New Motown block question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2006, 01:23 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

New Motown block question

Just bought a Motown prepped block and noticed a hole in the casting at the base of the left rear cylinder leading into the cam cavity and the cavity above the rear cap. I can't attach pic because it's too large and I don't know how to shrink it. Brought it to World on LI and they said it was normal and showed me some other blocks that had it. Still just wondering if anyone who bought one has the same hole. It doesn't seem to me it would compromise the block structurally and may be there for a reason(World didn't elaborate, just said it was normal). Never recall seeing a hole like this in a block, but I haven't done much engine building: a friend who has is going to help me with the build. Thanks to all who reply! Andy

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2006, 12:52 PM

It Should Be Rugular...mabe A Oil Feed Or A Pressure Release...merlin Blocks Are Fitted With Alot Of Hightech Stuff.... They Have The Clearance To Fit Enormouse Stroker Cranks.. and extra strong castings
Old 04-17-2006, 01:05 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

block

Well it's almost imposable to tell with-out a picture.... Is it a machined hole or a casting hole?????

keith
Old 04-18-2006, 07:09 AM

Last photo:

I downloaded a pic in My photo gallery. The hole is right above the bright spot (flashlight) on the right cylinder.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:20 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

block

The last motown block i built did not have that hole there... I would spray some brakecleen into that hole and see if it comes out some place...If it's a oil drain you will see it come out the top of the block in the lifter galley..... It sure looks like there would be water right where that hole is?????

I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about that hole..... If i would be building that engine i would at least pressure check that side of the block to make 100 percent sure there is not any issues with it before i assembled it.... But that just me....

Keith
Old 04-18-2006, 01:06 PM

Last photo:

Keith
The hole goes right through to the cavity where the distributor comes down. You can reach around with your finger into this area: it's all connected. I spoke to someone at World today and he said that it's a relief for the end of the distributor and when I went there I was shown other blocks with the same hole. Maybe I'm just being paranoid(did he show me all the reject blocks? lol) but it cost a pantload of money and would like to be sure. I wouldn't think World would want to risk their rep putting out crappy parts. The cam bearings were a little scratched(this is the prepped block), so they are going to install new ones free of charge. I don't have a lot of experience building engines, so I'm wondering if this makes sense. Thank you and all who responded. Andy
Old 04-18-2006, 01:17 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

block

I am going to send you a PM..

keith

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.