Hot Rod Forum banner

New member introduction/paint question

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Imagery 
#1 ·
My name is Mark and I am currently painting another project, 1985 Porsche 944 and I am using all HOK products. I just had a quick question while at the first primer stage. I have taken the OEM finish down to bare metal and done the minimal amount of body work and now have applied two full coats of the KP2CF Chromate Free Kwikure Epoxy primer. After I finish my sanding, dry then wet with guide coat, I will apply KS KO-SEAL II Primer Sealer. My question is simple but just wanted to see what the correct procedure is when sanding the KP2CF there are some places where the edge has sanded through exposing bare metal. I know the tech manual states that if you sand through to any body filler, you must recoat that area again with the KP2CF but what about edges exposing bare metal? I ask this because the KO-SEAL II says must not be applied over bare metal of any kind. SO should I recoat those areas again with KP2CF or could I just use an etching primer on those small areas and then go ahead and spray the KO-SEAL II over that?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
You are right... I called HOK a while ago and they said to just over reduce the KP2FC and lightly cover all the burn through areas and then scuff and then should be ready for sealer. I still have some small areas where it looks like spot welds or something so I need to fill those and I will have to grind them down to metal. The KP2FC might actually take care of them but I would have to sand it almost all the way down and do a second application. If I can keep most of the masking in tack during that process then it won't be that big of a deal but to re-mask everything is what takes so long. Either way, I am going to have to mix up more KP2FC. I just had to hurry up yesterday and get the whole car primed because it was sitting in bare metal and was beginning to see signs of flash rust appear. I keep the car in the garage and try to keep it air conditioned most of the time but hate to do sanding in there so I open the door and bring the car outside. Now I am at least at a point where I can manage that aspect better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.