New Member Introduction - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2005, 08:38 AM
Car Obsessed

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

New Member Introduction

I just stumbled across the site by chance earlier this morning, and have signed on to be a member. I guess it's only proper that I introduce myself, as suggested by the moderator's sticky for newbies (see, I am already on the right path as far as site etiquette! )

My name is Dave, and I am located in Amherst, MA. There is not that much of an old car following here, and the hobby is unfortunately a solitary one for me. My one good car buddy got stationed in Hawaii a couple years ago, and is now heading off to Iraq.

Anyway, my first car ever, back in high school, was a '77 Ford Granada that my parents bought from my grandmother for $1. It only had 30,000 miles on it, and had a 302. My older brother got me into reading the Auto Trader at a young age, and that probably solidified my interest in old cars. Well, that and growing up on the Dukes Of Hazaard, Smokey and the Bandit, and the Rockford Files. While looking through all the Auto Traders, I developed a real affinity for Mustangs. Then, my brother bought a '69 GTO! That's when my interest turned to Pontiacs. After a number of years, my brother no longer wanted the GTO, and I convinced him to sell it to me during my senior year in high school. Cruising that car to school every day was awesome! I sold the Granada and bought my '77 GP with a 455 in my freshmen year of college. My current stable consists of the GTO, the GP, a '74 Jaguar XJ6 with Chevy 350, a '78 Mercury Monarch with less than 30,000 miles, and a '78 Grand Lemans that I am refreshing to use as a daily driver. I have too many cars for my limited budget, but I guess when you have an obsession, that is what happens.

I have pretty archaic working conditions, but not as bads as some of what I saw in the few threads on garages that I read here this morning. For example, I am at least not in a tent in Alaska! (props to you guys up there who are building race cars in a tent while I whine about only having an old barn to work in). As for my abilities, I don't know how to describe them exactly, though I feel pretty deficient. I bought a Mig welder, but have not yet learned how to use it. That means that I have not yet learned bodywork/rust repair, which is unfortunate because I would really like to be able to make patch panels and fix rust and paint cars and all that. Being in the Northeast, that is sort of a necessary skill. I do most mechanical repairs on my cars, but they often take longer than they probably should, involve skinned knuckles and lots of swearing. I've rebuilt a few engines, and they are still running strong, so I guess that is a good sign.

I'm a teacher, so I have summers off, which is great for the hobby. In fact, with this year's schedule, I'm off from June 8 to early September!

I mentioned above that I am a Pontiac guy, but in all honesty I love old cars in general. There are cars from all the major auto makers that I'd love to own. And, although my knowledge and experience base deals more with the mid 60's up, I love the looks of the older cars, too. Heck, John Milner is a hero of mine, and having a car like his would be totally sweet, although my impression is that with cars that old, you need more skill and money than what I have to get them into driver condition.

Ok, perhaps I should wrap this up. If you fell asleep somewhere above, I understand. If not, then thanks for taking the time to read this. I look forward to being a part of the community and getting to know you all.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2005, 08:58 AM

Last photo:

Welcome aboard , great intro.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:59 AM

Last photo:

Hello and welcome. Have a happy memorial day and thanks for fighting for freedom and helping keep our families safe. I went to tech school for autobody and it is a usefull skill to have. You might want to check into a vocational school if you want to learn more. Some are affordable and you have access to the tools needed and a paint booth. I wouldn't say I would recommend it as a career the way things are, but fun for a hobby. Most of it isn't that hard, but some have more natural talent then others. It all just takes a lot of practice and you have to have a lot of patience. Granadas can actually look pretty good fixed up. A kid back in highschool had one I remember, a nice black cherry color with nice rims.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:03 AM

Last photo:

Oops, thought you said you were in the military at first. Thank your friend for fighting for his country.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:45 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Welcome from another Pontiac guy.............................

Actually, your post should have gone in the "Introduce Yourself" forum......I am going to move it there, with a redirect, so you can find it.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:44 PM
Car Obsessed

Last photo:

Whoops, sorry about that, Poncho62

Thanks for the welcome!
Old 05-30-2005, 07:49 AM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last journal entry: Running boards (part DUEX)
Last photo:

Well you've come to the right place. I've learned a lot here and still am. You may find rodders on here nearby you that can even give you a hand. This is my first rod since I was a kid and I'm now doing patch panels, cutting frames, welding albeit very badly and body work painting etc. It's a great place to be when your not out in the garage/barn/carport/tent/ backyard.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.