new muscle cars - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2010, 11:14 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Mopar Guy
No, warranty.
That's why quite a large section of new car buyers ARE new car buyers!

warranty that is a funny one ..... what is that costing new car buyer 20+ grand, plus new car buyer gets to take his car back ... mm 3 - 4 times to get it fixed, if they change enough parts. Most of the time the repairs are worse then the original problem ... no thanks, newer is cheeper.

Like I said the guy with the grease on his hands has a much happier car owning experience .......... with a whole lot less hassle... yeah 20 + grand, aka debt, a warranty, car back and forth, waiting in line, if one has the time to waste...... what a deal !!

Just having some fun, not trying to hurt new car buyer's feelings but the statement just comes across like something a salesmen or the government would say ...

We will take good care of you and your problems just give me your money.. pay no attention to the fact we do not know what we are doing ..just a minor problem and we will fix that shortly .

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2010, 11:32 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

A new car has a warranty is the point. My new car hasn't needed any warranty work at all, so I cannot speak to how well the problems would have been taken care of other than to say the problems (IF they had existed in the first place) WOULD have been properly dealt with- even if it took my "overseeing" the repairs.

Don't want to pay for a new muscle car and suffer the depreciation and warranty costs? That's easily resolved- do what 90% of the old muscle car buyers did, back in the day- buy USED!
Old 06-26-2010, 11:38 AM
WFO

Last photo:

BTW, here at least, IF service outside normal maintenance is required, the dealer will- at your request- either come out an pick up your car and return it after the repairs or will chauffeur you home from dropping the car off, then return to take you back to get your car. If this is during working hours, they do the same think, except drive you to and from work.

Perhaps if you actually owned a new car, you might find these things out for yourself- but in the meantime, don't yammer on about things that you obviously know not one damned thing about.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:13 PM
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I just can't see 30+ years from now a 2010 Hyundai being a collector car though .

Vince
Old 06-26-2010, 01:33 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
I just can't see 30+ years from now a 2010 Hyundai being a collector car though .

Vince
Last evening on the B/J auction on Speed, there was a repainted Trans Am, like an '83 that was donated to a vo-tech in CA because there was some damage to it in transit, I guess it was a tax write-off.

The kids repainted the car two or three times but was otherwise an unmolested vehicle w/83 miles on it IIRC!!

It had the cross fire engine, sold for something like $14K- which was a lot more than I thought it was worth. But if it had been any kind of a collector car, it would have sold for a ton more than that.

I suspect the 2010 Hyundai will be in the same position in the years to come.

Last edited by cobalt327; 06-26-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepi
warranty that is a funny one ..... what is that costing new car buyer 20+ grand, plus new car buyer gets to take his car back ... mm 3 - 4 times to get it fixed, if they change enough parts. Most of the time the repairs are worse then the original problem ... no thanks, newer is cheeper.

Like I said the guy with the grease on his hands has a much happier car owning experience .......... with a whole lot less hassle... yeah 20 + grand, aka debt, a warranty, car back and forth, waiting in line, if one has the time to waste...... what a deal !!

Just having some fun, not trying to hurt new car buyer's feelings but the statement just comes across like something a salesmen or the government would say ...

We will take good care of you and your problems just give me your money.. pay no attention to the fact we do not know what we are doing ..just a minor problem and we will fix that shortly .
I think Cobalt covered you pretty well.... but let me add....

The dealership mechanic "idiot" doing warranty work is better than more than just a few "backyard mechanics" with grease all over their hands working on their own cars. I'm sure the dealership mechanics that aren't the world's greatest think they are better than they are. I also think a lot of guys working on their own cars to save money aren't as good as THEY think they are.
Many people with older musclecars PAY shops to work on their cars. These shops employ the ocassional dummy, just like dealerships do.

Here is the part that flies over your head, IMO anyways...

Many people nowadays don't want a car that requires constant work. Many people don't want a car they can't turn the key, put it into gear, and drive away in. Many people don't want poor gas mileage, less than optimal drivability, lack a creature comforts, many people don't want to stare at gauges on their daily commute, they want to watch their GPS and navigation. Many people like cars that LOOK cool to them, PERFORM better than most commuter cars, and if something goes wrong they make a phone call, drive a courtesy car, and pick up the car when it is finished.
IT'S AS SIMPLE AS THAT.

