New hyd lifters all ticking - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2008, 11:19 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

New hyd lifters all ticking

Hi,

I recently broke in my 460 ford with Comp Cam, hyd flat tappet lifters and roller tip rockers. I followed instructions for break in to the letter.

After a few hundred miles, I'm getting severe lifter tick across all rockers. Oil pressure excellent.

I removed valve covers found all rockers very slightly loose from side to side and pushrods I can easily turn between my fingers. When I crank the rocker nuts down to remove lash...the lash comes back very soon - it feels as though oil is leaving the lifters and they need to be tightened down even more.

Of course I thought I destroyed my cam during break in so I removed it an all the lifters. The lobe surfaces, bearing surfaces and lifters look excelent/perfect.

Any advice on what's happening? Help apprec.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2008, 11:50 AM

Last photo:

depending on which comp lifters u used some are a bit noisey (pro magnum and high tech)
Old 04-27-2008, 05:27 PM

Thanks.

Not sure exactly what Comp Cams pn...

By "noisy", I assume you mean that the lifters won't pump up fully at idle and the rockers are a bit loose...which doesn't sound right to me...?
Old 04-27-2008, 07:34 PM

Last photo:

mine is fairly quiet at idle but around 1500 - 2000 kinda has that sewing machine sound to it
Old 04-27-2008, 08:30 PM

Got it.

At 800 RPM idle this thing sounds like its down 2 qts of oil. With the alum valve covers, it really echos, almost a knocking sound.

I've installed hyd lifters before. I roll the pushrod in my fingers, then tighten down the rocker arm nut until I can't rotate the pushrod anymore, then I turn it another 1/2 turn.

When I do this now, the rocker/push rod is tight like above. But I wait 5 mins, the rocker/push rod loosens up again.

I'm puzzled, I'm going to see my engine builder tomorrow...
Old 04-27-2008, 09:45 PM

Must be.....

Part Number is XE262H-10

I assume XE = Xtreme Energy?
Old 04-27-2008, 09:47 PM

Wait, yes it is an Extreme Energy cam

Correct Part Number = 34-238-4
Old 04-27-2008, 10:26 PM

fascinating and thanks for the info.

Now let me tell you that this cam was selected by my eng builder as good match for my 8-71 BDS blower and 2x750 BGs.

Since I broke the motor in with the blower installed and developed annoying exh gasket leak, all of the noise (I suppose) must have been masking noisy valve train. I'm also running 10W-40, I believe.

All of this came about last fri night when my builder was gone for the weekend. I removed the blower belt to validate exh gasket fixed, and absolutely panicked when I found I couldn't eliminate lifter tick, expected the worst down there.

So it look/sounds like:

1. Noise is normal
2. My cam.lifters broke in great
3. I tore down the whole ting for nothing :-(
4. If I'm not doing any damage, then I don't care how loud the tick is- the blower solves for that

Thanks much, very helpful
Old 04-28-2008, 07:17 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Hi Wix,

I just experienced a similar thing with my 454 ... except I wasn't as lucky. I wiped a lobe off the cam.

Same scenario, sort of.
Fired the engine up with open headers ... and didn't hear the ticking until after I put mufflers on.

I'm going shopping for a hydraulic roller this time, I think.
Maybe I'll start my own thread with the whole long, sad, story ... and ask others for their advice and comments.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:52 AM

66GMC: Yeah, I've heard Hyd Roller is a no brainer. I was also told it would be at least $850 for all the hardware. Lemme know how it goes!

F-Bird: Great info, thanks for taking the time to share all of this. I visited my builder with my problem, who agreed my cam and lifters broke in perfectly and also indicated that these cams ARE noisy. He recommended I put everygting back together and run Joe Gibbs XP4 (15W-50)

And, I seized on you comment:

"You can try changing the oil to a thicker oil 40weight or 50weight.
I found this effective on my motor with the XE comp cam."

Frankly, I forget what weight installed after break in, but I would guess it was 10W30. But yeah, after I climb out of this hole I'm in I will try this, in hindsight I should have tried this before breaking everything down last weekend.

