you got pursued by the other guys creditors. Sadly, the world is full of halfwits that want to ride the coattails of someone else's success...i.e. naming their business the same as yours in hopes of picking off your customers....but his ex-girlfriend coming after you. They must have made a beautiful couple. Hope she didnt hit you up for his child support...lol.

#34 ·
Thats the ticket! That stinks that you got pursued by the other guys creditors. Sadly, the world is full of halfwits that want to ride the coattails of someone else's success...i.e. naming their business the same as yours in hopes of picking off your customers....but his ex-girlfriend coming after you. They must have made a beautiful couple. Hope she didnt hit you up for his child support...lol.
I am not saying in anyway that the guy was "riding on the coattails of someone else's success" not in the least bit. He simply though of the same name. It's happened over and over throughout history, this is why a clever name may also be clever to someone else and wham, you have two businesses with the same name.

I don't think for a minute he "copied" me, I was a little bohunk shop it isn't like he was "riding on my coattails" he simply grabbed the name out of thin air I assume. The sad part is we have a government agency called "Fictitious names" Fictitious Business Name Filing - Clerk-Recorder's Office - Alameda County and I went down there and registered the name. When this guy came along I was blown away when I called that agency to see how this could happen and they said "We can't stop someone from doing it we can only suggest they don't"????? Then what in the hell good is this agency? Anyway, he probably didn't even use it.

The whole "trademark" issue is a joke anyway. Like any legal document it is basically only good the day it is signed. Think about it, if any of you have had a divorce, did all the documents about child support and what not stay forever exactly like it did the day you signed it after the divorce? Nope, when you made more money back to court she took you and got more child support. Two companies can have the same trademarked name! What it really means for you is if you have more money than the other guy to sue them in court over it, that is just about all it means.

How Screwed Am I? Another Business Has the Same Name As Mine! | SEOmoz

And someone can come out of no where and sue just because your name KINDA sounds like theirs, they may not win, but they have every right to take you to court and make you spend your hard earned money defending it.

This is why choosing a good name is so darn important.

Brian

#30 ·
Martin talks a big ball game about the "business" side of things yet forgot to trademark his name. :D There's no rules that apply to that unless you draw the line in the sand yourself by trademarking your name and image. If I named a company Rods n Pistons I can look at Rodandpiston website and I know right off the bat it's worth looking into cause it's different and there's not a conflict of interest. they are not selling services and are not located near where I would be. I would be able to have that name and never have any issues in regards to who's entitled to the name.

#32 ·
Henry, I have to assume you are just joking as I know you are much smarter than that. Copywriting a name costs thousands of dollars so very, very few small businesses do it. And of course that is exactly how I can give advice because I learned from mistakes. It isn't that someone is going to steal the name, God know the guy didn't steal the name from me, two people can think of the same thing. And um, look up the web site, um.....this was 1982 so in like in the days before cars and trucks, people had to walk or ride an animal to get somewhere, it was different than today.

Brian

#37 ·
that's very good advice. I'd put lots of emphasis on customer satisfaction at first. Not say that once you build a name slack off but doing a bunch of free stuff and going over and beyond expectations helps a lot. There's also how you word it. You can find something that you know you can charge for but you also know that pride won't leave you alone if you don't do it if he decides to not pay for it. So you remind the customer he got a freebie, even though you would have done it anyways. My boss is a master at that. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.