My wife's Magnum R/T hasn't had any troubles at 65,000+k so far. It had a recall for a trans o-ring which was done during a scheduled oil change so it wasn't even something to mention, but that was it- so far.

The new cars are built pretty well in general, the build quality is up from the 1960's, I can assure you.

I'm an old car fan because of the old car's PERSONALITIES, not because of their superiority in every category over a new car.
Some old cars are killer cool as far as the look, the feel, etc- but new cars are technologically superior, and that's just a fact.

I would take my Jensen Interceptor, 2x4bbl 440 and it's warts and all 1974 build quality any day over a new car, but stock vs stock the new cars would make my choice look silly.
IMO anyways...
Old 06-26-2010, 05:23 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28

Vince
I think that depends on what becomes of Hyundai in 30 years, they are well on their way to being in the top 5 manufacturers in the world, Kia is moving up there too. I'm sure there were people in the '70s who didn't think the little Datsuns and Toyotas could ever be collector cars, but many of them are now.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:42 PM

Last photo:

Toyota 2000gt comes to mind.....

Ussssssualllyy there is aesthetics involved, like the above or the Datsun 240z/260z, that kind of thing.... though the 510s are fairly collectible now, and they were a true box on wheels IMO....
Old 06-26-2010, 06:06 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott
I think that depends on what becomes of Hyundai in 30 years
Makes me almost glad to know I'll probably be too old to give a crap one way or the other by then...
Old 06-26-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwagner17
Hey supshift were you there?
Yea, I was there. I took my 67 chevelle with a LQ4 6.0 4l80e. It was nice to be able to park up close. I went with my brother that has an 81 z28 with and LS1 and 4l60e. I would have raced also but we had shorts on instead of jeans. You had to have long pants on to race.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:13 PM

There is no substitute for brute force. I can't remember if I have ever seen a new car twist a driveshaft into a pretzel or tear the spring perches off of the diff housing or even twist the frame to the point where the left front and right rear tires are off of the ground. I grew up with the kings of Detroit Iron and no matter what they build or will build, I do not think that they will ever return to those magnificent testimonials of true power again. Does anyone know of a newer car that can be driven to the track, run mid 11's to low 12's on bias ply nylon tires weighing in at roughly 5000 lbs and haul the family around during the week.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:21 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oval Man
There is no substitute for brute force. I can't remember if I have ever seen a new car twist a driveshaft into a pretzel or tear the spring perches off of the diff housing or even twist the frame to the point where the left front and right rear tires are off of the ground.
That isn't a sign of less power, that is a sign of chassis designs that are far superior to the old stuff. Even 1000hp is not a big deal for some modern chassis.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Mopar Guy
Toyota 2000gt comes to mind.....

Ussssssualllyy there is aesthetics involved, like the above or the Datsun 240z/260z, that kind of thing.... though the 510s are fairly collectible now, and they were a true box on wheels IMO....
Thats a great car!
Old 06-29-2010, 10:48 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oval Man
Does anyone know of a newer car that can be driven to the track, run mid 11's to low 12's on bias ply nylon tires weighing in at roughly 5000 lbs and haul the family around during the week.
Why would anyone possibly WANT to run a "bias ply nylon tire" on anything new OR old is beyond me, but lots of newer stuff puts the older stuff to shame as far as performance goes....

Chad's Viper- the "Heffner" car- comes directly to mind. Completely streetable/drivable, creature comforts like a big stereo even, and the times he runs make a mid 11 look like a transit bus.

This Dodge Magnum is daily drivable, very streetable, and weighs 4700 pounds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWn2-yQozMs

I love the older stuff for it's personality, but performance-wise it's tough to beat technology. IMO anyways.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfiya
Thats a great car!
Seems not many know about them, but for a late 1960's car the styling was pretty danged great.
And it's a TOYOTA.
Crazy.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.