Hot Rod Forum banner

New Intake Manifold/Carb now sputters

4K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  snakebit68 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I have a 72 Chevelle with a 383 Stroker. I just put on a new Holly Double Pumper, 650 CFM with a Air gap dual plane edelbrock intake manifold.
Runs great, but when I punch the throttle, it sputters and then kicks in, if Im at a stop, I punch the gas and sputters and nearly dies. But then catches and takes off. Any Ideas? Did I not tune it properly?
Timing is set at 12 degrees advance.

Next issue is that the motor under heats. Before the swap, it ran at around 190 degrees. Now it runs at 100-120. If I stop, it heats up to around 190, but then when I get going again, the temp rapidly drops back to 100-120...

Bad thermostat?

Any suggestions/troubleshooting is helpful.

Thanks,
Mike

#6 ·
I primarily changed it out because I didnt like the way that the carb was running. Wasnt happy with the product, and it was borrowed. (had to give it back)
As for the manifold, It had two spots for a EGR valve, so it needed two blocker plates. I could also tell that it was restricting the hell out of the motor.
And I did specify that it was in a chevelle. (i double checked)

Once I put everything on, it ran great. I reused the thermostat, prolly a bad idea, but it didnt give me any issues prior to the swap.....

#8 · (Edited)
Ok Ill start from the top just so I dont forget anything:

-1972 Chevelle Malibu
-350 block, bored .80 over with a stroker kit.
-Stock heads
-Long tube headers
-Flow master exhaust
-Cam is a mild RV cam. Im not sure of the duration. Very mild though, just above stock.
-Air Gap Edelbrock Intake Manifold
-Holly 650 DP Carb
-Turbo 400
-Stock Differential
-Floor Shifter
-HEI Ignition

If I remember correctly, the total advance is between 32-36. Ill have to double check tomorrow.

I think thats it as far as performance mods are concerned.

Let me know if you need any additional info.

Mike

#9 ·
I would change thermostat first to eliminate that as a problem. I have read a lot of post with the same problem of hesitation when using the Edelbrock RPM AIR GAP. It is not a good intake to use in cold weather so with the temperature running so cold that is probably the problem. If you can get the temperature up to 190-195 it will probably run better. Experiment with the timing try setting the initial at 16-18 degrees. You will have to limit the mechanical advance to 18-20 degees. What are your camshaft specs? What distributor are you using? Read this Wiki article on setting your HEI and timing. Also there is a section in the article on adjusting the transfer slot on Holley carburetors. Increase the initial timing and close the front throttle plates. http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Hot_rodding_the_HEI_distributor. BTW you will need a timing light with advance.

#11 ·
Your right the air gaps start to frost in the plenum and carb venturies about 40 degrees! In Michigan it even freezes the throttle shafts on cold days stuck at speed !!!! Not a good thing :pain: Its a warm weather intake there should be a warning on the box when a person goes to buy one LOL
:eek:

Jester

#13 ·
RE:
(The stock gears and stock low stall torque converter is not going to be very friendly to getting crisp throttle response with a double pumper carb. Just too much throttle, too fast.
Recurving the distributor advance curve will help. More initial at idle always helps throttle responce.)

please explain this? a 650 DP is extremely responsive,even on a 283 with 3.08 gears?

#17 · (Edited)
I would say since you just changed the intake and carb the problem lies there not the thermo stat. I bet you need to check your accelerator pump linkage and make sure that gas starts squirting the instant the throttle blades open. sounds like its getting air from the blades opening and then following an instant late with fuel. make sure both promary and secondary blades are set equally and keep them that way. only ajusting both equaly if need be. the transistion slots should only just barely show under the carb below the throttle blades. your pump linkage should have a small amount left in it at full throttle so you dont prematurely wear out the plunger or pump. but it should also be set like .020 from actually squirting gas out. lol like the linkage should be just barely touching the pump arm and you can look down the carb when you apply throttle by hand and make sure that gas and air comes on together. also start with the fuel air screws 1-11/2 turns out and adjust from there with a vacuum guage getting the highest vacuum reading you can and the fuell mixture screws equally turned. what power valve do you have compared to vacuum reading? hang in there bud you got this. also are you running a fuel pressure regulator? and your floats are set right?:welcome: Ive read double pumpers prefer single planes but ive seen all kinds of combos work and work good so that shouldnt be the problem. Have you tried a spacer? I just swapped from a open spacer to a 4 hole and I can definitely feel the better low end response. Although I have a single plane so maybe an open would give you more plenum area? idk oh you can also buy a set of colored pump cams and that will change the amount of pump shot sent to the squirters. maybe larger squirters would get fuel there faster too. you have plenty of room to grow before needing a bigger 50 cc pump shot too. Even new out of the box tho the carb should be checked thoroughly and set to spec.

#18 ·
Ok, well.....Feel kind of dumb. But have no problem admitting my faults...
I put the thermostat in backwards....Yup....sure did. I was on such a hurry because I was on limited time. So, that problem is fixed. That's my karma for not putting a new one while I was doing the swap.
As far as the sputtering, I adjusted the ratio screws. The process i used was basically set them all the way lean, then turning them 1-1/2 turns to rich. I test drove it and it much better. However I need to see what the total timing is and adjust more from there.
Ill update the page when I am able tomorrow.
Oh yea and by the way I still feel dumb about the thermostat. But whatever.

Thanks for all the replies.

Mike

#21 ·
dub, The best way to adjust your carburetor is with a vacuum gauge. Just hook up the vacuum gauge to a manifold vacuum source. Then adjust your idle mixture screws out until you have the highest reading. With the RV cam start out with about 12* initial and 24* mechanical (distributor weights). If it is a stock GM distributor untouched it will probably add 25* that will be fine. Total will be something like 37*. Don't add no more than 10-12* vacuum advance. Crane has an adjustable vacuum advance can kit, Crane Vacuum Advance Kits 99600-1 - SummitRacing.com that will fit the GM HEI. This also includes an advance curve kit to bring the mechanical advance all in by 3000 rpms.

#22 ·
carb and intake

Yes, change out the thermostat first to eliminate that as a cause. I would also advise you to run a simple check for any vacuum leaks around the manifold and carb with a can of carb cleaner. Just to eliminate a vacuum leak as a possible cause. Then I would look more deeply into the adjustments on the carb, specifically the secondaries. It may be dumping way too much fuel initially causing a hiccup before the engine can catch up with the fuel flow. A recurve kit on your advance will probably help as well. Just a thought, with a stock convertor you may not be building enough RPM's directly off idle acceleration to allow a complete burn of the fuel entering the chambers. Good luck

#23 ·
You can disconnect the actuating arm to the secondary linkage And drive on the primary and see if the bog is still there! if it is take care of the primary bog before hooking up the secondary's! Then hook up the arm and test the secondary's! Unless your carb literate Its the easier way for a novice on carbs to start!

Jester

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.