New to this, just looking for advice and knowledge - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2010, 01:48 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

New to this, just looking for advice and knowledge

Ok, i'm clueless when it comes to transmissions and rear-ends. I'm looking for something to put into a Nova that could handle 500HP. I'm in the process of getting the car ready before I get a crate engine and trying to learn as much as I can in the process. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. I've got a TH350 Tranny and have no idea about anything to do with the rear-end. I was thinking about going with a 700R4

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2010, 02:28 AM

I don't know. With that kind of Horsepower you might want to step up to a t-56.
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...ion/index.html
Old 02-11-2010, 06:01 AM
High Performance Rear Ends

Last photo:

Your '74 Nova will have the 8.5 10 bolt rear end. This rear end can be built to handle 500 HP. You need a 30 spline Eaton Posi and a set of 30 spline Moser axles. If you plan on putting slicks on it then you need to weld the axle tubes. http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showth...ing+axle+tubes Read this. A good rebuild with quality parts and correct set up will make it strong enough.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:47 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welby74Nova
I've got a TH350 Tranny and have no idea about anything to do with the rear-end. I was thinking about going with a 700R4
A TH700R4 or TH2004R can be made to handle 500HP. But it'll cost you accordingly.

A TH400 would be the least expensive way to go, but no OD. There are Gear Vendor OD add-on units, also expensive. I'd pass on a TH350. It can be made to handle 500 HP, but would cost more than doing a TH400.

You didn't mention torque converters, but that will be a vital part of the equation when you get that far.

Besides the 8.5" diff you now have, there are several manufacturers that have 12-bolt diffs (OEM 12-bolt units are going to be awfully high, and hard to find for no superiority in strength), Ford 9" and even Dana 60-type diffs/housings available. Again, for a price.

The advice to use the 8.5 "corporate" rear end is sound. The weak points can be corrected and the diff will then be good to go @ 500HP.

Hooking that 500HP to the pavement is another thing- Nova's aren't known for having large wheelwells out back, so plan on rolling the inner lip back and possibly doing more 'surgery' as needed.

A lot of guys will just bite the bullet and install mini tubs and relocate the shocks and/or springs to provide the room for some serious meat.

There are a lot of aftermarket parts for helping the Nova hook- you'll get more acquainted w/them as you move forward.

Depending on how much time and effort you want to put into the back half for traction, you could get by w/less- but careful measurement of the rear wheel offset/backspacing will be necessary in order to fit as much tire as you safely can.

195/75-14 was standard, I believe. About the biggest rear tire that will fit w/o cutting is 275/60-15 on 15x8 wheels with 4.5" of backspacing. These were Rally wheels, and will barely rub under some conditions.

But all sorts of things can alter this, including worn or sagging springs mostly- but also body mounts- actually ANY worn rubber suspension components for that matter, collision damage/repair, modifications, etc.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.