New Member - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2014, 07:04 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Hi folks:

I'm the proud owner of a 1954 Chevy AD 1/2 ton pickup. It's had an amateur but competent restoration and I'd like to beef it up a little in order to tow a small (20' or less) travel trailer. I'm considering an engine swap from the stock 235 to a 292, but I've been told by Langdon's that it will be a difficult swap. He didn't go into detail. So I'll ask you all: ****************** Thanks!

Advertisement

Last edited by poncho62; 08-05-2014 at 05:30 AM. Reason: duplicate question in engine forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2014, 09:06 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,117 Posts
WELCOME! Sounds like a cool project. On your trailer, look for one of these....

I just sold a trailer like this yesterday, really, yesterday, a "Boler" made in 1977. This is THE trailer you want it's less than a thousand pounds empty they are also found under the name Scamp and a few others, but they are AWESOME! No water leaks, no rot, they are SOOOOO much better than the wood framed aluminum sheet covered ones, SOOOOOO much better.

Brian
Old 08-08-2014, 01:40 PM

Brian, thanks for the reply and encouragement, oh, and that photo as well. I can easily put my truck and trailer in that scene. Yes, I have seen such trailers before under the name of Scout. I appreciate the recommendation. Is that a 1960 model Chevy wagon pulling your Scout? Love the color combo!
Old 08-08-2014, 03:25 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

There are many, many molded fiberglass trailers, ranging in size from a 12 footer, a 13 footer (like Brian's) on up to a 28 footer (the Bigfoot Silver Cloud)

Makes include:
Amerigo
Aalite
Beachcomber
Biggar
Bigfoot
BIOD
Boler
Burro
Cadet
Captain
Casita
Cloud
Compact
Companion
Dolphin
Eagle
Eco
EggCamper
The Egg
Escape
Fiber Stream
Genesis
Geographic
Gypsy
Havasu
Hunter I
Lander 401
Liberty
Lil Snoozy
Lite House
Little Joe
Love Bug
Minit
Miti-Lite
MKPGrandesse
Northern Lite
Oliver
Oxygen
Parkliner
Perris Pacer
Play-Mor II
Play�Pac
Quantum
Scamp
Suntrek
Surfside
Tote �n Tarry
Trail Mite
Trails West
Campster
Trailorboat
Trillium
U�Haul
UNIK
Ventura and
Willerby

I suspect that there are others as well
Old 08-10-2014, 12:12 AM

Last photo:

You can put the 292 in the truck or go with a small block Chevy. Do you have the engine lined up for purchase or just thinking about it? One thing I found when I was a kid working on the older (current at the time) Chevy vehicles, You can install a later model engine without difficulties but not an older one.
Can't remember for sure, does the truck have an enclosed drive shaft or open? I am thinking it has an enclosed one. As far as being difficult... you are only limited by your ability.

Chevy and General Motors used the Chevy 292 engine in their pickup trucks from 1963 to 1990, with production shifting from the United States to Mexico after 1984. The 292 was a six-cylinder, inline engine that was not interchangeable with the smaller block 6 cylinder engines. The Chevy 292 was known for being powerful, durable and reliable.

A bit about the History:
Chevy began manufacturing six-cylinder engines in 1929, with the first line producing a maximum of 50 horsepower. Chevy continued to revise and improve its six-cylinder engines over the years and began using the 292, the most powerful of its six-cylinder engines, in pickup trucks in 1963. While the configuration of the 292 was similar in many ways to the smaller Chevy six-cylinder engines that went before it, there were significant differences that made it incompatible with the smaller engines. For instance, the 292 fuel pump was on the opposite side of the engine from where it was found on the other six-cylinder Chevy engines.

Configuration:
The cylinders of the Chevy 292 engines were numbered from the front of the engine to the rear, with the first cylinder always being the forward one. The firing order was 1-5-3-6-2-4. The engine came with seven main bearings, and the configuration included hydraulic valve lifters and hollow push rods to move individually mounted rocker arms that pivoted on ball seats. The distributor shaft drove a gear-type oil pump that provided full-pressure lubrication for the engine. The main oil gallery traveled along the lifter area, passed through passages to the cams and main bearings and then went through lifters and push rods to the rocker arms.

Performance:
The Chevy 292 was an inline, six-cylinder engine with a bore and stroke of 3.875 inches by 4.125 inches and a compression ratio of 8.0-to-1. It achieved a maximum 165 gross-horsepower at 3,800 rpm and netted 147 horsepower at 3,600 rpm. It reached its maximum gross torque of 280 pound-feet at 1,600 rpm and netted 262 pound-feet of torque at 2,000 rpm.

Now, with that being said, the 235 bell housing will not bolt up to the 292. In 1955, they went to a different engine mount, bell housings and open drive shafts.

For my own preference (which means nothing in your case) I would go with a small block Chevy engine. The exchange would probably be easier.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbob View Post
Hi folks:

I'm the proud owner of a 1954 Chevy AD 1/2 ton pickup. It's had an amateur but competent restoration and I'd like to beef it up a little in order to tow a small (20' or less) travel trailer. I'm considering an engine swap from the stock 235 to a 292, but I've been told by Langdon's that it will be a difficult swap. He didn't go into detail. So I'll ask you all: ****************** Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.