New Hotrod shop name - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 05:47 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

New Hotrod shop name

I am starting a hotrod and bike shop and am looking for a original business name for quite some time now..

Hope you guys have some good ideas for a cool hotrod shop name.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 08:36 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,025 Posts
You want my opinion?

1. YOU come up with your name.
2. Don't try to be clever, you want people to have a quick understanding of what you do!
3. It should be easy to read without any crazy font, clearly telling people what you do.
4. Personally, this shop is YOU, I highly recommend your name in the title.

I had a shop with a clever name, people never "got it", I had to list it in the yellow pages three different ways because people just couldn't get it right. "Bobs HotRod shop" is pretty hard to beat. IF that is what you really plan on doing most.

I have done my fair share of studying marketing, just because I am a "student" of it, I just dig the science of marketing. And everything I have ever read all supports things told to me by a man who helped me with my first yellow page ad. He was a retired ad man and he told me the facts without wanting to make a sale, you know what I mean, he told me the truth.

One of the most important things is to not get caught up in the crazy notion that you WILL be known because of how great you are at what you do. Yes this is true, you will be, HOWEVER, at that point you don't even need a sign or a name! People will tell people how to get to you. You don't even need a sign on the building, the sign is for people who DON'T know you and what you do. This is why you need a name and sign that is very clear, simple font, no clever saying, BS, it should tell people what you DO in a glance. You are NOT the big boys who have a logo that doesn't even need words. A big yellow M (McDonalds) , a couple of round red circles (Target) you don't have the millions of dollars in marketing to make people see "TARGET" when they see that red circle.
It's like I always say, there is a reason why the street signs the state and city put up don't have cute and clever sayings, colors, art or font, BECAUSE THEY WANT PEOPLE TO BE ABLE TO READ THEM!

Just a few ideas.

Brian
Old 01-25-2013, 11:51 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I some what agree with Brian. Keep it simple but at the same time if you can come up with a clever name to incorporate an idea or location, do it. Keep in mind that any logos, names, etc will cost more to print for business use. I like the idea of using a location, if it hasn't been taken. Locals are going to use your business, not some guy 2000 miles away, for the most part. Chop Chop Cycles and Cars sticks in my little brain, I've seen it some where.

A couple of buddies that build cars have started billing in phases. Remove a body, sand blast the frame and powder coat, X amount of dollars. Bodywork on the front end, X amount of dollars. It takes away the shock of a high dollar amount all at once, it makes a fellow look at what has been done and the labor involved as a snapshot of what has been done, creating the concept of what is involved in building a car. The owner stays current on his bill, if he doesn't like the direction everything is going in, he can pull his car out and no one owes or is out a chunk of cash. These guys are charging around $60 an hour, anyone that hasn't been happy with results and charges soon realize they can't find anyone cheaper or better to do the job, these guys are honest in their billing and do nice work. That counts for a LOT! They don't get in over their heads with too many cars at one time, robbing Peter to pay Paul, keeping jobs at 3-4 vehicles at a time. Good luck with the venture.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:32 PM

Last photo:

Dan, you touched on something else, business. A very common mistake for people, they think that the "business" is building cars, and it isn't. Another common myth is that the automotive business is so different, it is not one bit different than any other business, a liquor store, a hamburger joint, a cat house, or a lemonade stand, they are all exactly the same, business is business, sales are sales, buy low sell high, they are exactly the same.

And without the business knowledge or someone you can hand that part of the shop over to and trust, like a good accountant, you will likely fail or at least work way too hard and too many hours for your meager take home pay.

Study business as much as building cars and bikes if you want to be a success in business. Create a new passion for the business just as you have for doing the work.

Ask me how I know.

Brian
Old 01-25-2013, 01:03 PM

Last photo:

Thank you guys for the advice. I will tell you a little about my background.
I am from the Netherlands so excuse me if my English is not correct.

I have started in college studying business and got my Bachelor degree in commerce. Then I followed a Master in Marketing and got that degree as well.
I have worked as an marketing communication consultant for quite some time.

About 17 years ago I started to work on Cars and Bikes. I have had this hobby ever since. About 5 years ago this hobby got out of hand and I started to overhaul complete cars. Building cars and bikes took my mind of my stressfull and tiresome job.
Now that I realized that I find more joy in creating things with my hands I want to start up shop for real. I am pretty much a self taught mechanic. I can work on engines, bodywork paint, pretty much everything except for upholstery.

As for a shop name. I don't want to use a dutch name. The dutch hotrodders market is to small so I have to expand my business to Europe. My name is Sjoerd de Groen, not a particularly easy name... LOL.
I thought some input from other hotrodders won't hurt ar all.. That's why I posted this thread..
Old 01-25-2013, 01:12 PM

Last photo:

You are a sharp man and you will do well.

