Hot Rod Forum banner

new "Introduce Yourself" forum?

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  bullheimer 
#1 ·
We've been tossing this one around in the Moderator forum, I thought I would post it here in the Lounge and see what people think.

I'm sure you guys have noticed the recent increase in new member signups. I just counted 8 "first post" threads on the first page of the Lounge. The new intro threads are now hovering around 20-30% of Lounge threads. This seems to be largely due to the new forum home page setup. Turns out a "window-display" type of home page is very inviting to new users.

Anytime a certain type of thread takes up a significant amount of the threads in a forum, it's time to consider a new forum for those threads. I've been considering a new "Introduce Yourself" forum. BBB suggested that we do this as a sub-forum of the Lounge, meaning that it would be classified under the Lounge, and a link to the "Introduce Yourself" forum would appear in the Lounge.

ADVANTAGES:
--new user mistakes (such as posting in ALL CAPS), and new user questions (How do I get a custom avatar?), are all contained to one forum. We can even add some basic sticky posts to the intro forum, such as "Please don't post in ALL CAPS", and "Here's how to get a custom picture under your name".

--it's even more encouraging for new users to make that first post, when they see that we have designated a specific forum for that purpose. Clearly, they are welcome here.

DISADVANTAGES
--any intro posts made in the Lounge, or in the Introduction to Hotrodding forum, will have to be moved to the new "Introduce Yourself" forum. Small maintenance overhead for mods.

--we will probably have to rename the Introduction to Hotrodding forum. It's too close in name to an "Introduce Yourself" forum, and would cause confusion. One or the other would have to be renamed. "Basic Hotrodding" "Beginning Hotrodding", something like that, etc. -- I'm open to suggestions.

--everyone hangs out in the Lounge; when someone introduces themselves in there, they generally get a warm welcome, as many people see the thread. This may not be so in a designated "Introduce Yourself" forum. Would our normal members regularly check in to the new "Introduce Yourself" forum to meet and greet the newbies?

BTW, this new guy is a "welcome" avatar. Like this:

"Welcome to the Hotrodders Bulletin Board :welcome: "

(yes, I know it's cheesy -- but it works)

See less See more
#3 ·
Who else is bored with enough free time (other than me and a few others) to 'wander' into a thread like that to actually welcome them though?

I check Kevin's ATTENTION NEWBIES thread in the lounge every few months to see who's new, but that's about it. So my question is, how welcome are newbies going to feel if they are only greeted by more newbies?

Good idea though.

MoocH

#4 ·
I've been noticing some of our regular members making the rounds to say hello in the newbie threads. Besides just being polite, it is a good way to sniff out the new members, see who's working on projects similar to yours, etc. If this drops off significantly from segregating those newbie threads into a separate forum, then it is a concern.

#6 ·
I like it. There has been a lot of new user posting going around lately and now that we are pushing 20,000 members it would be cool to get to know everyone thats new.

How about not let anyone with less than 20 posts post in there so that the older members have a chance to sort out the rules. It might not be a good idea, but I'm just throwin' ideas around here.

You should also put the forum rules and have a tip section that tells newbies how to ask question and other stuff.

Sounds good.

Alex

#8 ·
When someone signs up is it possible for that to go directly to the new introduction page? Then after they have introduced themselves they are free to post anywhere on the site. If thats possible then their first post won't be in the Lounge. Just a thought.

Norm.

#10 ·
I think the new forum would work. I remember a lot of these posts were submitted in the lounge until the beginners forum commenced. Now they have returned since the new home page setup.

Most of the rules are written already and cut and paste always great.

Just would have to make a point to click on and welcome new folks.

Dutch:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.