Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - New Member - 1st Post - New to Hotrodding - 1st Hotrod
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2005, 09:31 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rust - Killer

Hi,

That's gonna be a nice car some day.
I still have a clear recollection of nearly being humiliated by a car just like that one...

I had a 68 Mercury LeMoyne (land yacht) with a 390 4-bbl, that would lay about a 1/2 block of rubber ... tons of torque ... or so I thought.
(I was a real Ford fan in those days ... but I'm much better now! )

My little brother's friend pulls up with a grin on his face, and wants to race me with his 6-banger 68 Camaro. Yeah, right... OK.

Imagine my shock when he starts pulling away! He really had me until I got that old boat rolling, but I finally did get by him at around the 55 or 60 MPH mark (Whew! )

I learned a whole lot about power to weight ratios in a very short time!

Don

PS ... Get some rust-killer and put it on those bubbled areas ASAP. Permatex and Plastikote both make some for sure, and there are several others (i.e. "Rust - Mort")
These chemicals react with the rust and turn into a black sandable / primable / paintable compound. Primer alone is not enough to prevent rust ... top it with some spray enamel, even if it doesn't match the color exactly.

Last edited by 66GMC; 06-22-2005 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Alzheimers!!!