Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - New hydraulic lifters
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 01:03 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docpsycho View Post
Thanx All, I will just disassemble these and clean them with Crocus Cloth unless one of you has a new set to trade me, Ha ha..
No crocus cloth needed.

If you take them apart, just clean them using a totally lint/dust/grit free cloth and work area. Lifters have the tightest tolerances in the entire engine, no place for anything that could get between the lifter plunger and the body.

There's a section on taking a lifter apart and reassembling it here. A hydraulic roller lifter is shown, but the concept is the same regardless if flat tappet or roller.

Only take ONE lifter apart at a time, the plunger is matched to the body, so you do not want to mix the parts between different lifters.

Once apart, inspect and clean. Once clean, a dab of motor oil applied to the plunger is all that's needed before reassembling the lifter. Use a wooden dowel or a pushrod to depress the pushrod cup to reassemble the clip that holds the lifter together.

BTW, I have never received a new set of lifters that were full of anything. If these are full of motor oil I would say they've been previously installed. If the foot of the lifter shows ANY wear pattern, don't use them- they're returns from someone else.

That said, I HAVE had lifters that were balky at being depressed. Have you used a little more than light pressure to depress the pushrod cup? Sometimes the mineral spirits or whatever it is they assemble the lifters with can dry up and cause the plunger to stick. If this is the case, a little more pressure or a tap on the p-rod seat using a wooden dowel and a mallet will free it up. If that doesn't free it up they need to come apart to find out what's up.

Last edited by cobalt327; 01-30-2013 at 01:32 AM.