New motor smoking - Don't know why! - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2010, 08:03 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Nowhere have I ever advocated using a synthetic oil to break in a new engine OR camshaft/lifters. I am just showing what Mobil 1 says. So if anyone has a beef, it's w/Mobil- not me.

As I already said- I use 30W for break in. Fossil oil, not synthetic- as I don't even know if there is a 30W synthetic other than possibly Amsoil, which I don't use anyway.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2010, 08:39 AM
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator

Last wiki edit: Taurus 2-speed fan control wiring diagram Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I have no beef with you Cobalt, that was directed to the poster above who said they are breaking in with Mobil 1 Racing oil.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:52 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

No beef here either, I misunderstood your post. Sorry.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:52 AM

I have read all the interesting discussion and I have a few questions:

1. If I change oil at this stage will that potentially resolve the smoking problem. Or is it too late to just change oil because the intake manifold gaskets may be compromised or the valve seals may be compromised?

2. I have new valve seals and intake manifold gaskets on hand that I can install. If I install them, should I also change oil and use a straight 30W mineral oil? Should I add ZDDP to the oil to protect the cam and lifters?

3. If I simply change oil and use straight 30W mineral oil without replacing any gaskets or seals, is there a chance that the smoking problem could be resolved?

I realize there are many variables in my situation. I'm trying to correct or eliminate as many variables without doing a major teardown. I have to remove the whole front sheet metal assembly to yank the motor if it comes to that, and I'm not too excited about that option.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:02 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I'm not sure what grade of Mobil 1 racing oil he's even using- but the 0W-50 is like $100/6 qts from Mobil (I'm sure it's cheaper elsewhere)- that alone would keep me from using it for break in. I mean, 30 minutes of "run time", then it gets dumped anyway.

And the 0W-50 was specifically mentioned in the Q&A- not any other grade/weight.

A high quality 30W w/added ZDDP is bad enough, let alone just throwing money away.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:41 AM

Last photo:

I would certainly try changing the oil before doing any major work. One of my customers was at WalMart and found SH rated oil in the regular non-syn Mobil. Drive the car normally for a few hundred miles and see if the oil smoke decreases. I have seen some engines, new and old, that have oil consumption issues with syn which I think has to do with oil ring design and oil return holes in the oil ring land.

THe controversy over syn break-in has no clear result. I started using syn on new engines really to save changing the oil on the dyno. I have broke in many engines using Mobil 1 and have no known problems. Richmond gear used to recommend new gears be installed with mineral oil for break-in purposes, then they came out with their own branded oil and it is a syn, and is recommended for break-in.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:38 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Have you checked too rich fuel mixture? I could also just be burning off the assembly lube. How long has it been run for so far?
Old 08-31-2010, 07:14 PM

Here is an update on the smokin' problem. It still is smokin'! I have replaced the intake manifold gaskets and the valve seals. I also want to set the record straight. I am using Valvoline Racing Oil for break-in and it is NOT a synthetic oil. I will be changing it this weekend and going to a more standard oil, but I intend to stay with the mineral oil a while longer, that is until I figure out what is causing the smoking problem. I have resolved that my next step is to remove the heads, so I'm going to wait until the cruising season is over before I tackle that work. In the meantime, I'll have to tolerate the occasional ill comment and the embarrassing cloud. Not much left to do at this point. At least it is running smooth and the power is not too bad either. At 70 mph, I don't notice the problem at all. One of my buddies said I should not fuss over it because it just means the motor is getting lubed well. There is always a silver lining if you get creative enough in your thinking.

Anyway, thanks for all your advice and input. I didn't really want to give up smokin' anyway!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.