new muscle cars - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2010, 08:26 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

new muscle cars

I went to the HOTROD POWER TOUR well the start of it any way in Newton Iowa, the event was awesome thank you Hotrod...
But i was really disapointed in the New era muscle cars theY look great, sound alright but apparently are SLOOOWWW.
There was this BIG BROWN TURD car out there beating them, I dont know what the turd was but you've all seen them, the really big, ugly, you would think slow turd of a car, beating NEW SUPPOSED TO BE FAST Camaros and Mustangs and Chargers. It must have been embarrasing them because they started only racing other New Muscle and Ocasionaly a new versus old the new one always lost.

COME ON GUYS , GM, FORD, DODGE WHATS UP WITH THESE WEAK CARS?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2010, 08:49 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwagner17
I went to the HOTROD POWER TOUR well the start of it any way in Newton Iowa, the event was awesome thank you Hotrod...
But i was really disapointed in the New era muscle cars theY look great, sound alright but apparently are SLOOOWWW.
There was this BIG BROWN TURD car out there beating them, I dont know what the turd was but you've all seen them, the really big, ugly, you would think slow turd of a car, beating NEW SUPPOSED TO BE FAST Camaros and Mustangs and Chargers. It must have been embarrasing them because they started only racing other New Muscle and Ocasionaly a new versus old the new one always lost.

COME ON GUYS , GM, FORD, DODGE WHATS UP WITH THESE WEAK CARS?
I hope this is an attempt at being facetious. Most of the new V6 cars are high 13/ low 14 second cars. Their V8 brethren are quite a bit faster (the new Mustang GT has been clocked at 12.7 in the quarter mile. For a stock, daily-drivable car with all of the modern amenities and a two-ton curb weight to boot, that's pretty damn impressive.

If anything, you're seeing the results of an extremely inexperienced driver.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:32 PM

Last photo:

The muscle cars of the '60s could be bought with OVER 500 "real" horsepower! The ratings were lower for insurance reasons.

Todays cars are more sophisticated, which helps, but they are trying to make up for a lack of cubic inches... lack of compression... lack of radical cam timing... lack of huge ports... lack of huge intakes and carburetors... lack of high octane gas, and substitute them with more precise fuel metering, better tires, and lighter weight. The result is not quite up to the task.

My 409 '62 Chevy Biscayne would spin the early slicks all the way to 90MPH!
Old 06-14-2010, 12:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonJay
The muscle cars of the '60s could be bought with OVER 500 "real" horsepower! The ratings were lower for insurance reasons.
They make station wagons with over 500hp now and that is rated with all accessories and full exhaust. The up coming Cadillac CTS-V Wagon does 0-60 in 4.1 seconds and it should easily be in the 13-14 second 1/4 mile range. It will even hold its own against some Porsches around the Nurburgring, not sure if it will be in the Porsche 911 Carrera S range like the sedan is, but I'm sure it would at least be around the Porsche Cayman S.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:44 PM

Last photo:

These races were for fun and the E.T. and speeds were not displayed so I dont know how fast they actually were I just saw them get beat pretty consitently.They were being beat by just about everything.

some of them might have been inexperianced drivers, I dont have a way to know that.
The car companys advertise them (i dont remember the numbers) to have so much more power and performance and I just didnt see it.
I just wasnt impressed, actually disappointed with there performance.

I dont mean to offend anyone just telling what I saw, and seeing what others think.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:48 PM

Last photo:

"Most of the new V6 cars are high 13/ low 14 second cars"

Why would they even put a V-6 in a Muscle car?
nobody wants a Camaro or a Mustang or Charger with a V-6, if you buy a Camaro you are attempting to buy something with power and performance.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:10 PM

Last photo:

That's fine, I'm not here to argue either. All I'm saying is that new cars are undeniably faster than cars from anytime before.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:54 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwagner17
Why would they even put a V-6 in a Muscle car?
nobody wants a Camaro or a Mustang or Charger with a V-6, if you buy a Camaro you are attempting to buy something with power and performance.
They had straight 6s in the 60's, so I don't see the big deal. At least now they have 300hp and 30mpg from those V6s. So they are making more power than the lower end V8s did in the 60s and they are much more efficient, so using one as an every day driver is no big deal even when we have $3/gallon gas.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:26 PM

Last photo:

V-8 baby V-8
Old 06-16-2010, 03:57 PM

Last photo:

I see em every week at the strip and I must say they are mostly overhyped.You have to remember the factory is doing again what they did in the 60's giving magazines ringers to test.You can bet that magazine test cars are gone over with a fine tooth comb before being released to the press.If most new stangs run 12.6 my bu must be an 11 second terror becuase I regularly outrun new iron by several car lenghts.(no it won't run an 11 YET)
Old 06-16-2010, 05:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnym17
I see em every week at the strip and I must say they are mostly overhyped.You have to remember the factory is doing again what they did in the 60's giving magazines ringers to test.You can bet that magazine test cars are gone over with a fine tooth comb before being released to the press.If most new stangs run 12.6 my bu must be an 11 second terror becuase I regularly outrun new iron by several car lenghts.(no it won't run an 11 YET)
412hp in a 3800lbs package is a little hard to overhype. A dohc 5.0L V8 with an 11:1 compression ratio and a 7k rpm redline is every bit as race-ready as a factory motor has been in decades. I'm sorry you can't tell the difference between a 5 year old car and a brand new one.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:12 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

If straight line 1/4 mile acceleration on street tires w/an inexperienced driver is how a car was measured against another sorted out car, sure- the new iron might have its *** handed to it. No different now than when the 454 BBC/Chevelle and L-88 'Vette was around. In the wrong hands and/or ill prepared, these "muscle cars" were laughable!

But the current crop of performance cars perform better than anything that has preceded them in large part. How many old school "muscle cars" can run the times that even a newer run-of-the-mill Mustang GT can run? Never mind any of the truly 'hot' offerings.

And, the new cars do this w/20 mpg capability, AC blasting and a 400-plus watt stereo system. Plus FAR better comfort, handling and safety.

I haven't broken it down to old dollars, but I'm willing to bet the new cars aren't any more expensive, either.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:13 PM

Last photo:

"I see em every week at the strip and I must say they are mostly overhyped.You have to remember the factory is doing again what they did in the 60's giving magazines ringers to test"

You would think that at the HOTROD POWER TOUR they would have a few ringers.

Last edited by jlwagner17; 06-16-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327

But the current crop of performance cars perform better than anything that has preceded them in large part. How many old school "muscle cars" can run the times that even a newer run-of-the-mill Mustang GT can run? .
thats kinda the point I was trying to make, they are supposed to perform better than the older cars BUT they sure didnt apprear to.
Old 60's and 70's 80's cars were all beating the the NEW MUSCLE.
Granted some of them might have been tweaked a little but if the new are supposed to perform so much better you would think they might atleast keep up.
there was a 4000lb big brown turd beating them, I dont know if you want to blame on inexperience or what, but they were ALL getting beat by the turd and everything else out there.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:05 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

If you believe that by attending ONE meet and watching a day's racing that you can extrapolate the entire performance "scene", I believe you're mistaken.

Brown turds aside (there are MANY bad-A cars that don't look the part, aka "sleepers") the new cars will kick **** out of the old school muscle. That's the point I'M making- modded, sorted out drag cars are not the same thing, and shouldn't be compared to the new, 'showroom stock' cars, IMO.

FWIW, I've owned several cars over the years that will SLAY anything Detroit has ever made- then or now. But that shouldn't (and doesn't) reflect poorly on today's stock muscle.

In the years ahead, you will look back and realize that NOW is the golden age of performance.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.