New motor in!! won't start!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2004, 08:46 PM
Luv the smell of burnt RICE

Wiki Edits: 0

New motor in!! won't start!!

well after delaying and avoiding getting my sbc 350 together and in my truck i finaly got it in 2 days ago.. gota new battery yesterday had to charge it.. now today i tried to fire it up for the first time.. well no go.. i dumped gas in the carb.... thinkin it was to much but dam it turned over for a while and still nothin.. i double checked my wires.. there all rite! double checked the distributer timing.. TDC thats rite also.. i no for sure i lined up the cam and crank dots.. im stuck.. maybe i should try a voltage check? the motor turns over rather slowly also.. wut else can i check?? almost everything on this motor is new.. so cant be bad parts.. the only thing i noticed after turnin over for a little bit.. which i no is bad for the motor... smoke coming outa the carb... and also the exhuast... if anyone has n e idea wut could be wrong plz help me here.. this motor wasnt cheap to build.. and i'd hate to screw it up now... expecaily after 6 months till gettin it in.. o ya i thought i would mention somethin i did find.. i got accell rotor and cap back when.. and when i set the #1 plug up before droping the distributer i noticed corrision on all the points and rotor.. so i cleaned them up and scrapped off the corrsion.. most of these parts bin sittin for 3 months also.. anyways thanx for n e suggestions

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2004, 08:52 PM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

timing out 180* degrees? is the Hot wire connected up to the distrib, is it getting power?

i had probs getting my enigne to start and it was 180 degrees out and i had the wrong wire hooked up to the distrib, it was dead. needed to hook up the hot wire and pull the distrib out and turn the engine over exactly 1 turn and put it back in and it started up.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:55 PM

I you have smoke coming out of the carb, this means you have spark, but not in the right place. Recheck timing and be sure that TDC is measured after the intake valve closes to assure you are not 180 degrees out of synch. If you are 180 out, you usually will get popping and farting out the carb. Also check your advance retard for some major miss calibration of timing.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:14 PM

still no go.. checked timing many times.. its exaclty how u said to do it.. i pulled the air filter off.. and everytime the motor rotates for 2 seconds fuel sprays out the top of the carb.. a good 6 inchs so wut does this mean?? is there a way i can check if the cam is lined up wit the crank without pulled the timing cover off?? just to double check.. pretty sure it is.. cuz valves are both closed when the timing tab says 0* but i built this motor over 6 months period.. so hard to remember everything properly
Old 04-21-2004, 08:18 PM

a good spark

pull a plu and ground it to a ground to see if you have a good spark?? also 18436572???
Jesse I know I know I know you over tightened the lifters
Old 04-21-2004, 10:03 PM
Chief Petty Officer, USN

Last journal entry: My Monte Carlo
Last photo:

Have you checked to see if the valve lash is set right? I have made this mistake before. Got spark, got gas but no go. If the lash isn't right it will spit up through the carb and the exhaust and kinda give you the same symptoms as being 180 out.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:52 AM

I do not know of a way to check cam timing without aligning the index markings or using a degree wheel.

Check to see that you have good compression to discount that you have valves hanging open. But unless this was really out of order, I doubt that it would fail to ignite or run. If you have a good spark, I seriously believe you have an ignition timing problem. This is what most guys do wrong....getting the dots lined up at the cam is pretty hard to screw up without beer.

While you are thinking about this remember that the crank sprocket rotates twice for each time the cam rotates and since the cam drives the ignition, it too rotates half the speed of the crank. so if the distributor is out of phase 180 degrees, you can have it firinging at the top of the exhaust stroke instead of the powerstroke.

You know you can twist that distributor a long way advanced and retarded and if you have spark, you should get some sort of backfire or ignition.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

STARTING

Hold on guys..... he said he has fuel shooting 6" out of the carb.

Thats you problem. You probably have a stuck float. Is it a holley carb????

Stop what you are doing. drain the oil because it is now contaminated with fuel because of flooding it out. Remove the spark plugs and throw them in the trash. Let the plugs out and turn the motor over by hand a few times around,,, to try and get all the fuel out of the cylinders. I would spray some wd-40 into the cylinders because all that fuel has all the oil washed off of them.

Before you try again make sure that the carb is right.

Keith
Old 04-23-2004, 03:43 PM

dampner

also the outer dampner ring could be spinning on the inner ring??? so when you time it, it is way off been there done that it sucks
Jesse
Old 04-23-2004, 03:48 PM

I know this is silly, but there is a rotor in the Distributer?
Old 04-23-2004, 03:51 PM

I know this is silly, but there is a rotor in the Distributer?
hey they did that on boyd codintons on one oth the shows
Jesse
stuff that happens when
A to many people work on one vehicle
B the job took a lot longer thanit should of
Old 05-02-2004, 12:32 PM

hey sorry i havent replied in a while guys.. i got back from my holiday to mexico last nite.. well this morning i checked the valves and there all good.. not over tighted at all.. as i was hoping that was the quike fix.. but now im stuck thinking again, just curios if anyone no's why it would turn over slowly?? got a new battery.. the starter is pretty much brand new.. used for 2 months.. startin to think thats part of the problem... i gota get a friend over to help me wit checking for spark
Old 05-02-2004, 05:11 PM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

If the distributor is too far advanced the engine will turn over slowly and the engine will not start.

Try retarding the distributor some while cranking.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:23 PM

UPDATE!

well no progress guys... i retimed checked all my wires.. and i did try moving the distributer.. if i go one way to much it spits thro the carb.. i go the other way and now its spittin thro the pipes.. but when i have it in the middle between the bad news it just turns over..... doesnt even try to fire.. should i try cranking it for a bit? or would it just at least try to fire a bit rite??

i meant it should try to fire a bit rite? if i turn it over for a couple seconds? and yes it has gas.. i looked into the carb and everything.. it shoots a steady stream
Old 05-06-2004, 01:29 AM

You HAVE to have the distributor installed firing on no 1 position when it should be on no.6! Its very easy to do. When you line the dots up on a sbc and then leave it in that position till distributor time , it is in no 6 spot! turn it over 1 rev and put it back in on 1. ( or notch out the other side of the bottom of your rotor and just turn it around) I am speaking from experience here. Just did that tonight myself! I had ALL the same symptoms you have there. Remember, just because the 1 piston is at the top when you have the rotor pointing to 1 on the cap does not mean it's right. It could be no 6's turn to fire and the pointer is now wrong for everything . Let us know.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.