Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - New MIG - unstable arc
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2007, 05:46 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTruckGuy
First it got to be a 20A isolated circuit. Second it sounds like your wire speed is to low. Third did you check the drive roller to see if there set to the wright wire size. four open it up clean it up and there should be a chart to set it for flux or mig.

Craig
I think Graig stated out an excellent point about the circuit itself. You really need to have a good circuit! Even though it's a 20 amp ciruit, their could be a bit of resistance with connections to outlets. A lot of times outlets are just "backwired" in cheapo residential outlets. The backwire methood relies on just a small metal spring clip that makes poor contact. Definately have a dedicated circuit for the welder. I have a 120 volt unit as well. I have it off my compressor line which is 10 gauge. Use commercial grade outlet as well. At work, we have the same MIG as I have at home...since I ordered the work unit (HTP 140). I have found the same at work if I run the welder on a small extention cord or a distant outlet, having the similar problems you stated.