New Member Introduction - 48 Chevy Rodder - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2001, 03:04 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post New Member Introduction - 48 Chevy Rodder

Hi all,
Just found this place, and would like to join the party.
I am a member of two other auto "forums" and the one is not getting the input I would like it to. I am a young rodder who is old enough to know two things,
1. The more I learn, the less I know.
2. I can't learn anything new if I'm doing the all talking.
So in searching for a better www-cruz spot, I found your gang.
I will introduce myself here,(didn't see a new member introduction area) and then talk about the project(s).
I am 27 years old. Just toasted to my second wedding anniversary in August to Mrs. 48 Chevy Rodder. And for now a two bay garage is just fine, as we don't have any young rodders.
I was born, raised, (for the most part, spent a little time in AZ. NM, KY as a kid), and live in Columbus, Ohio. You "GOODGUYS" out there would know my home town as your destination for the GOODGUYS PPG NATIONALS.
The 5th one is set for 7/12-14/02, and I can't wait. Columbus doesn't look any better than when the GG's are cruising up and down the streets of our city. IT IS AWESOME. We also used to be the home of the NSRA Nationals, with the last taking place in 1996, before they moved south of the river. Thanks to the GoodGuys, we still can enjoy a great event at home. (Check out the latest GoodGuys Gazette, and read the nice words they have to say about Columbus that is giving me a big head. ) Me and my family can't wait for this week.
Speaking of my family, I am the oldest of three boys,(no girls) and my father taught all three of us everything we know about cars. THANKS DAD!

Now, about the car(s). Well, when I was in 8th gade, Dad got me a 1976 Camaro. 6cyl auto, red faded paint, cracks in the dash, worn carpet, and torn seats hidden by a seat cover that was the low hanging headliner. The rear "frame" was rusted, and needed new tires. I LOVED IT! I was 15, of course I loved it. It was perfect.

Anyway, later that summer, after realizing I didn't have a job to buy what it needed, I gave it back to Dad so we could build a Dirt Track Street Stock out of it. Well we knocked the glass out, gutted the hood, deck lid, and door skins, and pulled out the interior, and went looking for a roll cage. We didn't have a welder or welding experience, (that has since been fixed)so our best bet was to buy one. Well we found a cage. It was free when we bought the car it was in. So we built that one (77 Malibu) and ended up junking the Camaro. Took all the good stuff down to Dave's Camaros.

Anyway, raced the "Spade 9" as it was numbered, about 9 times over 3 years, did pretty good. Lot of work for only 9 races, but the nearest dirt track was 90 miles away, and it wan't any shorter getting back neither. There was a paved track 30 miles down the road, but we grew up believing "dirt is for racing, asphalts for gettin ya there." It was a dream of my Dad's to always give it a try since he was a boy. We had a blast.
My Dad grew up in Stockbridge,MA, a few miles from Lebanon Valley Speedway, www.lebanonvalley.com in West Lebanon, NY. He'd mention THAT before he'd tell ya Norman Rockwell called Stockbridge home.

Well after 9 races, the Doctor told Dad he had to give it up and that he would need a new kidney. He sold the racecar, got a new kidney, and is better than ever.

Before the transplant, on the way to his doctor visit, he came across a brown primer 1950 Chevy 3100 Pickup. When I ride with my dad, he says, "Always take the back roads, ya never know what you're gonna find." Well, he slowed, and then continued on to the doctor. On the way back, he slowed again, and thought to himself, "I better not stop. If I stop, I'll end up coming home with that thing, and where am I gonna put it?"

This folks is mine and my brothers fault. In addition to Dad's Nissan Pickup that he drove every day, I had a mayan red 1978 Trans Am that needed work parked behind my gray primer 1968 Cutlass that I drove, that was parked next to my brother's gray primer 1980 Blazer that we named "Grunt" cause that's the noise it's passengers would make as they tried to climb into that monster. And the Grunt was parked in front of my youngest brother's 1978 Regal. So yeah. "Where would he put that thing?"

The next trip to the doctor, he left a little early so he could stop and check it out. It was solid, and complete. He talked to the guy and got a price and then headed to the doctor. On the way home, he drove by and this time thought to himself, "Man I better stop and get that thing before someone else does." Well, he found room for it, and that is his project.
Since then, the Grunt is gone, the 68 Cutlass is gone, and so is the Trans Am along with the Regal. This made room for Dad's 1950 Chevrolet 3100 Pickup (from TX), my brother's 1949 Chevrolet Woodie (Steelie)Wagon (from TN), wood inside, steel painted to look like wood on the outside, and my 1948 Chevrolet Fleetline Aerosedan(from NY).
The Wagon is in the home garage right now, (the rest are in storage), and getting put back together. My brother was trying to get it done before he moved to Hawaii, but didn't have enough time. We all worked on it, but now Dad and I get to finish the rest.

The 1949 Chevrolet Woodie Wagon Project.
Replaced original front with Complete Mustang II Kit from Stree Rod Engineering. Disk brakes w/ 10.5 inch rotors, includes new Rack/Pinion from Flaming River.
Replaced original engine(it ran to, drove it around a little before we started work) with a 20k Straight 6 out of a donor Chevelle(NY), rear axle from a 79 Monte Carlo (junkyard), new glass, rubber, sound/heat insulation (fabricated), replaced wood panels inside,
(fabricated), new paint/primer (PPG Inds.)
I will post pics and give better details of the Woodie Project in a future post.

Anyway, we have to finish this up first. And then after Dad rods his 50 pickup, I hope I can squeeze my Aerosedan in there before Dad starts on his 1936 Ford.
Oh yeah, I new I was forgetting something.
-48 Chevy Rodder

[ October 20, 2001: Message edited by: 48 Chevy Rodder ]

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.