(new)kinda sbc won't fire cranks slowly Monte Carlo - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2013, 09:27 PM
two cups of tea

Last wiki edit: Need more horsepower for my 305 Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

(new)kinda sbc won't fire cranks slowly Monte Carlo

Ok so not having a good day,ok a fast background Monte Carlo g-body had a 355 professionally built by a local speed shop about 3 year ago.11:1 compression &the old sbc starter didn't want to crank it when I first got it so I got a mini high torque starter from the builder would start with no problems but you could only crank it once or twice & then wait as a few minutes to crank if you needed to try again.Well sat for 3 years very few miles on build,last 6 months or so its sat outside under a tarp.
Today I through in a new battery cleaned the ground that runs from the battery to the radiator support&would go to crank &it would turn over but very slowly like the battery wad dead.I had ran the old gas out before.So I was pouring fuel in it through the carb &a shot of staring fluid nada.
Now here's what really worries me.the fender is off & #2&#4 spark plugs are easy to access when I pull #2 there was little green specs.I would clean off&try to fire again&they would be back on.Now I had green crap in my fuel filter before from running it low,a fella dented it really bad its the tank liner cut I believe.I'm hoping this isn't vegetation but this is some really green stuff &everything outside is brown yellow&red foliage wise.
I tryd some marvins mystery oil still cranks really slow. One other thing lights come on but the ground that comes off by the wiring harness & ac is unhooked but I don't see that being a problem.However it does have an electronic ignition.So could that be my issue?I couldn't check for spark because I didn't have a helper.Only electric came on was floorlight ,&exterior lights no heater,no radio etc .This is freaking me out. Please excuse any typos or terseness: this email was sent from my mobile and I have clumsy fingers.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2013, 10:32 PM
two cups of tea

Old 11-10-2013, 12:01 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My guess is that the green stuff would be coolant. Maybe check all the spark plugs? Never heard of fuel turning green or anything but I am sure someone with more knowledge will chime in soon.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:51 AM
two cups of tea

Ok so I couldn't get this off of my mind,so I went back out hooked all grounds back up to how they use to be,saw from the front of the block to the chassis the big fat ground has surface rust around em,Cranked still cracking slow then it Will stop till you give it a few but if I recall correctly the mini ht starter did that before.Finally got a hand & I have no spark.Now this is gonna suck wiring is my downfall & it's hard to tell what's going on in there.The p.o. who built the first motor hid away a huge stash of wiring he cut off under the fender so there's a bunch of crap here&there.I have no idea where to start ,it had spark before I took front pass fender,grill &bumper cover off
Old 11-10-2013, 02:22 AM
two cups of tea

Ok so after calming down from freaking out I'm wondering if maybe from sitting outside the dizzy coulda been ruined by the elements,it has a fiberglass cowl hood I kept inside.Since all of the front was off besides 1 fender there wasn't a way to keep it on there.So I'm guessing I need to check for 12 volts @ the dizzy if so can someone refresh my memory on what parts of contact to do this?Then check for cracks in the cap& such.The timing really needed to be adjusted after the motor was built.I won't lie & say I know how to my old man just would retarded or advance dizzy by ear & I had a fella sitting in engine bay as I drove adjusting it.
I really feel so horrible about this car sitting when I first got it years ago I really dug into it.I would love for guys to get on the side of me like they wanted to race in there ****** mobiles & Id hit the gas & wave by.And loved going topless no hood all the chrome in the engine & people making compliments.I let this car down & I don't wanna be that guy that ruins a good thing tonight I apologized to her & promised I would make her better & never leave her again.I told her how thru new motor pushed off the tranny getting replaced then the kids came,I think she understands when I got in here tonite I forgot about all of the bikes I'm building..just want my girl to get better

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.