You don't think "Sjoerd's hotrods" will work huh? What's funny is around here it wouldn't but somewhere else in the world like yours it still may be a good way to go. But if you want to spread out yes that may be hard. Honestly the simpler the better, wanting to get it around Europe all the better. Something that can be understood in different areas of Europe makes all the more sense. Of course unless we were there it's pretty hard.

Right on the discussion here is always good, your info is interesting and I hope to see other ideas.

Brian
Old 01-25-2013, 01:31 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger View Post
I some what agree with Brian. Keep it simple but at the same time if you can come up with a clever name to incorporate an idea or location, do it. Keep in mind that any logos, names, etc will cost more to print for business use. I like the idea of using a location, if it hasn't been taken. Locals are going to use your business, not some guy 2000 miles away, for the most part. Chop Chop Cycles and Cars sticks in my little brain, I've seen it some where.

A couple of buddies that build cars have started billing in phases. Remove a body, sand blast the frame and powder coat, X amount of dollars. Bodywork on the front end, X amount of dollars. It takes away the shock of a high dollar amount all at once, it makes a fellow look at what has been done and the labor involved as a snapshot of what has been done, creating the concept of what is involved in building a car. The owner stays current on his bill, if he doesn't like the direction everything is going in, he can pull his car out and no one owes or is out a chunk of cash. These guys are charging around $60 an hour, anyone that hasn't been happy with results and charges soon realize they can't find anyone cheaper or better to do the job, these guys are honest in their billing and do nice work. That counts for a LOT! They don't get in over their heads with too many cars at one time, robbing Peter to pay Paul, keeping jobs at 3-4 vehicles at a time. Good luck with the venture.

Good post dinger.. And very true..
Old 01-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

.................................................. ...................

Last edited by NEW INTERIORS; 01-25-2013 at 02:18 PM. Reason: never mind..
Old 01-25-2013, 02:05 PM

Last photo:

Guys, sorry but what has this got to do with my topic? I am not asking for advice how to run an business.. Just wanted some good input for a name..
Old 01-25-2013, 02:08 PM

Last photo:

Also, if you want to run a business succesfully, all that takes is some common sense and commercial understanding. That last can't be taught, that's a quality...
The Following User Says Thank You to Hotrod1979 For This Useful Post:
NEW INTERIORS (01-25-2013)
Old 01-25-2013, 02:19 PM

Last journal entry: Test Entry
Last photo:

Sjoerd's Streetrods.

Quick.Fast.Understood.

That'll be $120.00 for the naming rights please.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:26 PM

Last photo:

Advice thrown out there should always be valued. If you know it all, it still is ok to nod your head with agreement, it makes you a bigger man.

We all have different ideals and understanding of things. We all have something to offer, it doesn't mean it is the only way, but that advice thrown out there by someone may be of use.

Brian
Old 01-25-2013, 02:30 PM

Last photo:

Brian, I agree!
The Following User Says Thank You to Hotrod1979 For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (01-25-2013)
Old 01-26-2013, 01:20 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod1979 View Post
Guys, sorry but what has this got to do with my topic? I am not asking for advice how to run an business.. Just wanted some good input for a name..
Just tossing the idea of billing in phases, it's working for a lot of the guys I know.

Give it an American twist, RockinRollin Rides. Cruzin Unlimited. Kar Kreations. Kool Kustom Kars. Dream Rides. Hot Rod House. House of Wheels. Kool Daddy Kustoms. The Road House. Throw your name into the beginning of the name so there's some recognition going on as time goes by. Good Luck.
Hotrod1979 (01-26-2013)
Old 01-26-2013, 05:20 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

just my 2 cents

I've always thought a pitbull mascot would look super cool in conjuction with a hot rod logo. Maybe like flexing a muscle holding a wrench or something, or standing against a hotrod. I don't know. Or maybe a piston man or something. Something catchy that you can eventually incorporate into lots of things like shirts sweaters stickers, etc. Then I'd go to all the shows and put them on cars I did and on anyone's car who will let me. I'd also give away many shirts and business cards. I'd also restore my own car so people will be guaranteed to see a car you've done at each show. I'm talking very local shows where people are just chatting and appreciating each others cars. With that obviously a tricked out website. Just an idea.

As far as having a business degree, I say be the prideful tech you are, it's hotrod stuff, not pushing stuff out the door. I see good success with a guy that will stay in the shop all night to get something done right and have a wife who's behind him crunching the numbers and reminding him it's a business. I see that scenario working a lot in shops. When they hire outside sources to crunch the numbers seems like a lot of the numbers are to pay for the guy to crunch the numbers. I dunno. Baby steps first then you can bring in the nerd, but if the wife is good at it, why not?

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.