New member introduction/paint question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2010, 09:56 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

New member introduction/paint question

My name is Mark and I am currently painting another project, 1985 Porsche 944 and I am using all HOK products. I just had a quick question while at the first primer stage. I have taken the OEM finish down to bare metal and done the minimal amount of body work and now have applied two full coats of the KP2CF Chromate Free Kwikure Epoxy primer. After I finish my sanding, dry then wet with guide coat, I will apply KS KO-SEAL II Primer Sealer. My question is simple but just wanted to see what the correct procedure is when sanding the KP2CF there are some places where the edge has sanded through exposing bare metal. I know the tech manual states that if you sand through to any body filler, you must recoat that area again with the KP2CF but what about edges exposing bare metal? I ask this because the KO-SEAL II says must not be applied over bare metal of any kind. SO should I recoat those areas again with KP2CF or could I just use an etching primer on those small areas and then go ahead and spray the KO-SEAL II over that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	46551   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-2.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	46552   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-3.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	46553   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	46554  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2010, 12:31 PM

Last journal entry: Box is back on the truck
Last photo:

I am not familiar with the products you are using but you will have the kp2cf in your gun so use that on any bare metal, no need to use another product.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:55 PM
Official Solventologist

You must recoat those bare metal spots with KP2CF. HOK doesn't recommend etch with their system. Since you are sealing I see no reason for two sanding regiments. If it were me I would have just buzzed it down smooth with P400 grit then come back with the sealer.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:06 PM

Last photo:

You are right... I called HOK a while ago and they said to just over reduce the KP2FC and lightly cover all the burn through areas and then scuff and then should be ready for sealer. I still have some small areas where it looks like spot welds or something so I need to fill those and I will have to grind them down to metal. The KP2FC might actually take care of them but I would have to sand it almost all the way down and do a second application. If I can keep most of the masking in tack during that process then it won't be that big of a deal but to re-mask everything is what takes so long. Either way, I am going to have to mix up more KP2FC. I just had to hurry up yesterday and get the whole car primed because it was sitting in bare metal and was beginning to see signs of flash rust appear. I keep the car in the garage and try to keep it air conditioned most of the time but hate to do sanding in there so I open the door and bring the car outside. Now I am at least at a point where I can manage that aspect better.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.