New Mig Welder - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2005, 03:23 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

New Mig Welder

I haven't seen too much said about the HTP line of welders. I was going to go for the Miller 210 until I received the HTP catalog, now I'm tempted to go buy the HTP 200. Any comments???????????????????????

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2005, 05:51 PM

Last photo:

Just my two cents, I have been welding since 1968 and have my own shop today and I would strongly recommend staying with the Miller, Lincoln or Horbart and then there is just no question about the service and dependability. Which ever you choose from the big three you will be getting the top of the line so why compromise?
Old 03-09-2005, 07:54 PM

I just saw a new MATCO unit that allows AMP changes on the fly and with a knob on the handle. That looks pretty sweet, I have trouble with burn through on thin stuff at the edges with this you could turn it down and not burn through.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:10 PM

Last photo:

...I have a Eltec migmaster 250 , think it is now called Esap , works great. Only thing I did to it was add a thermo switch so the fan doesn't run all the time. Would love a spool gun for it but abit too costly for my needs. One thing I remember looking for in a mig was the duty cycle, the higher the better.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:42 AM
Dazed and Confused

Last journal entry: Trunk Part 18
Last photo:

I'm planning on getting the HTP 160 in a couple of months. Their customer service up to this point has been fantastic. The person I've been working with over there has answered all my questions (and then some) and even sent me their training video for free. That lists on their site at $39 clams

I really like the stitch/spot weld functions on the HTP welder. They have the same warranty as Miller or Lincoln and they've got some pretty neat accessories as well.

I think they are a little more pricey than others, but I'm willing to pay that for the extra features. I will admit, I haven't found many independent HTP reviews, however, the one's that I have found, have all been positive.

If you buy one before June, repost here and let me know what you think!!!
Old 03-10-2005, 12:26 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Go to the Body-Exterior Forum and read Centerline's thread on welding.
FAQ#3 Welding body panels in the sticky post's

Lot's of good info.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:20 PM

I have the HTP 140. I really like the welder and as stated above the customer service is great. I dealt with Jeff Noland, who I believe is the president of the company. He has been great. Now I don't use my welder every day, but when I do, it works flawlessly. If you compare the designs of the drive rollers and how they build the "innards", I don't feel you can beat them in comparison. Yes, you do have the issue of not being able to get consumables at your local weld shop, but that just makes you have to be better prepared. Check out the website, I believe it is www.weldusa.com. It is very informative.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:30 PM

Not sure about either of those welders but have a look at the duty cycle
A 20% duty cycle will give you 2 minutes welding out of 10 minutes at full or rated amps before needing to cool down so a 60% duty cycle gives you 6 minutes so it can make a difference
Old 03-11-2005, 09:40 PM

Last photo:

.....just like I mentioned up top , dpsmith is right about the duty cycle.
Old 03-13-2005, 02:58 PM
Mark Goulette

htp welders

i have the htp 200 mig, and will never use any other welder. i've used lincoln, miller, and century, but the htp has worked the best for me. getting ready to get the tig 201 as well. i know jeff, and have gotten nothing but fantastic service and support from him and his company. he cares about his customers, and makes it a point to let them know that. as far as consumables go, you can use lincoln tips. i get mine from home depot whenever i need them. they are the same thread and length as htp's.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:03 AM

dpsmith - you have to compare apples to apples. The HTP is rated at 20% duty cycle at 200 amps and 100% duty cycle at 105 amps. The Miller 210 is rated at 60% duty cycle at full output of 160 amps???? I don't know if that means the Miller 210 is actually only 160 amp welder, or if they rate them differently. I would be more interested at what amperage the Miller gives 100% duty cycle.

Predator - thanks for the info on the tips. What about the nozzles. Hobarts are similar, but don't work.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:52 PM

Toyman: I looked up the duty cycles on the Miller web site and they are as follows. The Miller is rated 130 amps at 100% duty cycle, and 200 amps at 35% duty cycle. After all the comments I got from everybody, Thank You All, I broke down and went for the Miller 210. I ordered it today. I guess my biggest reason is there are two Miller dealers within a couple of miles and the HTP is out of state. I guess I can't go wrong with Miller and it is easier for me to get parts and equipment.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:27 PM
Mark Goulette

nozzles you'll have to get from htp. their guns are their own. mine is still in perfect shape though, so it will be a while before i need another..........
Old 03-15-2005, 06:55 AM

Smsgtdaves - I couldn't get on the Miller site yesterday, that's good information. Congratulations on your new welder, a new toy is a new toy, enjoy.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:31 AM
Old enough to know better

When you compare things like duty cycles, remember the kind of welding you usually do. Duty cycle go up as amps go down. If you do a lot of sheet metal work, it will be lo amps and short periods. You likely won't exceed the limits of a really cheap welder. If you are regularly fabricationg roll cages, duty cycle is more of an issue.. I know I've never encountered a duty-cycle issue in my little 120 volt Lincoln but I don't do heavy sections with it very often.
I don't have an HTP but I've yet to hear any real complaints about them.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.