AND: Here's much more info than you all may care to read, but I'm going to post it in the event that it helps others learning the business of cam selection/break in/making mistakes. By the way, this motor is an 8:1 forged 460 .030 8-71 blower ... 2x750 Barry Grant M Demons ... Unilite 20 deg initial timing 34 all in at 3500...connected to C6 Auto trans and Ford Auburn 3.89 rear end installed in a 4500+ pound 1971 Lincoln. Its intended for "spirited driving" on the street.

As far as Cam selection: Long ago I purch a complete 8-71 blower kit from Blower Drive Service which included their reocmmended, "Stage II" spec hyd flat cam for 429/460 ford (street application). The cam was made by Iskendarian. Specs:

Lift: 540/.565
Dur @ 50: 221/232
Lobe Ctr: 110

Here's prob more info than you care to read, but maybe it will help other interested in this topic. FYI: This motor is installed in a 4500+ pound Lincoln Mark III with C6 Auto trans / 3.89 9" Ford Auburn rear / intended to be used on the street for ... fun.

BDS specifically indicates they have done tons of testing (of course they have) and found 110 lobe ctrs are best for gasoline engines; 112/114 give prod even moe cyl pressures, best for alch/meth but not very nice on gas.
Interestingly, every one of their 'matched' cams have 110 centers.

Whatever. I destroyed the cam and lifters. I assumed I didn't break in properly (the assembled engine sat for 2 years before I fired it, and while I ran the motor for 20 mins at 1800 RPM (per my builder's recommendation) after a few hundred miles all the lobes wore down and the lifters wouldn't even pull up from out of heir bores).

Now I orig thought I screwed up because a) the cam assy lube "dried out" after two years of sitting...? and b) I didn't run the RPMs high enough? So I replaced the cam and lifters using same parts fo BDS. Sure enough, I ruined ths second set (!). Finally, I spoke with others (hot rodders, cam companies, engine builders, my wife) who thought my builder should not have used dual valve springs (max RPM 6000 on he street), or at least should have told me to remove the innner spring during break in. Whatever, this was a hard, time consuming lesson to learn for an amateur mechanic like me.

Next I went to reputable race shop (25 years in biz building winning NHRA motors). I had them rebuild the motor using their recommended top end. They questioned the spring pressures, too. They recommended a hyd roller cam - or a more economical Comp Cams Extreme Energy std flat hyd using the following specs with single springs.

Lift: .515/.520
Dur @ 50: 218/224
Lobe sep: 110

I can see this cam is a bit 'smaller' than the BDS recommended cam, but I trust the builders to help me do what's best for my app.

At the end of the season - provided all runs well this summer, I am definitely going to investigate poss of opening up greater power potential per your cam ideas. Thanks again.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:09 PM
68 Camaro 383

Last photo:

My lifters are noisy when I haven't run the car for a while, but after warming up the engine and driving it a little it seems to go away. I have always though it is because the hydraulic lifters need to fill back up with oil. As stated earlier I would also run a 15W-50 oil after the break-in period.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:20 PM

Good news. I got the motor back together today, re-installed XE Comp Cam and lifters al in orig bores and used plenty of comp cam assy lube all over it.

Put in 5 qts of joe gibbs xp4. I was told that GM EOS isn't even avail anymore (or soon won't be); government cracking down on zinc, phosphates and other yummy poisons for our motors. But won't affect after market race suppliers like Comp Cam break in lube, etc. I will add this each oil change.

Engine fired up instantly with the blower connected, runs like silk, 50+ lbs of oil pressure.

When I disconnect the blower belt, however, sure enough the valve train sounds exactly like a Singer sewing machine, just like many of the comments I've read. That being said: With the heavier weight oil, the ticking DOES sound a wee bit quieter, less harsh. No matter. If things are getting hurt, I don't mind the sound.

I do believe my cam/lifter problems are behind me, now. And, last rebuild time around, my builder installed less aggressive, single valve springs for my mild street application.

Soon I will definitely check pushrod spin, but not today. I've seen enough of the inside of this motor for this week, however. And diff cam profile will also have to wait until I'm on .... solid ground (ha ha, get it?

Thanks again.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.