New Hotroder.. in the making - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2009, 07:13 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

New Hotroder.. in the making

Hello, i am just wondering what the basic tools i will need in my shed before i go getting a rod i better buy all the bits and peices that will fix it all up.

What tools will i need? can someone please give me a list of all the tools please?

any help would be great, thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2009, 08:10 AM
I put up the tools against$300

Last photo:

The first thing I would do is look at the posting guidelines for this site. This site is a great resource for information and there are a lot of people here that can answer just about any question you have. The info here is worth far more than any tool you can buy at a store.

To answer your question, unless you have about $10k to drop on tools there is no way you could possibly buy every tool your going to need for your project. I probably have more tools in my garage than everyone on my street and I seem to have to buy something everytime I work on a project. It's not a bad idea to get the most complete socket, ratchet, wrench and screwdriver set you can find. I believe sears has their largest craftsman tool set on sell right now actually and it's around $300, down from $500 (I just happened to be there over the weekend.). Organization is just as important. It's no fun being held up for an hour looking for a tool that you need to use for 5 minutes.

What kind of work are you going to be doing on your project? Body? Mechanical? Electrical?
Old 03-17-2009, 08:23 AM

I'm going to have to do body repairs, paint the whole car, new engine, was thinking about manual conversion and needs lights wiring up.

i have a toolbox but its nothing flash. was gunna by all the tools i needed and than get stuck into the car.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:51 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,009 Times in 848 Posts
I think most of us amassed our tool collection the same way, buying good quality basic sets such as screwdriver sets, then socket sets and ratchets, then hammer sets, etc., etc. Like DaSouthWon said, you will never have the tool you need for a specific problem and will continue buying specialty tools until they shovel dirt in your face.

My best advice would be to buy the very best quality you can find, even though this reduces the number of tools you can buy at one time for the same money. Good tools will last a lifetime. Cheapo tools will break, bend or wear out and you'll spend double money replacing them with good ones. It's not unusual at all for a hobbyist to have $20,000 invested in a box and hand tools.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:31 PM

Okay guys, thanks for the advise but another question would be...
What is a good tool brand that i should buy? i have been told sidchrome is a good brand, what are your recomendations?
Old 03-18-2009, 01:00 AM
I put up the tools against$300

Last photo:

I really hate to recommend any particular brand. But for the weekend warrior non-professional buying Snap-On and other tools designed for a lifetime of professional use is silly. Sears sells Craftsman, Home Depot sells Husky, and Lowes sells.... well I can't recall Lowe's store brand but I'm sure it's comparable to Sears' and Home Depot's store brand. I will say this, buy the best quality tools you can afford. Cheap tools always seem to fail you at the most important time you need them. You only want to have to buy them once, that way instead of replacing junk you're increasing your toolbox. If money is an issue check eBay, you can buy used sockets and ratchets at a fraction of what they were new, and if there a brand like Craftsman you can get new ones if they break for free.

The best thing I ever did was buy an air compressor and air tools. It makes working on cars not near as much "work" and you work a lot faster.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:32 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn
Okay guys, thanks for the advise but another question would be...
What is a good tool brand that i should buy? i have been told sidchrome is a good brand, what are your recomendations?
That's a hard question to answer. I have no idea what brands are sold in Australia

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.